Hahn preaches patience...

caulfield12

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm. You say it'd cost $600 million to get the guys I want. Interesting isn't it, to look at it one way: Sox even in spending an alleged $600 million (your words) this offseason still might not win the division. That's how far away the Sox are. Though I think we would win the division probably especially with Harper bolstering what we got.

$600 million was contract totals. That would likely translate to $85 million of expenditure for 2019. Still not happening because this team isn't close enough to do it. If they sign Machado or Harper, it's because those two were available in 2019 and they're 26, not because the team thinks they're close to the end of the process. Obviously having one of those two players makes the playoffs more likely, but they're also looking term franchise cornerstones that you build around.

12 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

$600 million was contract totals. That would likely translate to $85 million of expenditure for 2019. Still not happening because this team isn't close enough to do it. If they sign Machado or Harper, it's because those two were available in 2019 and they're 26, not because the team thinks they're close to the end of the process. Obviously having one of those two players makes the playoffs more likely, but they're also looking term franchise cornerstones that you build around.

Maybe more likely, but very likely? The Nationals have a roster without Harper the Sox are nowhere near and they are .500. The Orioles with Machado are worse than the White Sox. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe more likely, but very likely? The Nationals have a roster without Harper the Sox are nowhere near and they are .500. The Orioles with Machado are worse than the White Sox. 

I think acquiring one of those two players would, in concert with the improvements of younger players on the ML team and the additional wave of talent that I think we'll see in 2019, bring the Sox out of competition for a Top 5 pick and into the range of a .500 ballclub, with a competitive team a distinct possibility in 2020. That said, by 2020, including the major league roster, the following players will likely need opportunities at the MLB level, provided they don't bust before then:

Starting Pitchers

1. Carlos Rodon

2. Rey Lopez

3. Lucas Giolito

4. Dylan Covey

5. Michael Kopech

6. Spencer Adams

7. Jordan Stephens

8. Jordan Guerrero

9. Alec Hansen

10. Dylan Cease

11. Dane Dunning

12. Bernardo Flores

13. Jimmy Lambert

Catchers

1. Kevan Smith

2. Seby Zavala

3. Zack Collins

Infielders

1. Yoan Moncada

2. Tim Anderson

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Danny Mendick

5. Laz Rivera

6. Nick Madrigal

7. Jake Burger

8. Gavin Sheets

Outfielders

1. Avisail Garcia

2. Eloy Jimenez

3. Luis Alexander Basabe

4. Joel Booker

5. Luis Robert

6. Blake Rutherford

7. Micker Adolfo

8. Luis Gonzalez

Based on that list, the only glaring hole that stands out to me is 3B. Yolmer plays the position respectably, but it's hard to deny that a Machado or Arenado wouldn't be a massive upgrade. There aren't many 1B there, but I think Collins and one of the outfielders may end up splitting time there, with a rotating DH as well. To me, 3B is by far the top free agent priority, with bullpen and starting pitching a distant second (there are so many arms in the system, I can't see how a good pitching staff doesn't develop out of it).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Based on that list, the only glaring hole that stands out to me is 3B. Yolmer plays the position respectably, but it's hard to deny that a Machado or Arenado wouldn't be a massive upgrade. There aren't many 1B there, but I think Collins and one of the outfielders may end up splitting time there, with a rotating DH as well. To me, 3B is by far the top free agent priority, with bullpen and starting pitching a distant second (there are so many arms in the system, I can't see how a good pitching staff doesn't develop out of it).

If no one else steps up and Abreu keeps deteriorating, Goldschmidt and Smoak are FA after 2019. Since we'll be paying Abreu in 2019 more than likely anyway, that's a position where we can bide our time a little bit, and a bump from the $15 million Abreu will make to >$20 million a year to sign one of those guys won't be a huge dent in the yearly payroll.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If no one else steps up and Abreu keeps deteriorating, Goldschmidt and Smoak are FA after 2019. Since we'll be paying Abreu in 2019 more than likely anyway, that's a position where we can bide our time a little bit, and a bump from the $15 million Abreu will make to >$20 million a year to sign one of those guys won't be a huge dent in the yearly payroll.

Goldschmidt was actually a name that came to mind if the White Sox miss all the big targets (Harper, Machado, Arenado). The only foreseeable problem with that to me is that if several of these outfielders and Collins make it, you've used up one of 1B and DH for Goldschmidt. That's definitely a good problem to have, though.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

Goldschmidt was actually a name that came to mind if the White Sox miss all the big targets (Harper, Machado, Arenado). The only foreseeable problem with that to me is that if several of these outfielders and Collins make it, you've used up one of 1B and DH for Goldschmidt. That's definitely a good problem to have, though.

He is interesting in that he had a hard time catching up to fastballs earlier this season. Obviously it's corrected, but you have to wonder how much he'd really be worth with a couple of more years on him.