Trust the process

wrathofhahn

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

I mean how high can it go? At this rate, laugh if you will but in five years parking will be 60-70 dollars for a fricking baseball game; a hotdog will be 20 dollars; a burger 25 dollars; a beer 20-25 dollars; a soft drink probably stay about 10 dollars; a cotton candy 15 dollars. It's coming. I really don't understand how baseball teams make the kind of profits we read about. I thought ESPN was going broke laying off people. It's a very weird dynamic. Baseball teams are worth so much money, yet the average person certainly can't afford to attend a game today much less in five years when those prices I mentioned figure to be reality.

Greg: I posted on this site years ago that one of the biggest deficiencies the White Sox have must be the lack of corporate season tickets. I worked in New England for my career and every company in creation had Red Sox tickets. My company had 8 tickets and at least 10-12 of my vendors had season tickets. So the $100 rickets and $30 parking at Fenway was much easier when the game was free and you could use the T to park and ride to games. Celtic/Bruin tisa were also prevalent but not as much for Patriots. In addition, corporate tickets means the seats are sold even if there is not a fanny in the seats. I had to make a trip to Chicago in the early 2000's to a large Bank and they offered to take me to a Cubs game while i was in town for a few days. There office staff all semmed like Cub fans so I declined. I regret i didn't go and at least see Wrigley in hindsight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But I was very clearly told that fans supported the rebuild.

Let’s be clear about the fans and “managements’” rebuild.  The fans “support” this do-over because they really don’t have any other choice.  The so-called “rebuild” is the one and only lifeline being thrown to the fan base as a way out of the abysmal run of baseball that has unfolded on the South Side the past decade or so.  It’s the only blade of hope that the fans can cling to in hopes of breaking the 4th longest playoff drought in baseball.  It’s the only option at this point to change the summer conversation around Guaranteed Rate Field from, yet again, wondering who the team will choose with their high pick in the following summer’s draft to the division race in which the team is currently in.  

That’s why the fans “support the rebuild”.  It’s all we have at this very low point in the team’s history.  

• Like 2

Look, you can be anti-rebuild. I don't agree, but can respect that stance. You can hate the strategy or the execution or both.

But there is NO argument to ABANDON it at this point. It's happening, it's underway, and we've begun paying the price. Why on earth would you want them to stop NOW? Do you realize how much worse it would be NOT to stay the course?

17 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Let’s be clear about the fans and “managements’” rebuild.  The fans “support” this do-over because they really don’t have any other choice.  The so-called “rebuild” is the one and only lifeline being thrown to the fan base as a way out of the abysmal run of baseball that has unfolded on the South Side the past decade or so.  It’s the only blade of hope that the fans can cling to in hopes of breaking the 4th longest playoff drought in baseball.  It’s the only option at this point to change the summer conversation around Guaranteed Rate Field from, yet again, wondering who the team will choose with their high pick in the following summer’s draft to the division race in which the team is currently in.  

That’s why the fans “support the rebuild”.  It’s all we have at this very low point in the team’s history.  

I think Sox fans are much more on board with the current rebuild and direction than if we were a mediocre team with a thin farm system. We get to add another high upside prospect at #4 overall to the system in June as well, likely a college player that could be up in 2-3 years. 

Patience is going to be key, but this team will look very different by 2020.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Look, you can be anti-rebuild. I don't agree, but can respect that stance. You can hate the strategy or the execution or both.

But there is NO argument to ABANDON it at this point. It's happening, it's underway, and we've begun paying the price. Why on earth would you want them to stop NOW? Do you realize how much worse it would be NOT to stay the course?

I'm not even sure how abandoning the rebuild would be an option at this point considering how far in we are? 2018 and 2019 are likely pretty grim seasons, but it allows us to fully stock up the farm system for the next 4-8 seasons if done right. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

I'm not even sure how abandoning the rebuild would be an option at this point considering how far in we are? 2018 and 2019 are likely pretty grim seasons, but it allows us to fully stock up the farm system for the next 4-8 seasons if done right. 

Blowing $30-50mm on multi-year deals for Jake Arrieta and Mike Moustakas, just to win 71 games instead of 64, earning us a worse draft pick in the short term and tying up resources and roster spots on declining veterans during our competitive window instead of using those resources to get better players that fills important voids on the roster.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This team is not going to lose 106 games. That is ridiculous. 

