Avi to have off season surgery

southsider2k5

Whay am I missing? Knowing this was a rebuilding year, why didn't they just have him examined after the Opening Day injury and have the surgery back then? He ended up w a couple of hammy's due to the knee but he also could have hurt the knew more as well. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Whay am I missing? Knowing this was a rebuilding year, why didn't they just have him examined after the Opening Day injury and have the surgery back then? He ended up w a couple of hammy's due to the knee but he also could have hurt the knew more as well. 

As was pointed out, Avi has all of the incentives in the world to try to play this year.  He might well be walking into a contract year if the Sox non-tender him.

3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I'm sure some will disagree, but this didn't seem to be the training staff's best year.

22 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I hope the Sox keep Avi and being healthy should be a good thing as far as his play is concerned 

I see basically no upside in keeping Avi.  Best case scenario he blows up and the Sox get some middling prospect for him next July.  I'd rather non-tender him and use that $10M towards signing a better OF, that can either be used as a stopgap until the kids fill the OF, or used as trade currency if he performs well.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see basically no upside in keeping Avi.  Best case scenario he blows up and the Sox get some middling prospect for him next July.  I'd rather non-tender him and use that $10M towards signing a better OF, that can either be used as a stopgap until the kids fill the OF, or used as trade currency if he performs well.   

No one really wanted him when he was having his career year, and we have other OFs to worry about.  I am all for non-tending him and opening up the slot.  For me it isn't about cost savings, it is about having the spots open.

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one really wanted him when he was having his career year, and we have other OFs to worry about.  I am all for non-tending him and opening up the slot.  For me it isn't about cost savings, it is about having the spots open.

The only way it makes sense to keep Avi is if they plan to sign a true CF like Aj Pollock, which I highly doubt is in the plans.