White Sox at Tampa 8.3 game thread

26 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup, the future of baseball with the way things are going. 

It just makes too much sense. Find the best possible reliever against a teams starting line up, use him to get through the first 3-6 batters, then switch over to a long man/SP for 4-5+ innings, then finish it off with specialized relievers. Such a beautiful way to pitch the game with the use of the best possible advanced statistics. 

Yes sir. Starting pitchers and human umpires are going the way of blockbuster video.

• Like 1

This version of Giolito is what I've been waiting for for so long and why I've been so supportive/patient with him. He's painting corners even with his offspeed stuff, getting lots of swings and misses, and only walking a guy every couple innings. This is Cubs ST Giolito. Well done Coop. However, he's so easy to run on. He's going to have to keep that in check going forward.

When Giolito is on he's also a ground ball machine when hitters do make contact, and that bodes very well for him becoming a TOR starter. He's making hitters look silly with his offspeed stuff, and it seems the thing that has made it all click besides getting his mechanics down is switching from the circle to straight change. He's not hanging it anymore, getting it down and it moves so well. That is a power change in the making. He has 3 60+ grade breaking pitches right now. If he can command both the curve and slider like he's doing tonight, he's going to be an ace and I don't think there is much of an argument. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I love what the Rays and Phillies are doing this year with their acceptance of advanced metrics. Not surprised that the Rays, with a pretty bad roster, are seeing more wins than expected. 

What are the Phillies doing differently?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

What are the Phillies doing differently?

I guess they're not doing anything nearly as revolutionary as Tampa, but it was a pretty big deal that they hired Gabe Kapler (very pro-advanced stats) as their manager and it seems as though he's using interesting lineup constructions and new ideas on when to pull his starters/deploy relievers 

• Like 1

Just now, ttommarello823 said:

This team looks at way too many strikes, especially Moncada.  Please get him out of the leadoff spot!

yep, they are terrible judges at what is/isn't a strike.  No chance in hell should Steverson be retained after this year.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Gotta protect there, Yoan

again, what in the hell is he looking for?  He can't hit off speed pitches, so he might as well be attacking fastballs.  It's so disappointing that he hasn't made one freaking adjustment.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

again, what in the hell is he looking for?  He can't hit off speed pitches, so he might as well be attacking fastballs.  It's so disappointing that he hasn't made one freaking adjustment.

Yeah, I'm one of his biggest supporters on here but it seems like all the progress he has made throughout the season in terms of his approach comes and goes. This won't be a good series for him, especially with a bunch of hard throwing, strikeout-happy relievers 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

yep, they are terrible judges at what is/isn't a strike.  No chance in hell should Steverson be retained after this year.

I'm ok with them keeping Coop still, and I think Coop has the job for as long as he wants it, but the rest of the staff can go bye-bye. Steverson and Renteria can take a one way plane ticket out of Chicago this October.