2019 OD Roster Thread with a focus on Eloy

ScootsMcGoots

A lot of people have spoken about who will be the odd man out when Eloy comes up, specifically Davidson, Delmonico or Palka...

What's tough about this, is I think a lot of people are kind of done with the Davidson experiment (I know I am). Palka seems to be a legitimate 40 hr guy, and a left-handed hitter to boot, and Nicky, well, I'm not sure we really know what his ceiling is yet. But, Jimenez doesn't play 3B or 1B (Davidson's positions), he plays corner OF (Nicky/Palka's positions). I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this particular predicament. I for one think the Sox will go with one less pitcher in the pen and have 4 bench guys, so, when healthy, I think our roster will look like this (if you think the Sox will hold Eloy until end of April, pretend this is the end of April roster...):

Starters:

1B Jose

2B Moncada

3B Yolmer

SS Anderson

LF The Bessssss

CF Engel/Leury

RF Avi

C Narvaez/Castillo

DH Palka (vs. RHP) or Davidson (vs. LHP)

Bench:

OF/IF Leury or OF Engel

C Castillo/Narvaez

LF/RF/1B Delmonico

LF/RF Palka or 3B/1B Davidson

Pretty much the same exact roster as this year, again, when healthy. I don't think they make any big position-player splashed in free agency this off-season.

I also think 2019 is Avi's last year in a Sox uniform. Also kind of hoping Engel's recent hot streak is indicative of him growing as a major league hitter, and maybe he can hit for a .260 average and walk some more. With that speed and defense, that would be more than serviceable.

Thoughts?

Edited by Scoots

3 minutes ago, Scoots said:

A lot of people have spoken about who will be the odd man out when Eloy comes up, specifically Davidson, Delmonico or Palka...

What's tough about this, is I think a lot of people are kind of done with the Davidson experiment (I know I am). Palka seems to be a legitimate 40 hr guy, and a left-handed hitter to boot, and Nicky, well, I'm not sure we really know what his ceiling is yet. But, Jimenez doesn't play 3B or 1B (Davidson's positions), he plays corner OF (Nicky/Palka's positions). I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this particular predicament. I for one think the Sox will go with one less pitcher in the pen and have 4 bench guys, so, when healthy, I think our roster will look like this (if you think the Sox will hold Eloy until end of April, pretend this is the end of April roster...):

Starters:

1B Jose

2B Moncada

3B Yolmer

SS Anderson

LF The Bessssss

CF Engel/Leury

RF Avi

C Narvaez/Castillo

Bench:

OF/IF Leury or OF Engel

C Castillo/Narvaez

LF/RF/1B Delmonico

Pretty much the same exact roster as this year, again, when healthy. I don't think they make any big position-player splashed in free agency this off-season.

I also think 2019 is Avi's last year in a Sox uniform. Also kind of hoping Engel's recent hot streak is indicative of him growing as a major league hitter, and maybe he can hit for a .260 average and walk some more. With that speed and defense, that would be more than serviceable.

Thoughts?

2018 might be Avi's last year.  He is about to get expensive in his arb years.

I think Avi's future largely depends on his first half next year. If he has a great first half, I could see the Sox trying to make a play to keep him, but if he's largely in .700-.750 territy he's probably toast. There's more upside seeing where Palka/Delmonico/Engel turn into and a .750 OPS corner OF is a dime a dozen. I think he's going to have arthroscopic surgery on his knee in an attempt to address his chronic hamstring problems this offseason? Hopefully that's a good thing for him. I think the jury's out whether he's truly grown into an .800 OPS player or more like the .740-.760 OPS player he's been every season but last year. I think the Sox will largely hedge their bets between Davidson / Palka / Delmonico / Avi / Engel playing 2/3rds time at various positions in an attempt to get all players at least 400 PAs to know where to go in 2020, which will I think determine their FA course.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

2018 might be Avi's last year.  He is about to get expensive in his arb years.

Yeah, he had a big jump with that 6.7 million dollar contract he won last year. With his injuries this year though and the way he has played, unless he turns it up in September, his play hasn't really warranted a big raise. Maybe he goes to 7 mil? But that .234/.266(!!)/.432 slash line doesn't look very nice...not to mention a -.3 WAR. Ultimately, I think injuries screwed him over, but he just isn't the player he was last year. He isn't hitting the ball up the middle/the other way as much which is what got him most of his success last year, contributing to that ungodly BABIP. 

I think in 2020 we see Eloy take over in RF, with Robert getting the call later in the year in center and maybe Basabe in LF.

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Things look a whole lot brighter if you pencil in Manny Machado.  

