Heyman says White Sox interested in Nelson Cruz

Sleepy Harold

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He did say this (over & over again) and based it entirely on Fangraphs pitch value, but ignored all the Statcast data I provided that showed no decline against  high velocity fastballs.  It was slower fastballs that were the problem during Abreu’s slump.  But hey, once Balta has an idea in his head, it’s literally impossible to convince him otherwise.

And y'all never bothered to read the part where I said over and over that he wouldn't remain a .500 OPS player the rest of the year.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

No, I’m trying to point out that your theories about Jose Abreu were wrong and it appears you’re using similar logic with Nelson Cruz now.

You're right, I am using similar logic, because Jose Abreu's 2018 season was his worst in baseball and his performance was absolutely disconcerting and a big worry for the future. Please tell me how Jose Abreu's 2018 season gives you confidence for his future.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're right, I am using similar logic, because Jose Abreu's 2018 season was his worst in baseball and his performance was absolutely disconcerting and a big worry for the future. Please tell me how Jose Abreu's 2018 season gives you confidence for his future.

Yet, he still won the silver slugger. We literally have the beat first baseman in the American League right now. 

3 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Yet, he still won the silver slugger. We literally have the beat first baseman in the American League right now. 

Oh come on you're really going to make me do this aren't you?

CJ Cron produced a higher OPS than Abreu, a higher OPS+/RC+ because he was playing in the Trop, was better defensively,  and played a full season. However, he spent 1/2 the year at DH. 

Matt Olson produced a slightly lower OPS than Abreu but a higher OPS+/RC+ because he was playing in Oakland, played all 162 games, was substantially better defensively.

Justin Smoak had a higher OPS than Abreu, a higher wOBA, a higher wRC+, but was worse on the basepaths, leading to him being comparable in performance to Abreu.

All 3 of them produced higher WAR than Abreu this year. 2 of them clearly outperformed 2018 Abreu, with Smoak it was close. 

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You probably thought the Big Hurt’s career was over at age 37 when he left the White Sox too. Some guys still produce between ages 37-40 and wouldn’t be surprised Cruz and Abreu are those types of guys. It’s ridiculous to write off Jose after one injury plagued season and Cruz has proven to be one of the best hitters in the league despite his age. Of course there’s some risk but a short term relatively low dollar amount deal isn’t much of a risk for this team.

I mean why not he will probably have just as much impact as Machado at 1/10 the cost. The smart move for teams who don't have 200+ million to spend on guys who play premium positions is to have cost controlled guys fill that role and get good production from LF/1B/DH.

People on this board think it's like the NBA where one superstar is the key to your fortunes no filling holes is. Machado (orioles) and Harper both teams missed the playoffs.

This team has holes up and down the roster we could sign both Machado and Harper we'd still miss the playoffs. Hell we probably wouldn't even be .500

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

I mean why not he will probably have just as much impact as Machado at 1/10 the cost. The smart move for teams who don't have 200+ million to spend on guys who play premium positions is to have cost controlled guys fill that role and get good production from LF/1B/DH.

People on this board think it's like the NBA where one superstar is the key to your fortunes no filling holes is. Machado (orioles) and Harper both teams missed the playoffs.

This team has holes up and down the roster we could sign both Machado and Harper we'd still miss the playoffs. Hell we probably wouldn't even be .500

I guess this is one of the biggest drinking nights of the year.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh come on you're really going to make me do this aren't you?

CJ Cron produced a higher OPS than Abreu, a higher OPS+/RC+ because he was playing in the Trop, was better defensively,  and played a full season. However, he spent 1/2 the year at DH. 

Matt Olson produced a slightly lower OPS than Abreu but a higher OPS+/RC+ because he was playing in Oakland, played all 162 games, was substantially better defensively.

Justin Smoak had a higher OPS than Abreu, a higher wOBA, a higher wRC+, but was worse on the basepaths, leading to him being comparable in performance to Abreu.

All 3 of them produced higher WAR than Abreu this year. 2 of them clearly outperformed 2018 Abreu, with Smoak it was close. 

This tells me that everybody needs to shut up about first basemen being a dime a dozen.  Something changed- most of them suck now. 

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I guess this is one of the biggest drinking nights of the year.

People act like Machado is going to put up another career year. He had a .782 OPS the year before and a .822 career ops 4,8 WAR/5.8 WAR 600 PA.

Sanchez has averaged a .702 OPS the last two years and 3 WAR/3.8 WAR 600 PA mainly on the basis of his defense.

I'm not saying 3B isn't an area of concern of course it is we need more offense from the position but I look at DH which we had two players share the role and put up a combined .758 OPS and realize you can upgrade that position first much more cheaply and whomever you bring at 3B is unlikely to be better defensively then Sanchez.

It's something the Redsox have always managed to figure out first with Ortiz and then with Martinez. Why give a guy 10 years when you can pay a guy like Martinez who is much,much more likely to put up a .900-1.000 OPS moving forward for 3-5 years at around 1/3 the price.

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

People act like Machado is going to put up another career year. He had a .782 OPS the year before and a .822 career ops 4,8 WAR/5.8 WAR 600 PA.

Sanchez has averaged a .702 OPS the last two years and 3 WAR/3.8 WAR 600 PA mainly on the basis of his defense.

I'm not saying 3B isn't an area of concern of course it is we need more offense from the position but I look at DH which we had two players share the role and put up a combined .758 OPS and realize you can upgrade that position first much more cheaply and whomever you bring at 3B is unlikely to be better defensively then Sanchez.

Por que no los dos?

On 11/21/2018 at 11:29 PM, Dam8610 said:

Por que no los dos? 

Can we afford to do both on a moderate payroll?

Machado could work if we have no other holes on the roster and he'd essentially be an upgrade over whomever else was at 3B. But if we are carrying a lighthitting 1B/LF or DH because we cannot afford otherwise due to all our money being tied up in a premium position player what is the point? Or we are unable to address holes in our starting rotation? Then you just become the modern day Alex Rodriguez texas rangers who despite having the best hitting shortstops in baseball routinely lost 70-80 games because they never could afford to address their rotation.

I look at this roster and I see holes everywhere. Even Abreu is getting older and only has one year left. I don't see how we can afford to tie up 30-40 million of a likely 120-130 million payroll until we see the kids and figure out where the other needs are.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Btw I don't see a fit here. Sox are not a real contender unless something braves happens and several rookies have 3 plus war seasons and others overperform and at some point Cruz is going to decline.

Cruz value is that he likely still mashes in 2019.  Btw I don't think Cruz is wanting to do that either, this is likely his final two years of play and he wants to make money but also probably play some playoffs. He probably would much rather play for the Astros or so who are bad at 1b/DH and could need him.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, wrathofhahn said:

It's something the Redsox have always managed to figure out first with Ortiz and then with Martinez. Why give a guy 10 years when you can pay a guy like Martinez who is much,much more likely to put up a .900-1.000 OPS moving forward for 3-5 years at around 1/3 the price.

3B is killing us on the offensive side. LF and RF not much better. 

• 3 weeks later...