It’s Game Day in Chicago 6/24 A’s and Sox

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think I've ever seen Rodon have a start where he throws this many strikes. I also can't remember a start where he walked 0 batters. This is ultra encouraging. Best command I've seen of him in his MLB career. If we get the Rodon and Giolito we've seen over this series, for the rest of the season, I think we've found our TOR guys. 

Last year August 4 and August 10 he had 7.2 and 8 inning, 0 walk outings. He threw 98 pitches in that 8 inning outing. 

This isn’t unusual with him, when he has command of his fastball and slider he can mow through people, and he will get into multi game grooves where he has that, but I’m still waiting to see if either he can have that kind of command in almost every outing or if he can find ways to win on days when he doesn’t have that command. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Last year August 4 and August 10 he had 7.2 and 8 inning, 0 walk outings. He threw 98 pitches in that 8 inning outing. 

This isn’t unusual with him, when he has command of his fastball and slider he can mow through people, and he will get into multi game grooves where he has that, but I’m still waiting to see if either he can have that kind of command in almost every outing or if he can find ways to win on days when he doesn’t have that command. 

Yeah, during that stint before his injury he had the lowest ERA in baseball for a month... or something like that. It was all coming together.

Hopefully this him picking up where he left off.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Talk about small sample sizes...

I get that it is only one start, read what I wrote toward the end of the previous page. the arrow is pointing way up because we know the stuff is still there for both pitchers. That is the takeaway. Now it is a matter of maintaining their progress the rest of the season. 

Just now, Richie said:

Yeah, during that stint before his injury he had the lowest ERA in baseball for a month... or something like that. It was all coming together.

Hopefully this him picking up where he left off.

I totally disagree that it was all coming together. He gets into multi game grooves where he can dominate based on raw stuff, but he can’t do that every game. He Puts up a 1.50 era in August 2016 and we think that, then is back to 4.50 in September.

frankly, he reminds me of Edwin Jackson. Dominant two pitch stuff, able to sustain runs of dominance with those two pitches, but not able to build on it consistently to turn out whole seasons at ace level like you think he can from his first 2 pitches.

I totally disagree that it was all coming together. He gets into multi game grooves where he can dominate based on raw stuff, but he can’t do that every game. He Puts up a 1.50 era in August 2016 and we think that, then is back to 4.50 in September.

frankly, he reminds me of Edwin Jackson. Dominant two pitch stuff, able to sustain runs of dominance with those two pitches, but not able to build on it consistently to turn out whole seasons at ace level like you think he can from his first 2 pitches.

It seemed to me that it was a pretty good extended period of time. That's a month of really good pitching. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=rodonca01&t=p&year=2017

Just one start that wasn't quality. I agree that he was still walking guys, though. So, maybe not as good as I had thought. 

3 minutes ago, Richie said:

It seemed to me that it was a pretty good extended period of time. That's a month of really good pitching. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=rodonca01&t=p&year=2017

Just one start that wasn't quality. I agree that he was still walking guys, though. So, maybe not as good as I had thought. 

Edwin Jackson made himself an all star team with a good first half in Detroit. A guy who is just a thrower, but who has dominant stuff, can have weeks where he’s in a groove, but becoming an ace requires a totally different level of consistency that Rodon is a long way from convincing me he’s reached. If he’s healthy, a guy who just throws the ball and sees where it is going can absolutely  be a mid rotation guy, but he has a ton of work to do to reach another level.

Edwin Jackson made himself an all star team with a good first half in Detroit. A guy who is just a thrower, but who has dominant stuff, can have weeks where he’s in a groove, but becoming an ace requires a totally different level of consistency that Rodon is a long way from convincing me he’s reached. If he’s healthy, a guy who just throws the ball and sees where it is going can absolutely  be a mid rotation guy, but he has a ton of work to do to reach another level.

Oh, yeah. I agree with that. He has not begun to tap his potential yet. I just think there were signs of progress and hopefully we'll see more starts like today. 

Just now, elrockinMT said:

I am so giddy with excitement today I can hardly contain myself 

Yeah, I legitimately got loud when Yoan went deep. Felt like a big weight just lifted. I had been waiting for so long. Plus, Rodon... obviously

• Like 1