Ryan Burr called up

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Bye Shields? Be weird to make a roster move before a day game if were just sending someone down. Unless they feel they need a reliever...

They do need a reliever badly, just surprised it was him.  The pen is fried.  They have thrown 17 innings in the last two days (10 innings by the starters), including 7 innings in one game, twice.  In the last 4 days they have gone 21 1/3 innings.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Totally bizarre to me that he's up before Hamilton.

Hamilton doesn't need to be added to the 40 man until next season. Ie: we're unlikely to see him until next season, as the Sox will likely want as many 40 man spots as possible to protect guys from the rule 5. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hamilton doesn't need to be added to the 40 man until next season. Ie: we're unlikely to see him until next season, as the Sox will likely want as many 40 man spots as possible to protect guys from the rule 5. 

If Burr is on the list that needs to be protected before December, this makes a lot more sense.  Kind of surprised it wasn't Frare who is a lefty who seems to be in the same boat.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Burr is on the list that needs to be protected before December, this makes a lot more sense.  Kind of surprised it wasn't Frare who is a lefty who seems to be in the same boat.

I'm sure we'll see Frare soon, too. We already had a surplus of lefties and some pretty bad righties so I can see the logic behind this. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It makes sense. Burr needs Rule-5 protection. Hamilton does not. We won't see Hamilton this year. 

We probably need a new thread solely dedicated to the White Sox 40 man roster discussions this offseason, as there are numerous players worthy of protection and not enough roster spots. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

We probably need a new thread solely dedicated to the White Sox 40 man roster discussions this offseason, as there are numerous players worthy of protection and not enough roster spots. 

There have been several, and I still really disagree with this. I'm not worried about needing roster spots for the Adam Engels and Hector Santiagos of the world. There are plenty of spots for the 8-9 players who will need protection. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There have been several, and I still really disagree with this. I'm not worried about needing roster spots for the Adam Engels and Hector Santiagos of the world. There are plenty of spots for the 8-9 players who will need protection. 

https://theathletic.com/476215/2018/08/17/projecting-the-white-soxs-40-man-roster-decisions/

Fegan's article is pretty good on what we are looking at. We also need to try and keep at least 2-3 roster spots open so we can participate in the rule five draft and free agency. 

I get it's tough to nit pick on a 60 ish win ballclub, but we will have to leave guys we would rather protect exposed at the end of the day. 

38 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree with you that Ian Hamilton deserves to be in the big leagues. It's not a video game though. Teams aren't just going to discard a bunch of guys just so they can add players that aren't currently needed. 

36 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree with you that Ian Hamilton deserves to be in the big leagues. It's not a video game though. Teams aren't just going to discard a bunch of guys just so they can add players that aren't currently needed. 

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that we just cut everyone. But I also believe that there are quite a few guys of little to no value that don't exactly deserve to be penciled into the 40 man.

At the same time, the odds of teams actually selecting a lot of the guys we need to protect are slim. We saw this last year with Guerrero going unprotected, to the surprise of many, and not getting taken. There's still enormous risk involved with taking a player in the Rule 5 and actually keeping him on the MLB roster all year. Guys like Zavala, Burr, etc? Sure, I can definitely see teams taking them. Players like Mendick (skill), Guerrero (don't think we'd miss him too much), or Forbes (too raw for MLB), however, I don't see teams taking, and if they do, I don't think it would go very well for those teams.