8/20 Sox at Twins, 6:10

flavum

Just now, fathom said:

My god that might be the worst pitch Giolito has thrown this year.  Can't be making simple mistakes like that with 2 outs and 2 strikes.

Worst pitch after may his best pitch. How about that 1-1 curve ball? Simply nasty. Two pitches later the ball ends up with a fan in the seats. I don't get this guy. 

That's what happens when you get four outs.  If Leury doesn't get hurt, he makes that catch and the inning is over with one run.  Instead the ball is missed, turned into a double, and then has to wait around for Garcia to come off of the field, and it costs him two runs.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think only Parkman and Giolito's parents think he's great.

I don't think he's currently great, but I could certainly see where he could be in a season or two. He's really close, IMO. He's a young pitcher, sometimes it doesn't click right away. At this point in the season he's certainly got the stuff to be great. It is just a matter of learning to finish an inning now. And yeah, he did have to get four outs that inning. The guy was always a project. I think he'll be fine in the long run. He's learning to pitch in the bigs having to go through more adversity than he should have had to because his prior organization messed him up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

Worst pitch after may his best pitch. How about that 1-1 curve ball? Simply nasty. Two pitches later the ball ends up with a fan in the seats. I don't get this guy. 

I don’t know if it is because of his height or what but I think he has problems repeating his motion and having a consistent release point. That is why on back to back pitches you get such variance.  At least that’s what it seems to me as a non-scout. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think he's currently great, but I could certainly see where he could be in a season or two. He's really close, IMO. 

When you have arguably the worst fastball value in all of baseball for a starter, you're not close to being great.

Just now, BFirebird said:

I don’t know if it is because of his height or what but I think he has problems repeating his motion and having a consistent release point. That is why on back to back pitches you get such variance.  At least that’s what it seems to me as a non-scout. 

Maybe so, but he looked so consistent in his short time last year and as a prospect he was considered a 55-60 rated prospect, which translates into top of rotation prospect. I still like the guy, but man there is a lot of work to do with him. 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

When you have arguably the worst fastball value in all of baseball for a starter, you're not close to being great.

Throw out anything that happened before July. He's getting plenty of swings and misses on it now. Giolito from 3/27-6/15 and Giolito from 7/1-now are two completely different pitchers. If you can't see that and realize that, I can't help you. The stuff and control is night and day. If his fastball value is still the worst in baseball post ASB, I'll eat crow. Based on the eye test, I would find that hard to believe. The big difference is that now his bad starts are 3-5 ER instead of 6-8. The other thing is that RR cost him probably 1.5 runs on his ERA by leaving him out there when he shouldn't have in the early part of the season when Giolito was clearly struggling. 

Edited by Jack Parkman