Mike Hargrove

DBAHO

From Chicagosports.com

Add Mike Hargrove to the long list of names that the White Sox have not contacted for an interview in their managerial search.

Buddy Bell's agent said Tuesday his client had not been reached. Marlins bench coach Ozzie Guillen hasn't heard a word. Same goes for Wally Backman, whose candidacy may be more imagined than real.

Orioles bench coach Sam Perlozzo will interview for Baltimore's vacancy on Oct. 14. But the Sox haven't contacted him and there's no indication they will.

Former Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston is the perceived favorite for the job, but Gaston has declined to return several messages left at his Florida home over the last week.

At the very least, Sox general manager Ken Williams is succeeding in his stated goal of keeping progress reports out of the newspaper.

Whether he's actually making progress is unknown.

The Sox apparently see no need to operate at a pace similar to that of the Orioles, who already have interviewed Hall of Famer Eddie Murray.

After formally announcing Jerry Manuel's dismissal on Sept. 29, Williams said he wanted to introduce his new manager between the final game of the World Series and the team's organizational meetings in early November.

The World Series will end no later than Oct. 26, giving Williams at least a week to meet his timetable.

The Sox apparently are taking their time in an effort to research their list of candidates thoroughly.

There's also a strong chance the Sox will interview a coach from one of the teams in the postseason. Aside from Guillen, Yankees third-base coach Willie Randolph could draw interest.

Hargrove has interest in the Sox but the feeling has yet to be mutual.

Although there are no signs Hargrove will emerge as a candidate, he remains hopeful.

"I met and know Kenny [Williams] and have watched him work from the outside," Hargrove said Tuesday from his home in Ohio. "It looks like he has done a very good job.

"Certainly as a manager you want to have a chance to win. That makes the Sox's job very attractive."

Hargrove, whom the Orioles dismissed last week after he posted a 275-372 (.425) record in four seasons, said he has no strong connections to anyone in the Sox's organization.

His closest link might be Sox bench coach Joe Nossek, with whom he overlapped in Cleveland. Nossek coached Hargrove from 1979-81 for the Indians.

Quite frankly I don't want Hargrove as our next managers, there's some way betta candidates out there.

well ozzies in town today for the cubs marlins series i wouldnt be surprised if he got interviewed yesterday or today or even tomarrow.

If a person is under contract to another team you can not talk to them about a job without permission from the team that holds their contract. I have not heard anything about KW asking the Marlins for permission to talk to Ozzie has anyone else? Plus I doubt Ozzie would discuss it now with the playoffs going on. I have nothing against Cito Gaston but hope that KW at least looks at other candidates. The media would have you believe that the seach is over, and I suppose it might well be, but let's hope others get a look. Personally I don't want Hargrove. He has shown nothing that we need.