Once Again, Fire Ricky Renteria

Insp

On 6/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, fathom said:

And for those that don't follow the minor leagues (and tweets from observers), the excessive bunting seems to be happening with those teams as well.  Omar, especially, in W-Salem seems to be abusing it.

I admittedly do not follow the minor leagues very closely, but I have to think excessive bunting has more to do with development than anything else. I could very well be wrong, it would seemingly also fit Omar's style of play. 

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-managers-perspective-rick-renteria-on-mentoring-young-players/

"This is my motto: I wish for them to make it, not because of me, but to make it in spite of me. That’s my motto.”

That is a great read.  The quote almost doesn't fit the main thrust of the article TBH.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is a great read.  The quote almost doesn't fit the main thrust of the article TBH.

It doesn't -- it just made so little sense I couldn't help but highlight it.

I'm guilty of supporting the #narrative in this thread. Sorry.

52 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It doesn't -- it just made so little sense I couldn't help but highlight it.

I'm guilty of supporting the #narrative in this thread. Sorry.

It's all good.  I didn't want someone to NOT read it based on the tidbit there.  There was a ton of great minutia there that is worth the read.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd fire him now honestly.  I've seen enough and he's losing the clubhouse.

If he promised to never bunt again, I'd keep him. Otherwise he gawn. Why is he losing the clubhouse? I can accept if it's about bunting. But anything else? He's doing what he's supposed to do. Rack up piles of losses so Sox can get a top 3 pick. Players should blame management not Sir Bunt-a-Lot.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, fathom said:

And for those that don't follow the minor leagues (and tweets from observers), the excessive bunting seems to be happening with those teams as well.  Omar, especially, in W-Salem seems to be abusing it.

And where is the front office on this?  Its job, among other things, is to establish, integrate and maintain organizational philosophy and culture.
Feckless.

Edited by GreenSox

8 hours ago, SEALgep said:

I am a big fan, but I'm sure Ozzie had something to do with it. They went the opposite.

Ozzie has a strong personality, but he was weak too:  he lacked experience, he was unreliable (to be kind) when evaluating talent. 
It's not the personalities - laid back is fine (Torre and Francona are laid back). It's knowledge of the game and the ability to implement that knowledge; and the ability to judge talent and personnel.

Edited by GreenSox

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Ozzie has a strong personality, but he was weak too:  he lacked experience, he was unreliable (to be kind) when evaluating talent. 
It's not the personalities - laid back is fine (Torre and Francona are laid back). It's knowledge of the game and the ability to implement that knowledge; and the ability to judge talent and personnel.

Are there any good documentaries on Ozzie? Many of you despised him. I saw him as fascinating. 

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Are there any good documentaries on Ozzie? Many of you despised him. I saw him as fascinating. 

Don't think he was ever good enough to warrant a documentary. Below average player and below average manager

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ozzie had a real soft-spot for swing-at-everything guys and slap-hitters, especially aging ones.  When he was able to push his will onto the org., beginning in 2007, it was a disaster.    Williams provided temporary relief in 2008 by trading for Quentin and Swisher, but he dumped Swisher for nothing, Quentin got hurt, and we were back to Ozzie favs like Pierre, Erstad, Kotsay and DeWayne Wise

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Ozzie had a real soft-spot for swing-at-everything guys and slap-hitters, especially aging ones.  When he was able to push his will onto the org., beginning in 2007, it was a disaster.    Williams provided temporary relief in 2008 by trading for Quentin and Swisher, but he dumped Swisher for nothing, Quentin got hurt, and we were back to Ozzie favs like Pierre, Erstad, Kotsay and DeWayne Wise

Man those were rough times. His love for awful players that played like himself was absurd. What a dolt of a manager he could be. 

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

Don't think he was ever good enough to warrant a documentary. Below average player and below average manager

Anybody who could lead this the White Sox to a WS title is worthy of a documentary. He had the city in the palm of his hand for a while. Then his ego got him to do some really stupid things and it was OVA for him.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but Ricky today pinch hit Adam Engel (Adam Engel) for Nicky Delmonico (1-1, BB). Sure, it was a lefty, but Nicky is an even split guy when it comes to righties and lefties. No clue as to how that's a defensible managerial decision 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but Ricky today pinch hit Adam Engel (Adam Engel) for Nicky Delmonico (1-1, BB). Sure, it was a lefty, but Nicky is an even split guy when it comes to righties and lefties. No clue as to how that's a defensible managerial decision 

RR is garbage. He needs a one way ticket out of Chicago in October. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Couldn't blame the Cubs for letting him go when they did and I can't blame the White Sox for not extending him now.

I wouldn't fire him as the locker room appears to like him and the team is just bad anyway but this experiment probably needs to end at the end of RR's contract.

3 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Couldn't blame the Cubs for letting him go when they did and I can't blame the White Sox for not extending him now.

I wouldn't fire him as the locker room appears to like him and the team is just bad anyway but this experiment probably needs to end at the end of RR's contract.

Considering they invited Ventura back as the manager at the end of the 2016 season...I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Considering they invited Ventura back as the manager at the end of the 2016 season...I doubt it.

Yeah...everything about that Ventura experience was stupid.  The fact that he was hired, the fact that KW was "promoted" to VP to give Hahn the day-to-day and Robin was still given the seal of approval.

Edited by AustinIllini

10 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

If he keeps benching guys for "lack of hustle" like TA the other night when it isn't justified, he'll quickly lose the room. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...