Sox vs Cards @ Busch, 7:15pm

38 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Mid season last year the White Sox traded there entire bullpen. I thought trading Robertson and Jennings was wrong. I still think it was wrong. I viewed both of those trades as simply salary dumps. They replaced Jennings with Bummer and this year they put Soria in the closers role that Robertson had. Its bad enough this team has Soria as its closer, keep in mind the White Sox are paying this guy 8 MILLION DOLLARS. What a waste of money. Maybe the objective of the management is to lose as many games as possible in order to get a higher draft pick.

The Royals signed Moustakas for a base salary of $5.5M and a $1M buyout. Now they will be the ones to flip him when the time comes. Who would you rather have to flip Soria or Moustakas ? Who would you rather have Soria in the bullpen or Moustakas as the every day 3rd baseman ?

39 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Soria was signed to pitch in a pen that desperately needed pitchers while some younger pitchers developed in the minors during a development year. That's it, nothing more. We all knew he wasn't the same pitcher he once was so expectations were not high to begin with. This isn't surprising at all.

Soria wasn't signed.

30 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I tried that once before. I simply wanted to be interviewed for the GM job but I didn't get a response from JR. I've often wondered if Hahn is really the GM. Does he make the major decisions by himself or is he being  told what to do by JR and Kenny Williams? Spending $8 million dollars on somebody like Soria is nuts.

This can't be real.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Royals signed Moustakas for a base salary of $5.5M and a $1M buyout. Now they will be the ones to flip him when the time comes. Who would you rather have to flip Soria or Moustakas ? Who would you rather have Soria in the bullpen or Moustakas as the every day 3rd baseman ?

I really doubt that he would have signed that deal with anyone but KC.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why didn't you get a Master's degree in Sports Administration and prove yourself in the minor or independent leagues first?  At least you would have some basis to be considered.

Any armchair QB with a rotisserie league team probably fantasizes about being the next Billy Beane or DePodesta, but you have to have a background in analytics/quantitative analysis and strong business, marketing and communication skills as well to succeed in this role.

He has to be kidding. Right? Even the qualifications you listed MIGHT get you considered for a Scouting Coordinator position at the absolutely most, and that’s a stretch unless a person has somehow already gone to scout school in the AFL.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I really doubt that he would have signed that deal with anyone but KC.

Why wouldn't he ? It was a 1 year deal designed to get him to free agency next year. It's not like he had much of a choice. I think anyone who offered him maybe $7.5M this year could've had him. No one else wanted him. I will say this though , there's a mutual option for next year for $15M AAV so both have he and the Royals have to agree to it. That can also happen . Chances are probably pretty slim he takes the option if he has another good year.

5 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

He has to be kidding. Right? Even the qualifications you listed MIGHT get you considered for a Scouting Coordinator position at the absolutely most, and that’s a stretch unless a person has somehow already gone to scout school in the AFL.

Hopefully he can at LEAST speak Spanish.

You don't necessarily need an MBA and JD degree like Hahn or Quin Snyder, but it sure doesn't hurt to have one or the other...if you're not studying sports management/administration specifically.

Then, your chances go down appreciably if you weren't at least a Division 1-caliber athlete in baseball/basketball/football.  That means you need to work 2X-3X as hard for 25-50% as much money starting out and trying to break into the field.  Doing crazy things like volunteering to go work in the Dominican Summer League or especially Venezuela (winter ball/year-round training academy) these days.

9 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I think the point is this guy is saying he wanted to be considered as a GM but has never said he is qualified. He is coming off as somewhat of an uninformed unrealistic fan with delusions of a conspiracy theory that this isn't a rebuild but a scam by Reindorf to make money before he sells off the team. That's why many are poking fun . to put it mildly at him.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Every team in baseball would have signed him to that amount. It was the draft pick that prevented everyone from.  Fear not, Moustakas will be here next year on a huge deal.

Just now, fathom said:

Every team in baseball would have signed him to that amount. It was the draft pick that prevented everyone from.  Fear not, Moustakas will be here next year on a huge deal.

I was waiting for someone to hit me with the draft pick and it's a legit point, Of course since he came from the Royals the Royals are the only team that could've signed him without the draft pick attached and the hit to the international cap. Even though I thought Moose was worth it as many didn't . I acknowledged in spring training  the Sox wouldn't sign him because of the draft pick and the Sox wanted another year of tanking for the draft choices.

My thinking was if the Sox signed him then sold him at the deadline there was a good chance he nets more than a the draft pick would've been worth.

So you are thinking no chance on Machado playing 3rd and the Sox signing him and Donaldson too old and also will probably have a draft pick attached and Sox won't take the chance of waiting for Arenado or Rendon ?

I came here expecting to see excitement over Shields' start and found griping about a washed-up closer? C'mon man! If Shields gets on a roll he could actually bring something of value to make up for the putrid trade to get him. And this won't be the last game Soria loses in a Sox jersey. Just have the remote nearby when he takes the mound. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Soria, because no draft pick was lost to acquire him and he won't cost the team 4-9 spots in the draft by having a good season in a meaningless year. You may scoff at that idea, but 4 spots in the draft can be the difference between drafting Carlos Correa and Kyle Zimmer or Alex Bregman and Tyler Jay.

14 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Soria, because no draft pick was lost to acquire him and he won't cost the team 4-9 spots in the draft by having a good season in a meaningless year. You may scoff at that idea, but 4 spots in the draft can be the difference between drafting Carlos Correa and Kyle Zimmer or Alex Bregman and Tyler Jay.

W,ich I already discussed with Fathom a few posts above.