7/26 games

ScootsMcGoots

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Basabe Homer.

Kid had a wRC+ of 105 coming into tonight as a 21 year old CF still adjusting to AA.  Now the power we saw at A+ is starting to materialize as expected.  I’ve said it before, but if he was in the Yankees system he’d be a top 70 prospect right now.  IMO, he’s our clear #3 OF prospect behind Jimenez & Robert.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kid had a wRC+ of 105 coming into tonight as a 21 year old CF still adjusting to AA.  Now the power we saw at A+ is starting to materialize as expected.  I’ve said it before, but if he was in the Yankees system he’d be a top 70 prospect right now.  IMO, he’s our clear #3 OF prospect behind Jimenez & Robert.

You may not know the answer, but wRC+ is supposed to be league-adjusted, right? But is that adjusted to "If you had these stats in the majors" or is it adjusting those numbers to players in their current minor league level? Just wondering if Basabe has been 5% better than other AA players, or if his numbers would be 5% better than a major leaguer if he was producing those numbers in the majors. Because if it's the former, then good prospects SHOULD be well over 100 wRC+.

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You may not know the answer, but wRC+ is supposed to be league-adjusted, right? But is that adjusted to "If you had these stats in the majors" or is it adjusting those numbers to players in their current minor league level? Just wondering if Basabe has been 5% better than other AA players, or if his numbers would be 5% better than a major leaguer if he was producing those numbers in the majors. Because if it's the former, then good prospects SHOULD be well over 100 wRC+.

It’s based on the Southern League, but not park adjusted I believe.  He’s also a 21 year old still adjusting to the league though.  A wRC+ of 105 wouldn’t be great if that’s what he peaked at (ignoring the Birmingham factor), but he’s already trending upwards.  For reference he put up a wRC+ of 143 in High A this year.  He was basically one of the best hitters in that league and his plate discipline remains roughly intact at AA.  It’s really the power that’s creating the difference and that’s starting to show up now.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I could dig this.  I go back and forth on Covey, but I would like to see Stephens get a look.  I’d also DFA Santiago and call up Danish to be the mop up guy.

Danish has quietly come around this year, he's definitely worth a look. Once Avilan is traded I'd like to see Bummer get another look and while we're at it let's send Minaya back to Charlotte and give Vieria a look. 

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Alex Call double. He's slowly but surely creeping up to .300. He's at .291 now. 

He's hitting .316 in July with an OPS of about .900. He's responded well to his surprise call up to AA.

He’s learned how to get on-base at a high clip this year.  He’s got a chance to be a pretty damn good 4th OF IMO.

5 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Danish has quietly come around this year, he's definitely worth a look. Once Avilan is traded I'd like to see Bummer get another look and while we're at it let's send Minaya back to Charlotte and give Vieria a look. 

Bummer for sure.  Vieira will get a look at some point too.  Hornstly, if you took out Fry, Charlotte might have a better bullpen than the Sox with Soria gone.  Part of that is just how awful Santiago, Volstad, & Minaya have been.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bummer for sure.  Vieira will get a look at some point too.  Hornstly, if you took out Fry, Charlotte might have a better bullpen than the Sox with Soria gone.  Part of that is just how awful Santiago, Volstad, & Minaya have been.

I like your thinking on this and agree. Those three have been terrible and if not for Soria's resurgence it would have been that much worse. 

IMHO, it's time to start looking ahead to 2019 and start working with these young pitchers now.

Edited by BlackSox13

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Legit question, but can Madrigal be like a .330 hitter in the pros?  Someone like him should have a higher than average BABIP and if he never strikes out, his BA & BABIP shouldn’t be too far apart.

.350 BABIP + 5% K rate ~ .330 BA.

If he hits in the .330s, he'd be a high .800s-low .900s OPS guy.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Legit question, but can Madrigal be like a .330 hitter in the pros?  Someone like him should have a higher than average BABIP and if he never strikes out, his BA & BABIP shouldn’t be too far apart.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

.350 BABIP + 5% K rate ~ .330 BA.

If he hits in the .330s, he'd be a high .800s-low .900s OPS guy.

Best case, I can see a .330/.365/.475 kind of line from him. Don't think he'll walk too much nor will he have many homers. .840 OPS with those figures. Hard for me to envision it in the .900s given the lack of power 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have him 6th in my rankings

1.) Eloy

2.) Kopech

3.) Robert

4.) Cease

5.) Madrigal

6.) Basabe

7.) Dunning

8.) Rutherford

9.) Hansen

10.) Collins

11.) Adolfo

12.) Gonzalez

13.) Burger

14.) Steele

15.) Burdi

4 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Charlotte isn't far enough away 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, beautox said:

I have him 6th in my rankings

1.) Eloy

2.) Kopech

3.) Robert

4.) Cease

5.) Madrigal

6.) Basabe

7.) Dunning

8.) Rutherford

9.) Hansen

10.) Collins

11.) Adolfo

12.) Gonzalez

13.) Burger

14.) Steele

15.) Burdi

I had him 9th when everyone did their mid-season updates, but I think you can make a strong argument for him being neck & neck with Dunning for that sixth spot.  I’m super high on Basabe.

Alot of hitting streaks right now.

Basabe has a 15 game hitting streak. (Has hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games). 

Rutherford quietly has a 10 game hitting streak (hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games).

Eloy and Sosa with 6 game hitting streaks (both have hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, Eloy with 15 of his lasts 17 ABs). 

Gonzalez with only a 4 game hitting streak (he has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games).

Bush and Delgado also with 4 gamers (each have hit safely in 8 of their last 9 games). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Danish currently not on 40 man.  If he stays off, he will probably be selected by somebody in Rule 5.  Might as well bring him up now, given recent success.  Then, if he gets lit up, he'll be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Alot of hitting streaks right now.

Basabe has a 15 game hitting streak. (Has hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games). 

Rutherford quietly has a 10 game hitting streak (hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games).

Eloy and Sosa with 6 game hitting streaks (both have hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, Eloy with 15 of his lasts 17 ABs). 

Gonzalez with only a 4 game hitting streak (he has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games).

Bush and Delgado also with 4 gamers (each have hit safely in 8 of their last 9 games). 

Great post.