Unlikely, but not ridiculous. If the Sox go 4-14 the next 18 before they’ve played one game against the Indians, I think they have it in them.

.360 ball the rest of the season gets them at 56-106. There are three teams that could lose 100+ this year, and probably will. 

• Like 1

Hypothetically let's say we signed Moustakas.

So far on the season, Moustakas has been worth 1.0 fWAR and 0.8 rWAR. 
Our current 3b, Yolmer Sanchez, has been worth 0.6 fWAR and 0.9 rWAR.

While Moustakas is better with the bat, Yolmer is better with the glove and with celebrations at home plate. Depending on who's numbers you use, your expenditure on Moustakas is at best a sliver of an upgrade.

But wait, in your brilliance you realize that you also are going to use Moustakas at DH sometimes. Congratulations you've now lost an extra game to the Royals by benching Matt Davidson against Jakob Junis, a right handed pitcher! You have now improved our draft position.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah, with Sale, Eaton, and Quintana gone, we are past the point of no return.

2 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

No "35  years"?  You are slipping.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Hypothetically let's say we signed Moustakas.

So far on the season, Moustakas has been worth 1.0 fWAR and 0.8 rWAR. 
Our current 3b, Yolmer Sanchez, has been worth 0.6 fWAR and 0.9 rWAR.

While Moustakas is better with the bat, Yolmer is better with the glove and with celebrations at home plate. Depending on who's numbers you use, your expenditure on Moustakas is at best a sliver of an upgrade.

But wait, in your brilliance you realize that you also are going to use Moustakas at DH sometimes. Congratulations you've now lost an extra game to the Royals by benching Matt Davidson against Jakob Junis, a right handed pitcher! You have now improved our draft position.

You also would not have this

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I mean how high can it go? At this rate, laugh if you will but in five years parking will be 60-70 dollars for a fricking baseball game; a hotdog will be 20 dollars; a burger 25 dollars; a beer 20-25 dollars; a soft drink probably stay about 10 dollars; a cotton candy 15 dollars. It's coming. I really don't understand how baseball teams make the kind of profits we read about. I thought ESPN was going broke laying off people. It's a very weird dynamic. Baseball teams are worth so much money, yet the average person certainly can't afford to attend a game today much less in five years when those prices I mentioned figure to be reality.

LMFAO

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm just seeing this post now, as I have greg on ignore. Man, this guy really does live in his own world, ignoring ALL facts. 

Let's say I wanted to go to the game tomorrow. Let's take a look on StubHub.

Ok, so I can sit downstairs for $6 bucks.

But the food is really going to get me. Oh wait, it's $1 hotdog day, because it's Wednesday and the Sox have been doing that for two seasons now. Better get them now before they raise the price 2000% in 5 years. 

Parking? Oh that's right the Sox have a 2 CTA stops next to the park, I wonder if I should take the Red line or the Green line. Both will cost me $2.50. 

BUT THE PRICES! THE OWNERS! THEY ARE CRIMINALS! 

I think this means you now officially took possession of greg's soul.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Do the Sox use Aramark as their vendor?  If so, I don't think you could pay me a $1 to eat one of their hot dogs.

i think their official hot dog is still Vienna Beef

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The dollar hot dogs are the big ones, at least they were last year.

Really considering taking a half day and going to the game tomorrow. The game also has the "Bleachers and Brews" promotion. It's the perfect storm. Spend $25 and you have a ticket, 2 beers and 3 hot dogs.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, with Sale, Eaton, and Quintana gone, we are past the point of no return.

Right -- remember all those conversations we all had where we asked ourselves if the top two free agents in the class would be enough to make us a contender with Sale, Quintana, and Eaton as a core?

Ok, now ask the same question except without Sale, Quintana, and Eaton.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Do the Sox use Aramark as their vendor?  If so, I don't think you could pay me a $1 to eat one of their hot dogs.

They're Vienna Beef.

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Really considering taking a half day and going to the game tomorrow. The game also has the "Bleachers and Brews" promotion. It's the perfect storm. Spend $25 and you have a ticket, 2 beers and 3 hot dogs.

And the Family 4 Packs, which allows a family of 4 to sit in the bleachers, get 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks and 4 bags of chips for $79