Our Sox vs Their Sox Game Thread

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Snith was actually decent at the plate last year- not much power or anything- but he could at least get on base with some hard hit balls. His defense is solid. He’s a far better player than Narvaez.

Smith would be a very ideal 2nd catcher, IMO. Serviceable at the plate, solid defensively (except not great throwing), calls a good game, pitchers seem to like him...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not just you. Would be surprised if Narvaez is one of our catchers up next year. His lefty bat isn’t worth it.

Agree, I think he's gone when Castillo returns. Smith really looks like he's much better at reading the hitter and calling the next pitch accordingly. Much better than Narvaez and Castillo.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Moncada took 96 and 94 in the zone & then fouled off 95 truly right down the middle, only to strike out. Yikes.

Just once I would love for him to shorten his swing with 2 strikes. His hit tool hasn't improved one bit this season.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Snith was actually decent at the plate last year- not much power or anything- but he could at least get on base with some hard hit balls. His defense is solid. He’s a far better player than Narvaez.

I remember Smith doing a good job behind the plate last year but he seems to be even better now. Or Narvaez/Castillo are making him look better. :lol:

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So we’ll ask again, is Dylan Covey our Jake Arrieta of this rebuild?

Time will tell but he's looking like it. I think he is the surprise of the season so far.

Edited by BlackSox13

That was very impressive. I didn't realize that Covey was selected on the very next pick, after Sale, in that year's draft. It is pretty clear that our Sox saw something intriguing about him, and Coop has him pitching like a top of the rotation starter. If he can pitch like he has been lately, that would significantly accelerate the time table for that anticipated window of contention. Next year's staff of Rodon, Lopez, Covey, Kopech and Giolito could provide enough to get it done.