Game Thread vs KC

Heads22

According to the Sox web site Anderson was pulled from the game for not hustling on an at-bat after he hit a ball.

I laud Rick for not putting up with that bull**** but it makes you wonder...this is the third or fourth time this year he's had to do that.

I mean the players know what is going to happen if they don't hustle, yet it keeps happening. Not very smart on their part.

Unless frustration at all the losing just sets in and they say "screw it" from time to time.

Either way that's not a good development no matter how you look at it.

Scary stat of the night, Engle's batting average is now the same as Moncada's .225 YIKES! And we know how bad Engle is.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:
According to the Sox web site Anderson was pulled from the game for not hustling on an at-bat after he hit a ball.

I laud Rick for not putting up with that bull**** but it makes you wonder...this is the third or fourth time this year he's had to do that.

I mean the players know what is going to happen if they don't hustle, yet it keeps happening. Not very smart on their part.

Unless frustration at all the losing just sets in and they say "screw it" from time to time.

Scary stat of the night, Engle's batting average is now the same as Moncada's .225 YIKES! And we know how bad Engle is.

... Did you watch the play?

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

... Did you watch the play?

No I did not, I am going off the headline at the White Sox "official" web site. Given that it is their site things are generally cleared and approved before posting so someone felt the wording was accurate in describing why the benching took place. Was that wording wrong, if so can you explain why?

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No I did not, I am going off the headline at the White Sox "official" web site. Given that it is their site things are generally cleared and approved before posting so someone felt the wording was accurate in describing why the benching took place. Was that wording wrong, if so can you explain why?

Yes, it is misleading. Anderson lined out to third but the umpire (incorrectly) ruled that it was a ground ball, so he had stopped running and the third baseman threw him out at first. Had Anderson ran it out and been safe, they would've just overturned it via video review since the ball was caught. If Renteria expects players to keep running when balls are clearly caught then we're gonna look foolish on the basepaths. 

• Like 1

Found this description of the play elsewhere: "Anderson smoked a low line drive to third with two men on and two outs. Initially it looked like the 3B caught it and I think Anderson froze a few steps out of the box thinking he was out. Ump signaled safe and the 3B for some odd reason threw to 2B for the force but the runner beat that easily. Anderson still wasn't running or had taken way to long to realize he was still in play but by then it was way too late and the 2B had him dead to rights. I think Anderson did give up at some point on the play after realizing he was not out on the initial snag so the benching was probably justified, but there are lots of guys who make that mistake and only the boneheaded decision by the 3B to go to second would have given Tim a chance."

Edited by Lip Man 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yes, it is misleading. Anderson lined out to third but the umpire (incorrectly) ruled that it was a ground ball, so he had stopped running and the third baseman threw him out at first. Had Anderson ran it out and been safe, they would've just overturned it via video review since the ball was caught. If Renteria expects players to keep running when balls are clearly caught then we're gonna look foolish on the basepaths. 

Odd situation to be sure but from what I just posted what probably got Anderson the heave - ho was (if accurate) he still wasn't running even after the umpire ruled the ball in play. That's what probably got to Ricky and if I remember right he's had to pull Anderson before for not hustling.

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well many posters seem to agree that it's a bad rule and renteria is an idiot for having the rule. Maybe the players agree as well as they don't seem to want to run to first base. I guess just us old oeople follow rukes placed upon us.

At least he took it well. I think the problem with that written description is that it discounts the very likely event that had Anderson ran and been safe, video review would've overturned it since the ball was actually caught on the fly. 

Just now, ptatc said:

Well many posters seem to agree that it's a bad rule and renteria is an idiot for having the rule. Maybe the players agree as well as they don't seem to want to run to first base. I guess just us old oeople follow rukes placed upon us.

I actually agree with the rule but I think he overuses it in situations where it's not necessary. I don't think Anderson deserved to be benched for this one. If you're gonna bench a guy for not hustling, you should consider all the factors involved with the play

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This was a completely different situation than the previous ones we've seen. Still can't believe he benched him for that.  Just more stupidity from the coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I actually agree with the rule but I think he overuses it in situations where it's not necessary. I don't think Anderson deserved to be benched for this one. If you're gonna bench a guy for not hustling, you should consider all the factors involved with the play

That is a valid concern.

It’s a fine rule, but it was awful interpretation. You have to look at the situation, especially since replay showed it was caught, and he was out anyway. If it wasn’t a catch, the benching is fair game. Still would understand why Anderson didn’t run it out, but he would have to know he should have. But an obvious catch that had no chance of not being overturned? It was a ridiculous response by Renteria.

Edited by Dick Allen