White Sox at Tampa 8.5 game thread

Fry wasnt even up despite the fact there were four lefties coming up...

Sigh.

And Moncada’s about to go under .220 as well.  Seems he only really focuses offensively in late game situations.  Or when leading off the game.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, if you are going to bring Fry in now, why not for Choi? Oh well, he speaks Spanish.

If I heard correctly at the end of the Hahn podcast, someone mentioned Girardi and Rick had every chance to say Ricky is doing a great job and instead just ignored the comment.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

That was some bad managing letting Gomez face a lefty. Oh well, probably best they lose anyways.

It’s never good to lose. From what I see this year is an offense that usually can provide some runs and a relief corps that gives them away 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If I heard correctly at the end of the Hahn podcast, someone mentioned Girardi and Rick had every chance to say Ricky is doing a great job and instead just ignored the comment.

That’s also a quite convenient excuse to buy more time for himself on the lack of progress from most of the key youngsters.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Agree on Tatis. No one had a clue he’d end up this way. I doubt Cubs fans think about the fact that they once had Luis Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Garland, etc so we should give it up on Tatis. The Sox also drafted Eric Gagne. I didn’t see a bunch of complaining about that error back then so let’s let this Tatis thing die

It is pretty hard to criticize a front office for trading a guy who hadn't been out of the DSL yet. He never even played for the Sox AZL team, let alone Great Falls or Kanny. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

His official response was “there was no question”.  Was a bit peculiar he didn’t say “Ricky’s my guy”.  Doubt it means much though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It is pretty hard to criticize a front office for trading a guy who hadn't been out of the DSL yet. He never even played for the Sox AZL team, let alone Great Falls or Kanny. 

Nobody in baseball will debate Preller is the best Latin American scout in the game...but one of the ones who push ethical boundaries to the edge and occasionally over (see ATL, Chris Correa.)

Paddy should have been on top of that one.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Tatis isn't the fireable offense in that trade. Getting Shields was.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His official response was “there was no question”.  Was a bit peculiar he didn’t say “Ricky’s my guy”.  Doubt it means much though.

That’s a lawyer’s response...looking for the hole in a line of questioning in order to deflect it.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The one I love is that in peoples mind here every player we trade will become a star and the ones we get are gonna be a bust

Just now, JoshPR said:

The one I love is that in peoples mind here every player we trade will become a star and the ones we get are gonna be a bust

It is more than understandable that the Sox fanbase has prospect PTSD though. Their track record of both traded prospects and ones they kept have been horrible for 15 years running. They've gone through 4 directors of amateur scouting during that time. 

9 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

When is the last time we had a player who originally signed with the Sox become a Top 3-5 prospect?

Well, Jon Rauch was the last one.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Hey we were able to get out of that inning with a tie!  It only required half our bullpen.  Hopefully this one doesn’t go into extras.

Davidson again...because, why the hell not?  Easier to rationalize a loss in that situation.  Nobody “ failed,” per se, except Renteria.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think it’s the combination of the two.  We traded a guy who ultimately became a top 3 prospect in baseball for a pitcher that was beyond terrible.  I don’t blame them entirely for giving up Tatis as no one really knew what he was (except maybe Preller) or he would signed for a much higher bonus.  Had Shields been even a solid #3 starter I think we could attribute it to bad luck.  But as it stands, it generally reeks of desperation & a lack of due diligence on our end.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When is the last time we had a player who originally signed with the Six become a Top 5 prospect?

Well, Jon Rauch was the last one.

That's a whole other story

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Obviously in hindsight you move Fulmer for someone better, but at the time the Sox had nothing to give to acquire anyone worthwhile. They were sinking and trying to stop the bleeding. In reality, they couldn't have done any better than Shields for Erik Johnson and Tatis at that time, unless others in baseball knew what Tatis would become. In any event, they tried to make one last ditch effort to save that season, it didn't work and they blew it up. I really don't fault the Sox for being aggressive when they're trying to contend. Players come and go. Banners fly forever.