8/2 Sox v, Royal Lopez pitching

Just now, fathom said:

Yeah this pitcher is perfect for Timmy's swing

I was saying it from here, Timmy is an aggressive hitter. He is not going to walk. Why pitch to him when Moncada's splits are terrible batting RH? Just bad managing. 

Just now, GreenSox said:

Great hitters swing at only what they like; but they learn to foul off stuff they don't like.

Exactly, at this point he has no hit tool at all. Needs to foul these pitches off or shoot it to LF.  I've been surprised at how few balls he's hit hard the opposite way.

Yes, good hitters foul off a lot of those two strike, close pitches. They also can take the outside pitch, the other way, for a hit. 

The good news is that this is something that he is certainly capable of doing. It is simply a question of his mindset. He will learn and I certainly hope that he is being coached to do so.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, fathom said:

Exactly, at this point he has no hit tool at all. Needs to foul these pitches off or shoot it to LF.  I've been surprised at how few balls he's hit hard the opposite way.

Maybe that scout was on to something when he said he is a bit of a head case at the plate...

• Like 1

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Welcome to player development

Yeah, he's inconsistent but I'm at least optimistic based on the good games he's had. Can't say the same for the half of this board that seemingly wants him to fail and only posts when he's having a bad game. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, he's inconsistent but I'm at least optimistic based on the good games he's had. Can't say the same for the half of this board that seemingly wants him to fail and only posts when he's having a bad game. 

This is more a mental thing with him than physical

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Perfect tank game. 

Looez pitxhes great, leaves in the 8th with men on the corners and no one out... and Jace Fry enters? I’m scared that he can get out of this

Not with micromanaging Ricky at the helm! Here comes the tank commander Minaya.