Can we get a Shields rumor?

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

What contract? He's owed like $3 million for the rest of his career. The rest is covered by the Padres.

If a team actually claimed him off waivers in August, they would be liable for the remaining ~$6-7 million with no offset.

What will actually happen is that he will clear waivers and therefore he will be tradeable all the way up until the end of the season. He will be traded, with a team probably taking on $1 million or so, at or near the end of August, such that he'd be eligible for a postseason roster. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

What contract? He's owed like $3 million for the rest of his career. The rest is covered by the Padres.

I believe it's the Padres send the Sox money to cover that. If he was placed on waivers and claimed, Sox would just let him go. He would clear waivers and be in the exact spot he is now. My point: if a team could trade for now and also in the past couple months, why would it be more likely he would go next month? Especially if his schtick and selling point is that he can eat innings.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I believe it's the Padres send the Sox money to cover that. If he was placed on waivers and claimed, Sox would just let him go. He would clear waivers and be in the exact spot he is now. My point: if a team could trade for now and also in the past couple months, why would it be more likely he would go next month? Especially if his schtick and selling point is that he can eat innings.

I see your point now. And I agree 

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

The fact that there's no deadline for players like him also means that teams aren't going to be in a rush to acquire him today, so unless the White Sox are desperate to move him out of the way to give his starts to another player (cough), teams on both sides will probably just wait a short while.

20 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

No one is claiming that contract in August. Sox would just let him go at the pro-rated $20m and save money.

With the Padres paying most of his salary, I think there will be a couple teams making a claim on him. Even so, if no one claims him and he clears waivers, the Sox can then trade him with anyone, ie: negotiate paying off some salary for a better return perhaps. Most of those 2nd and 3rd tier veteran guys move around end of August usually anyways.

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles

27 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

With the Padres paying most of his salary, I think there will be a couple teams making a claim on him. Even so, if no one claims him and he clears waivers, the Sox can then trade him with anyone, ie: negotiate paying off some salary for a better return perhaps. Most of those 2nd and 3rd tier veteran guys move around end of August usually anyways.

Again, the Padres sent money to the Sox with Shields.  ***IF*** Shields is claimed, those dollars do not go with him.  In other words, if someone claims Shields today, they'd be claiming ~$7M of his remaining obligations.  Therefore, no one will Shields.  He was almost certainly was put on waivers last night, or will be today, will clear within however many hours it takes, and will be free to trade with any club within a day.  

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again, the Padres sent money to the Sox with Shields.  ***IF*** Shields is claimed, those dollars do not go with him.  In other words, if someone claims Shields today, they'd be claiming ~$7M of his remaining obligations.  Therefore, no one will Shields.  He was almost certainly was put on waivers last night, or will be today, will clear within however many hours it takes, and will be free to trade with any club within a day.  

Someone pointed out in the other thread that Shields also has a $2 million buyout the Padres are covering, and that $2 million would not go with either. I'd agree Shields is probably on waivers today, if any team claimed him they'd be claiming closer to $9 million for that 2 months.

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

Any reason its now?

He always seemed like a waiver deal guy. Teams get more desperate in August, and he will clear waivers.   And if by some miracle he doesn't, that's fine too:  one more spot for a young player.

Edited by GreenSox

5 minutes ago, richig761 said:

I'll be disappointed if he finishes the season here... come on

I really don't think any contender thinks that he can help any. If they're contending, he's about equal to what they have already in the back end of the rotation. He would have had to get his ERA below 4 to have any value whatsoever. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

He could still go next week. Depends on who is desperate for innings. He has gone 6+ twenty times this year, which is valuable. Mariners wouldn’t shock me, but there are few other teams that could value him in their pen in case something bad happens in September.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Would you trade for him?

If I am the Brewers, yeah I probably would.  None of their starters are going deep into games and their bullpen seems to be wearing down a bit.  They need a guy that can keep them in games into the 7th inning every now and then.  

Edited by turnin' two