This offseason could be interesting.  I doubt we get him or other elite FAs, but hope to see the Sox at least show serious interest.  

I know I’ll be in the minority here, but I think we have a solid chance of landing Machado.

• Like 1

Here’s my offseason prediction:

• Sign Manny Machado to 10/$350M deal
  • Sign J.A. Happ to 2/$30M deal
  • Sign Daniel Murphy to 2/$23M deal
  • Sign Leonys Martin to 1/$9M deal

2019 Opening Day Roster:

• 1. Moncada, 2B
  • 2. Machado, 3B
  • 3. Abreu, DH
  • 4. Jiménez, LF
  • 5. Murphy, 1B
  • 6. A. Garcia, RF
  • 7. Anderson, SS
  • 8. Narvaez, C
  • 9. Martin, CF
  •  
  • IF: Sanchez
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: L. Garcia
  • BC: Castillo
  •  
  • #1: Rodon
  • #2: Kopech
  • #3: Happ
  • #4: Giolito
  • #5: Lopez
  •  
  • CL: Burdi
  • SU: Hamilton
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones/Vieira
  • MR: Bummer/Frare
  • MR: Covey
  • LR: Stephens

I’d also look to add a veteran RH reliever on a one year deal, but couldn’t come up with a name off the top of my head.

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s my offseason prediction:

• Sign Manny Machado to 10/$350M deal
  • Sign J.A. Happ to 2/$30M deal
  • Sign Daniel Murphy to 2/$23M deal
  • Sign Leonys Martin to 1/$9M deal

2019 Opening Day Roster:

• 1. Moncada, 2B
  • 2. Machado, 3B
  • 3. Abreu, DH
  • 4. Jiménez, LF
  • 5. Murphy, 1B
  • 6. A. Garcia, RF
  • 7. Anderson, SS
  • 8. Narvaez, C
  • 9. Martin, CF
  •  
  • IF: Sanchez
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: L. Garcia
  • BC: Castillo
  •  
  • #1: Rodon
  • #2: Kopech
  • #3: Happ
  • #4: Giolito
  • #5: Lopez
  •  
  • CL: Burdi
  • SU: Hamilton
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones/Vieira
  • MR: Bummer/Frare
  • MR: Covey
  • LR: Stephens

I’d also look to add a veteran RH reliever on a one year deal, but couldn’t come up with a name off the top of my head.

Hard pass on those FAs outside of Manny

Opening Day?

C; Omar Narvaez, Wellington Castillo
1B: Abreu, Davidson
2B: Moncada
3B: Yolmer
SS: Anderson
OF: Avi, Engel, Leury, Palka, Nicky
Rotation: Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Stephens
Bullpen: Jones, Fry, Fulmer, Bummer, Burr, Hamilton, Vieria 

Really not too different

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Opening Day?

Really not too different

The pitching staff is a drastic improvement over the one they had to start this year.

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Opening Day?

Really not too different

Really would love to keep Smith over Castillo

Engel building off this August would be huge, love what I've seen from him and TA7

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nitpicking, but since they won’t need a 5th starter until 4-10, Stephens won’t make the OD roster. 

That should be the case, but (I may be wrong) I feel like they've had opportunities to do this with their 5th starter in recent years but have deliberately gone through a normal, 5 starter rotation with the extra rest early on 

10 hours ago, Scoots said:

Starters:

1B Jose

2B Moncada

3B Yolmer

SS Anderson

LF The Bessssss

CF Engel/Leury

RF Avi

C Narvaez/Castillo

Bench:

OF/IF Leury or OF Engel

C Castillo/Narvaez

LF/RF/1B Delmonico

Thoughts?

With young arms, I can’t see them not keeping that extra bullpen arm.

I have Machado pegged for the Yankees to play 3B and the Yanks dealing Andujar in a package for pitching. Long-term, no they wouldn't be able to keep all of Judge, Stanton, Machado but for controllable years of Judge I don't think they would be worried. Yes, Judge will get expensive but just like the Dodgers, they are resetting their luxury tax penalties this season so they likely plan on going over for at least a few years again.

Edited by soxfan2014

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I have Machado pegged for the Yankees to play 3B and the Yanks dealing Andujar in a package for pitching. Long-term, no they wouldn't be able to keep all of Judge, Stanton, Machado but for controllable years of Judge I don't think they would be worried. Yes, Judge will get expensive but just like the Dodgers, they are resetting their luxury tax penalties this season so they likely plan on going over for at least a few years again.

I think the Yankees blow their wad on pitching, with Corbin being a strong possibility.