Trade maggs to LA?

kramer99

$14M players need to produce to win 1-0 games (Det. twice and San Diego,) I like Maggs and he puts up great numbers.  The fact he has one game winning hit in his career and Alex Gonzalez has 7 (5 via the home run) in two years with the cub makes me wonder.  Also, Maggs is a great hitter when the weather is nice.  This takes away half of our season.

This being said, could you sell the Rangers on him straight-up?  They are looking to cut $20M in payroll for A-Rod this would be $11M and he could leave via free agency if he doesn't pan out or you sign him for less (Maggs and Texas) next season.  This would show me JR is serious.

Konerko-Lee-Maggs = greater than $25M for next year.  You bring Alomar and Everatt back cheap.  Resign Colon and we take some spotlight from America's Team.

Alomar-Rowand -Everett-A-Rod-Daubach-Thomas-Crede-Reed-Olivo = $43M assuming $5M for everett and Alomar and $6M for Thomas.

Garland-Colon-Buerhle-Loiaza-Schoenweis = $1M,$13M, $3M, $3M $1.5M = $20.5M

$6m for the pen = $70M total for team.  Are we serious????????

The question is are you serious? First of all, no we don't spend 70 million. That's not the White Sox way. Secondly, Colon wants more than 13 million, Everett will likely make more than 5 million, Garland will make more than 1 million...

I think they'll move Maggs, though.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$14M players need to produce to win 1-0 games (Det. twice and San Diego,) I like Maggs and he puts up great numbers.  The fact he has one game winning hit in his career and Alex Gonzalez has 7 (5 via the home run) in two years with the cub makes me wonder.  Also, Maggs is a great hitter when the weather is nice.  This takes away half of our season.

This being said, could you sell the Rangers on him straight-up?  They are looking to cut $20M in payroll for A-Rod this would be $11M and he could leave via free agency if he doesn't pan out or you sign him for less (Maggs and Texas) next season.  This would show me JR is serious.

Konerko-Lee-Maggs = greater than $25M for next year.  You bring Alomar and Everatt back cheap.  Resign Colon and we take some spotlight from America's Team.

Alomar-Rowand -Everett-A-Rod-Daubach-Thomas-Crede-Reed-Olivo = $43M assuming $5M for everett and Alomar and $6M for Thomas.

The question is are you serious? First of all, no we don't spend 70 million. That's not the White Sox way. Secondly, Colon wants more than 13 million, Everett will likely make more than 5 million, Garland will make more than 1 million...

That was my point. A serious organization can take what we have and build something big. I realize we won't spend the money and do this.

I believe the dollar amount of Colon is what he will settle for. This was what guys got last year and the market seems to be tougher this year as there are other guys out there.

The saving grace is that JR needs to realize that unless he takes huge steps this organization will be at its lowest point come Spring Training. Soxfest will consist of autograph seekers and that is it. The next two weeks and three months following can decide the fate of this team for the ten years. My idea was to bring us to a level to compete with America's Team, if not, a $60M payroll is useless as it will not be compteitve enough to gain and recognition needed to draw more than 10,000 a night.

That was my point. A serious organization can take what we have and build something big. I realize we won't spend the money and do this.

I believe the dollar amount of Colon is what he will settle for. This was what guys got last year and the market seems to be tougher this year as there are other guys out there.

The saving grace is that JR needs to realize that unless he takes huge steps this organization will be at its lowest point come Spring Training. Soxfest will consist of autograph seekers and that is it. The next two weeks and three months following can decide the fate of this team for the ten years. My idea was to bring us to a level to compete with America's Team, if not, a $60M payroll is useless as it will not be compteitve enough to gain and recognition needed to draw more than 10,000 a night.

I think you're absolutely right. I've been a Sox fan for 5 decades, and I've never been so pessimistic about ownership's commitment. Veeck in the 70's had no money, and so you knew they'd be bad. But this ownership....you just don't feel they give a s***.

Two things.......

1. Don't forget that all 40 players on the roster make up the ML payroll, not just the 25 on the Sox roster. The other 15 aren't much in terms of numbers, but they still need to be figured in.

