Luis Gonzalez Appreciation Thread

Guys like Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, Hansen, Dunning and Cease get a lot of attention, but I would just like to take a moment to take a moment to appreciate Luis Gonzalez and the season he is having. Started off a little slow in Kannapolis, but has completely crushed the ball this year. Batted .300 with an .850 OPS in Kannapolis, and currently with Winston Salem is batting .405 with a 1.004 OPS. Really think that he has a chance to make it to Birmingham this season. Maybe not for a huge stretch, but I would like to see him get his feet wet with the Barons. At this point, I would probably rank him as the 7th best prospect in he organization behind the guys I listed above.

I've long been a big time LuGo fan. I have him ahead Basabe and behind Robert and Eloy. The guy seems like a competitor who does everything the right way. If we have to stick him or Robert in a corner OF spot, we probably have a damn good defensive OF. 

6 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Guys like Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, Hansen, Dunning and Cease get a lot of attention, but I would just like to take a moment to take a moment to appreciate Luis Gonzalez and the season he is having. Started off a little slow in Kannapolis, but has completely crushed the ball this year. Batted .300 with an .850 OPS in Kannapolis, and currently with Winston Salem is batting .405 with a 1.004 OPS. Really think that he has a chance to make it to Birmingham this season. Maybe not for a huge stretch, but I would like to see him get his feet wet with the Barons. At this point, I would probably rank him as the 7th best prospect in he organization behind the guys I listed above.

I remember him saying his goal was to make AA this year and the major next year. Lofty goals but it seems like he may be able to do it. 

How good is that collegiate conference, in which he played at New Mexico? His stats were terrific there. Especially notable is that .500 OBP, which he put up, his Junior year, while drawing almost twice as many walks, as strike outs. How fast do you think that he could realistically be ready for the Majors? I assume 2020 is the answer, but would be interested to know. The long list of intriguing outfield  prospects, in this organization, is indeed very impressive. Odd that they drafted yet another one, with their second pick, in this year's Draft, although I understand Walker's appeal. I really like him, but with any luck, they are going to end up trading away several of these guys, which is not a bad thing, just curious that they keep acquiring more outfielders. 

What they do with all these OFs next year will be interesting.  Basabe is already in AA and at a minimum Rutherford & Adolfo will be joining him.  They probably let Robert start off in High A to make up for lost time unless he destroys the AFL (assuming he plays there).  LuGo could go either way IMO.  He’ll be 23 next year so probably a little old for High A.  If he finishes this year strong, I’d probably send him to AA to start next season.  It’s a good problem to have, but damn I’d hate to be Chris Getz.

They are going to have to start "culling the herd". I'd like to see them cut loose some of the guys who likely don't have a future, in this organization. Brett, May and  Robbins will soon have to be moved, to make room for these guys. I hope that they only keep someone like Cordell, at AAA, once he's healthy, just to ensure that they have a Major League ready outfielder, in case of injuries. 

Edited by Lillian

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What they do with all these OFs next year will be interesting.  Basabe is already in AA and at a minimum Rutherford & Adolfo will be joining him.  They probably let Robert start off in High A to make up for lost time unless he destroys the AFL (assuming he plays there).  LuGo could go either way IMO.  He’ll be 23 next year so probably a little old for High A.  If he finishes this year strong, I’d probably send him to AA to start next season.  It’s a good problem to have, but damn I’d hate to be Chris Getz.

Charlotte will have: Call, Fisher, Booker and maybe Basabe.

Birmingham should have: Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez for sure. They could have Robert as well. 

Winston-Salem will have: Walker, Dedelow, etc 

21 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Charlotte will have: Call, Fisher, Booker and maybe Basabe.

Birmingham should have: Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez for sure. They could have Robert as well. 

Winston-Salem will have: Walker, Dedelow, etc 

Have a feeling Fisher may move to 1B

On 7/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Luis Robert better watch out.  Gonzalez is probably already going to beat him to the majors.  If he gets there first, he might not give up the CF job.

There are at least 3 OF jobs open, I guarantee Robert gets every chance in the world to win one of them.  Also, he’s better in center than Gonzalez.  That said, excellent problem to have. 

Edited by Timmy U

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

There are at least 3 OF jobs open, I guarantee Robert gets every chance in the world to win one of them.  Also, he’s better in center than Gonzalez.  That said, excellent problem to have. 

Maybe it is premature, but I am writing in Eloy Jimenez in pen to one of the corner OF spots.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe it is premature, but I am writing in Eloy Jimenez in pen to one of the corner OF spots.

I agree.  It’s Jimenez, Robert, and one of Gonzalez, Basabe, Adolfo, and Rutherford.  Possibly 2 if the use the DH slot.

Robert may be a starter some day. But he's played so few games I can't pencil him into any type of lineup. He may need another 2-3 seasons in the minors before he's ready. 

With that said, there will be a chance for some of the other guys to get a shot at securing a spot, including Gonzalez. 

Having too many good players is a good thing, even if there comes a time where a guy who's ready for the big leagues has to spend some time at Charlotte due to not having a spot. 

It doesn't make sense to me to say ok here are our 3 outfielders, trade all the rest. 

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

The other guy who doesn't get enough love is Laz Rivera. His OPS was .897 at Kannapolis, and after a promotion, it's now 1.023 in WS. He hits a ton of doubles, a few homers and can run.

He needs to be at Birmingham IMO

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d keep him High A the rest of the season.  Let him start the 2019 season as a 24 year old in AA.  He’d be a little old for the league, but I think that would be a fair assignment.

Madrigal is going to the primary guy to assign.  Based on what they decide with him, will be what they decide with Rivera, and rightfully so.

19 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

The other guy who doesn't get enough love is Laz Rivera. His OPS was .897 at Kannapolis, and after a promotion, it's now 1.023 in WS. He hits a ton of doubles, a few homers and can run.

Rivera just doesn't walk at all. Is the OPS, boosted by lofty a batting average, sustainable?

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Rivera just doesn't walk at all. Is the OPS, boosted by lofty a batting average, sustainable?

Doesn't walk at all, good D, can steal a base here and there, decent power, good XBH potential. Sounds like Juan Uribe if Uribe was a .280 career hitter rather than a .255 career hitter.

Edited by soxfan49