Palka

Greg Hibbard

Is there not a thread on him? Every time he hits 1-2 XBH in a game I keep asking myself "Who is this guy and when is he going to come back down to earth?" A few days later, I see another couple of XBH. Is he having a Alejandro De Aza type of "mirage" partial season, or is there a chance he is the real deal? BABIP doesn't look outrageous, his K/BB leaves a lot to be desired but I just don't know what to make of the guy and don't see a lot on him.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he could play even a high school level OF, there would be a lot of excitement about him.  The problem is he is probably the worst OF I have seen in my lifetime, at least since Ivan Calderon.

He has no big league future unless he picks up a 1B mitt and can play it at least as well as Adam Dunn, which is bad, but tolerable if he can produce a 125 wRC+ or thereabouts.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/daniel-palka-594953?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

He hits the ball hard. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2018&abs=50&player_type=resp_batter_id

His Average Exit Velo is eighth.

Barrels per PA? Eighth.

Sprint Speed?

NOT EIGHTH (313). He's basically a slightly faster catcher. I'm in favor of letting him run this hot streak out as DH.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has no big league future unless he picks up a 1B mitt and can play it at least as well as Adam Dunn, which is bad, but tolerable if he can produce a 125 wRC+ or thereabouts.

For his own career, he should be in the OF practicing at every single chance he gets.  Batting practice, fungos, etc.  If he can make himself into even a serviceable OF, he has a long career ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For his own career, he should be in the OF practicing at every single chance he gets.  Batting practice, fungos, etc.  If he can make himself into even a serviceable OF, he has a long career ahead of him.

I don't think he has any of the instinct needed to play the OF.  As you mentioned he's possibly the worst OF to ever start a MLB game.  I'm not sure how many reps with fungoes can help now.   Presumably he's been taking a lot of fungoes in his pro career.  Try him at 1B, he can't possibly be worse than the OF, can he?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think he has any of the instinct needed to play the OF.  As you mentioned he's possibly the worst OF to ever start a MLB game.  I'm not sure how many reps with fungoes can help now.   Presumably he's been taking a lot of fungoes in his pro career.  Try him at 1B, he can't possibly be worse than the OF, can he?

I mean you are probably right, but I can't speak to the kids worth ethic or training programs either.  If it were me, knowing the difference in demand between a 1b/DH type and a RF/LF type, I would be spending every waking second in the OF trying to make  a name there if I were Palka.

Odds are extremely high that you are 100% right and he will always suck there.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If he's a 120-130 wRC+ bat, he'll have a ML future as a DH, especially since he's a left handed hitter.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes he can.  If he can't pick up throws in the dirt, he will kill the pitching staff.

I remember when the White Sox had Carlos Lee. He was bad in the outfield. During one off season he worked like a mad man improving his defensive skills. I'm hoping Palka does the same thing this off season. He looks like he could have a good career hitting with the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I remember when the White Sox had Carlos Lee. He was bad in the outfield. During one off season he worked like a mad man improving his defensive skills. I'm hoping Palka does the same thing this off season. He looks like he could have a good career hitting with the White Sox.

I saw a lot of Carlos Lee, and he was no where near this bad.  One more name actually comes to mind.  1986 Carlton Fisk in LF.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I saw a lot of Carlos Lee, and he was no where near this bad.  One more name actually comes to mind.  1986 Carlton Fisk in LF.

I also remember a very good player who was sent to LF for a game or three, and stunk up the joint.  Todd Helton in his rookie year.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

It’s not unfathomable if he has had 100 of them hit his way. He has a lot of catching up. Another one where the eye test matches all the numbers. Usually that only happens if you are elite, or elitely, if that is a word, awful.

Edited by Dick Allen

I want to wait and see on a Palka love fest. Granted he has looked pretty good with the lumber in limited time in the bigs. But, remember everyone was ga-ga over Delmonico in his debut late last year. Haven’t seen a lot this season but it would be great if they both broke out 

Edited by elrockinMT