2. I don't understand the pessimism. I know the Sox season in some ways was very disappointing, but I also thought it was very encouraging in others. Every year some tweaking is going to be necessary, but the tone here seems to think a fire sale is coming in the next month or two.

I believe the free agent market will allow the Sox to find players that will fit (both on the field and in the books) and there may be a trade or two that may help. There also is the possibility of making moves during the season like this year that could help give the club a push.

I think patience is in order here because the Sox could be very solid next year, especially with the improvement of some of the young guys. I wouldn't get too caught up in payroll numbers at this point.

Two things.......

1.  Don't forget that all 40 players on the roster make up the ML payroll, not just the 25 on the Sox roster.  The other 15 aren't much in terms of numbers, but they still need to be figured in.

2.  I don't understand the pessimism.  I know the Sox season in some ways was very disappointing, but I also thought it was very encouraging in others.  Every year some tweaking is going to be necessary, but the tone here seems to think a fire sale is coming in the next month or two. 

I believe the free agent market will allow the Sox to find players that will fit (both on the field and in the books) and there may be a trade or two that may help.  There also is the possibility of making moves during the season like this year that could help give the club a push. 

I think patience is in order here because the Sox could be very solid next year, especially with the improvement of some of the young guys.  I wouldn't get too caught up in payroll numbers at this point.

Rex, I hope you're right, but here's what I see as dark clouds on the horizon. I consider Colon gone. Replacing his 244 or so innings will be no easy task. Say somehow they do. There's still no real fifth starter, and who can say what Garland will do next year. So the rotation, the most important thing about a club, is up in the air.

Bullpen loses Gordon. What Koch will we get? That's a problem.

There is no shortstop who can hit and field.

Konerko is an 8 million dollar problem.

Frank is Frank.

The player who showed the most heart, Everett, will not be back.

They don't think they can afford Ordonez.

It doesn't seem like the minor leaguers are ready, altho we all hope for good things from Reed.

The guy who will make these decisions, KW, has been successful about half the time, and his failures aren't just little ones, they're the Grand Canyon of failures. A GM can't be successful half the time, not if you want the club to be good.

So those are my concerns. Doesn't this seem like a long list of problems to you? It seems to me that there are too many ifs here to just rely on the division being weak.

I understand your concerns, but many of those could be rectified very easily in the offseason. I guess my thought is there is a difference in being concerned, yet hopeful, than being pessimistic. I just think pessimism to the point of sounding as if you are already writing the season off is going a bit too far at this point. I see more hope than that, despite very valid concerns.

Lots of time for these things to play out.

If its Odalis, Cesar, and Edwin Jackson, I'd do it.

Odalis would be a great 3rd-4th starter. Cesar is an NL type player and wont provide much offense, but hes just about the most solid defensive ss in the league. Edwin Jackson is probably their top prospect and would be ready to pitch next year. Having Maggs gone would be a huge hole in the lineup but that deal would be much better in the long run. It would also free up more money to resign Colon.

Colon

Buehrle

Esteban

Odalis

Edwin Jackson/Garland

That looks damn good to me. :huh:

Something tells me the Dodgers won't give up that much for Ordonez.

Then again, we're talking about Dan Evans here.

I am thinking our team is destined to always suck.

If we get rid of Maggs, Konerko and Lee as suggested, who knows what our lineup

will be like?

With our history of acquiring stiffs like Ritchie, Clayton, et. all and the fact our roster

apparently has to be revamped because of money, we're doomed.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Cubs are making the World Series when we kicked

their ass and have a better team on paper.

Hey, I LOVE Maggs. But he's not worth 14 million. He's not. He strikes out too much, he grounds into too many DP's, he is average defensively, he's not fast at all, and try to name me the last game he has ever won with a big hit.

He's basically Sammy Sosa Jr. Puts up a nice statistical season every year, but it doesn't mean jack.

I would trade him tomorrow instead of paying him a "superstar" salary. Maggs is a really good player - but he's not a "superstar." And his salary this year would be for a "superstar" player, not a really good player who hasn't distinguished himself yet as being a clutch player.

Sorry Maggs - but you ain't worth it.

Goodbye.