Super Fun White Sox Happy Time Game Thread III vs Orioles

Heads22

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty much guarantee the Cubs get either Manny or Harper this offseason in a Durant-style move

Don’t think there’s a chance in hell the Cubs can win the Harper or Machado sweepstakes with the amount of dead money they’ll have on their books and with all their young players hitting arbitration in the next two years.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wow good for Ricky. That was absolutely pathetic by Castillo.

No kidding. That's one area where I respect about him over say.. Ozzie. Not afraid to bench a veteran player. 

Moncada first pitch hunting tonight...change in his usual approach of being super patient.  (Yes, I realize he does have a walk as well, but that's the second time tonight, the first was lineout to 3B in the bottom of the first.)

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t think there’s a chance in hell the Cubs can win the Harper or Machado sweepstakes with the amount of dead money they’ll have on their books and with all their young players hitting arbitration in the next two years.

I'd love to see them commit that much money to yet another outside free agent so that they have no money to resign their core when that bill comes due. I just don't think Theo is dumb enough to do it.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

I'd love to see them commit that much money to yet another outside free agent so that they have no money to resign their core when that bill comes due. I just don't think Theo is dumb enough to do it.

If they get their own network, money won't be much of a detriment.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I want to see them trade Happ, Russell or some combination of their young talent base at the deadline, lose in the first round of the playoffs and see Machado walk in free agency.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If they get their own network, money won't be much of a detriment.

As it stands already, the YES Network struggles to come up with additional content for one of the most storied franchises in sports.

Sure, you've got Santo, Harry Carry, the Billy Goat, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith, Maddux and Sandberg...but that's nothing compared to what the Yankees can work with.

I also think that "winning fatigue" (see ATL Braves) will slowly set in as well.  

1 minute ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

I want to see them trade Happ, Russell or some combination of their young talent base at the deadline, lose in the first round of the playoffs and see Machado walk in free agency.

And then they would sign Harper. Theo isn't that dumb.

3 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

They've (first) got to choose between Almora, Schwarber and Happ.  They seemingly can't keep all 3, Baez, Contreras, Russell, Bryant and Rizzo.  That's too much money, even for the Cubs.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

And then they would sign Harper. Theo isn't that dumb.

You act like there won’t be another half dozen teams willing to offer these guys $350M to $400M contracts.  These guys aren’t going to automatically pick the Cubs because Theo is their GM, that idea is ludicrous.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You act like there won’t be another half dozen teams willing to offer these guys $350M to $400M contracts.  These guys aren’t going to automatically pick the Cubs because Theo is their GM, that idea is ludicrous.

Harper will probably get over $400 million, maybe even $500 million. Machado will likely get $350-$400 million.

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I think if they do their own network, they're going to be very disappointed in the results.

I’m good friends with an intelligent, die-hard Cubs fan and he already acknowledged their next TV deal will be nothing like the crazy ones we’ve seen in recent years.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They've (first) got to choose between Almora, Schwarber and Happ.  They seemingly can't keep all 3, Baez, Contreras, Russell, Bryant and Rizzo.  That's too much money, even for the Cubs.

I would think you have to keep an all,star c Contreras, and Bryant, and probably either one of Russell or Baez. I think Rizzo and Schwarber are expendable from a pure baseball non p.r. perspective.