Paul Sullivan advocates signing Hanley Ramirez

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-hanley-ramirez-sullivan-20180527-story.html

He didn't say it, but the only reason they would seemingly do this would be to flip him again in July if he goes on a hot streak...as they already have Davidson (DL), Palka, Skole, Delmonico, etc., that profile as good candidates for DH at-bats (not to mention Seby Zavala and Ryan Cordell).   Maybe even Avi when he returns from the DL could be "protected" in the beginning at DH?

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

If it's for minimum, why not take a chance? Which I think it is because Boston is covering the rest of his deal this year? If not, take a hike.  No harm in taking a shot at minimum.

So you would rather Hanley DH than Davidson or move Davidson to 3B and bench Yolmer?  

If, the answer is somehow yes, why?

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So you would rather Hanley DH than Davidson or move Davidson to 3B and bench Yolmer?  

If, the answer is somehow yes, why?

No. I was thinking him for more of a floater... essentially rotate him with Palka when he DHs. Now the more i think about it, it really doesnt make sense  

Yeah if they were to sign Hanley, it would pretty much be to see if he can get hot over the next 2 months and you would trade him. If he sucks, you cut bait. Personally, I'd rather just play Davidson and Sanchez every day (unless Sanchez were to see time in the OF as someone on here speculated/posted about).

Edited by soxfan2014

The only reason would be if the team decided it already KNEW what it had in Yolmer....wanted to move him all around the field (especially outfield now) as a supersub and give DH at-bats to Hanley Ramirez in the hopes of flipping him (or simply releasing him pretty quickly if he didn’t go on a hot streak in his first 2-3 weeks with the team).

Depends on how long Matt Davidson’s going to be out.

Or maybe you want to see what Skole can do at DH...the problem, as usual, is his defensive limitations and lack of versatility.

The actual cost would be only about 2/3rd’s of the league minimum salary...and actually one-half of that, because he would be released or traded before July 31st.

Edited by caulfield12

If a team would have some interest in him if he was hot, and he doesn't cost anything, why would they wait to see if he could get hot with another team and then trade for him when they could just bring him on board now and see what they have?

Reminds me of when Hawk picked up George Foster and Steve Carlton when he was GM. The one big difference was they weren't blocking anyone like Hanley would be doing here. I saw enough of Hanley loafing when he was playing LF a couple of years ago to realize he isn't going to help anyone win. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If a team would have some interest in him if he was hot, and he doesn't cost anything, why would they wait to see if he could get hot with another team and then trade for him when they could just bring him on board now and see what they have?

Because otherwise Paul Sullivan would have nothing to write about yesterday!

Could he play LF? He'd never sign here of course.

I was listening to WEEI the other day and they had an interesting observation regarding Hanley his option becomes void in any trade. So it might be a way to get a prospect I'm sure the Redsox would like some relief for potential moves at the deadline.

36 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Could he play LF? He'd never sign here of course.

I was listening to WEEI the other day and they had an interesting observation regarding Hanley his option becomes void in any trade. So it might be a way to get a prospect I'm sure the Redsox would like some relief for potential moves at the deadline.

I don't believe it is voided if traded. It is definitely voided when he is a free agent however.

1 hour ago, Soxnfins said:

If it's for minimum, why not take a chance? Which I think it is because Boston is covering the rest of his deal this year? If not, take a hike.  No harm in taking a shot at minimum.

If it was the OF, that would be one thing.  But IF, no way.  Again, if we had gotten Boston to give us a high level prospect to take on salary, sure that is worth it.  But taking him on to try to flip in two short months while blocking guys we really need to evaluate?  Nah.  The window for Hanley has passed.