Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

9 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m saying his slash line will improve. His k’s will be a lot fewer. His defense will be better- probably at 3b if he gets moved. 

His flashes of athleticism are great, but he’ll be a more well-rounded player by the end of 2019. 

That sounds great but what do you base that on?  Maybe if he drops swith-hitting. He is actually striking out at a slightly hgiher % this year compared to last.  I would not count on 3B. It was pretty bad when the Red Sox tried it. Maybe if he has to move, he could try corner outfield. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't see the rush in moving him to third base. Maybe if Madrigal were really flying up the chart, but as of now, Nick projects in MLB as a 2B who may offer good defense but doesn't hit for power nor get on base enough to justify moving guys over for his arrival. If he tweaks his approach to start taking walks, then it's a different discussion, but at the moment, I see a guy whose offensive game is solely reliant on singles and batting average, which could result in a deceptively ok but actually ugly .290/.315/.340 type of line. 

I would expect Madrigal to hit a lot higher than .290.  A slash line of .310/.340/.380 seems like a conservative projection for him IMO with upside for more power & walks.

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

That sounds great but what do you base that on?  Maybe if he drops swith-hitting. He is actually striking out at a slightly hgiher % this year compared to last.  I would not count on 3B. It was pretty bad when the Red Sox tried it. Maybe if he has to move, he could try corner outfield. 

Experience. I think it’ll get through to him that he needs to be more aggressive with two strikes and just get the bat on the ball. I guess I’m just being optimistic that these tools he has turn into a baseball player.

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Go season by season.  Again, this is a great comp.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/baezja01.shtml

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

His K rate is like 26% over the last month, which is substantial improvement.

And how many games are you basing this 3B assessment off of?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would expect Madrigal to hit a lot higher than .290.  A slash line of .310/.340/.380 seems like a conservative projection for him IMO with upside for more power & walks.

I'm sorry, as much as I want that to be the case, I have a hard time thinking that a .310 batting average could be a "conservative" projection for any prospect, even one who maximizes balls on play as much as Madrigal should. 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

How so?

Are you serious?  Did you not see what he looked like in his first go round with Boston?  He hasn't improved from 12 K's in 19 ABs?  His first full month with the Sox was .182/.327/.668 and 38 K's in 88 PAs.  He hasn't improved past that?

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I'm sorry, as much as I want that to be the case, I have a hard time thinking that a .310 batting average could be a "conservative" projection for any prospect, even one who maximizes balls on play as much as Madrigal should. 

He needs more line drives added to his swing. If he was Billy Hamilton, maybe he could hit .310 with all the choppers he hits.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are you serious?  Did you not see what he looked like in his first go round with Boston?  He hasn't improved from 12 K's in 19 ABs?  His first full month with the Sox was .182/.327/.668 and 38 K's in 88 PAs.  He hasn't improved past that?

I was not taking his Boston time into consideration.  Since he's been on the WSox, he is a similar player IMO. A little better contact but worse defense than a year ago.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Honestly, with his hit tool and speed I don’t see it ever being much lower once he reaches maturity.  I think .290 is more of a downside case if his hit tool is as good as advertised.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Go season by season.  Again, this is a great comp.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/baezja01.shtml

If Moncada can get his K's to Baez's level that would be helpful.  I didn't realize how close of a comparison it was for first full year until I saw it mentioned on this thread.  I will take Javy Baez year 3 for Moncada in year 3 if he can improve that much.  Let's see if he can maintain the mid-20's K-rate.  His walk rate has spiked as well....he is getting less of the outside ball called a strike it seems lately.

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If you  think Madrigal is gonna hit  .310 in his rookie year, you're most likely gonna be disappointed. How often does a rookie hit over .300? 

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, with his hit tool and speed I don’t see it ever being much lower once he reaches maturity.  I think .290 is more of a downside case if his hit tool is as good as advertised.

I’m talking about during his prime as the post above indicates.  It will most definitely take some time to get there, but a kid with an elite hit tool / bat control should be able to hit .300 or so upon maturity.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m talking about during his prime as the post above indicates.  It will most definitely take some time to get there, but a kid with an elite hit tool / bat control should be able to hit .300 or so upon maturity.

I hope you're right, but I think you're using "elite" pretty liberally. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Smart observation.  Good news is, batting average is only one piece of player value.  

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

His numbers are pedestrian across the board and down from 2017 in almost every category. 

What happened with Boston almost two years ago is  ancient history at this point. 

Also, have you looked at his defensive numbers this year? They are pretty atrocious. 

Here are some fun numbers to digest. 

Kyle Schwarber 2018 DRS=4, 2018 UZR=6.4

Yoan Moncada 2018 DRS=1, 2018 UZR= -3.0

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

His numbers are pedestrian across the board and down from 2017 in almost every category. 

What happened with Boston almost two years ago is  ancient history at this point. 

Also, have you looked at his defensive numbers this year? They are pretty atrocious. 

So you cite a guy who was an awful defender who somehow got good as proof of what exactly? That doesn’t show Moncada can get better?  I’m not sure I get your angle here other than the relentless b****fest over Moncada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

:banghead:

As has been said, the extent to which folks are penciling Nick Madrigal into the lineup and beyond is the kind of thinking that will generally set the stage for disappointment. I don't take it as a given at all that he'll even be a MLB player. I'd like to see him hit the pitching in the low minors first, preferably. A lot of stuff can happen between now and whenever he finds his way to AAA.