White Sox trade INTL $ to TB for Hunter Schryver, assigned to WS

Sleepy Harold

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

This guy any good?

He's a 23-yr old 2017 7th-round draftee showing the normal progress into High A and doing reasonably well as a pure reliever.  Perhaps, Sox see something but doesn't seem like an exciting piece of the future.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, but they won't be announced until 7/2/20

You have it backwards. On 7/2 of any given year, they announce signings for that signing period. Meaning 7/2/2020 they will announce signings of the '20 signing period. Scouting and handshake agreements are worked out before the official signing period that's why you see a bunch of signings leaked or announced leading up to it.

Now back to the Sox, Robert was signed as part of the 2016 signing period, our penalty years are 2017 and 2018 (current signing period). We just traded 2018 intl money as we are in penalty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

He's a 23-yr old 2017 7th-round draftee showing the normal progress into High A and doing reasonably well as a pure reliever.  Perhaps, Sox see something but doesn't seem like an exciting piece of the future.

I'd say he's doing very well so far, 5:1 K/BB ratio and over a K per inning but so far only in the low minors.  Needs to keep it going into AA.   He's certainly more likely to contribute in 2020-25 than a 300k Int. signing.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, but they won't be announced until 7/2/20

No they will be announced on 7/2/19. Signings begin to happen pre-period beginning, but plenty still happen throughout year. Look at Victor Victor.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think clubs have called Hahn's bluff on Shields and will just claim him off waivers post deadline.  Then maybe if there is interest Chicago can get something more than just salary relief.

No on is claiming Shields off waivers because they'd owe him his full contract amount. He'll be put on waivers tomorrow and clear, and be free to trade with any club. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think clubs have called Hahn's bluff on Shields and will just claim him off waivers post deadline.  Then maybe if there is interest Chicago can get something more than just salary relief.

He'll end up with the Brewers in a few weeks

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No on is claiming Shields off waivers because they'd owe him his full contract amount. He'll be put on waivers tomorrow and clear, and be free to trade with any club. 

He's owed like 6 million, that's not going to scare anybody off.

edit: aren't the Padres picking up half his salary this year?  Or no?  He's either owed like 6 or 12 I guess.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

He's owed like 6 million, that's not going to scare anybody off.

Literally no on on Earth is going to claim James Shields and take on the $7 million currently remaining. He will pass through waivers with ease, and eventually the White Sox will trade him and the team getting him will pay something like a million dollars with the White Sox picking up the rest.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Owed 6 mill at this point of the season is a lot. You're kinda lookin at it wrong. 

the leverage works both ways.  the .7 WAR or whatever is also more important to a contender.  The Mariners would be stupid not to claim him IMO.  They are getting negative WAR from Felix.  If they make the playoffs and break the longest current streak in NA pro sports that 6 million will be paid back many times.  And even if they don't meh.  Got that MLBAM money.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Thought he was only owed ~$3.5M from here on out?

That was Soria I thought.  Shields owed 6 but Padres paying half.  But don't think Padres half gets passed on to the club acquiring him.  It's just that the Sox can pay some of it to acquire a better prospect in a trade.  If its a waiver claim, the team that claims him on the hook for the 6 (and Sox just keep the cash from Padres).  Highly doubt Shields gets claimed.

25 minutes ago, flavum said:

I do feel like 3-3:30 will have a few late announcements. Tons of deals are being  discussed. There will be a few stragglers that could include the Sox.

Doesn't look like any are coming through. I feel like Hahn thinks this team can (or JR wants this team to) compete next year so we kept Avilan and Cedeno who are both still under control for next year. If we suck, we trade them then, but if we are competing then we probably have two good relievers at cheap prices that we don't have to trade anyone for. 

Pivoting from Shields to Schryver, Hahn is going all in on the dedicated bullpen arms in the minors.

Burdi, Vieira, Hamilton, Burr, Johnson, Frare, now Schryver. Anyone I'm missing? 

And three of them acquired for straight cash, that we likely wouldn't have used.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

the leverage works both ways.  the .7 WAR or whatever is also more important to a contender.  The Mariners would be stupid not to claim him IMO.  They are getting negative WAR from Felix.  If they make the playoffs and break the longest current streak in NA pro sports that 6 million will be paid back many times.  And even if they don't meh.  Got that MLBAM money.

If someone claims Shields, I don't think the conversation with Rick will be very long...

Hahn: "Hey Jerry, let me get that Kyle Lewis kid for Shields, or we'll just pull him back."

DiPoto: "How about no."

Hahn: "Ok, how about Cesar Izturis Jr?  Maybe that will make some of my fans on Soxtalk a little less pissed about Tatis Jr."

DiPito: "Nah.  How about nothing".

Hahn: "Deal!" 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, heirdog said:

That was Soria I thought.  Shields owed 6 but Padres paying half.  But don't think Padres half gets passed on to the club acquiring him.  It's just that the Sox can pay some of it to acquire a better prospect in a trade.  If its a waiver claim, the team that claims him on the hook for the 6 (and Sox just keep the cash from Padres).  Highly doubt Shields gets claimed.

Oh ok, didn't realize that's how it worked. What happens with the $2M buyout for next season if he's traded? Right now the Padres are covering that per Spotrac. Would that money also go bye-bye for the receiving team in a trade? 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Oh ok, didn't realize that's how it worked. What happens with the $2M buyout for next season if he's traded? Right now the Padres are covering that per Spotrac. Would that money also go bye-bye for the receiving team in a trade? 

Yes