White Sox no longer have interest in Eovaldi

southsider2k5

31 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Plenty of teams interested in adding starting pitching. Eovaldi should certainly be able to land a three, maybe even four year deal on the open market. 

I'd guess 3/45 is the starting point

He's gonna get a paid alot more than 3/$45. 

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I think one factor will be Eovaldi's feeling at being a 4/5 in Boston. He has a World Championship but due to numbers ended up in the bullpen in WS. Maybe he will want to go somewhere that he can be a 2/3 starter. 

Not entirely true either... he was one of Boston’s best starters playoffs. It just so happened he worked out of the pen due to the longest game in World Series history.

31 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Not entirely true either... he was one of Boston’s best starters playoffs. It just so happened he worked out of the pen due to the longest game in World Series history.

Eovaldi is a guy that will cash in due to his age in free agency. I expect him to land a three year deal worth around $45 million at the end of the day. His injury past will scare teams away from going beyond three years I feel. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Eovaldi is a guy that will cash in due to his age in free agency. I expect him to land a three year deal worth around $45 million at the end of the day. His injury past will scare teams away from going beyond three years I feel. 

There's a ton of interest to the point where I think the winning team gets him at 4 years.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There's a ton of interest to the point where I think the winning team gets him at 4 years.

Maybe, but teams seem to be smarter than they used to be. Without the injury history? He likely does get 4-5 years.

Going beyond 3 years is too great a risk in my opinion. 

36 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Maybe, but teams seem to be smarter than they used to be. Without the injury history? He likely does get 4-5 years.

Going beyond 3 years is too great a risk in my opinion. 

Signing any FA that is worth a damn is going to be a risk.  At some point, you need to take risks to win baseball games.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Signing any FA that is worth a damn is going to be a risk.  At some point, you need to take risks to win baseball games.  

And that point should be when we have a strong roster ready to win substantial numbers of baseball games on its own, where we're adding one or two pieces at the end to finish the roster off.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And that point should be when we have a strong roster ready to win substantial numbers of baseball games on its own, where we're adding one or two pieces at the end to finish the roster off.

Do you think that 23-24 of the next 25 competitive roster spots are going to come from our current system?

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Do you think that 23-24 of the next 25 competitive roster spots are going to come from our current system?

Do you think that 25 is the correct number to consider when you're talking about a guy likely to get $15 million per year? No one cares if your backup catcher or 5th reliever comes from outside the system. 

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If things were up to you, we'd be rebuilding for 10 years.  I am glad you're not in charge.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If things were up to you, we'd be rebuilding for 10 years.  I am glad you're not in charge.  

Looking back at the White Sox's performance for the last 10 seasons...I have some bad news for you about the people who are in charge and how aggressive moves for mid-level free agents work out.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Looking back at the White Sox's performance for the last 10 seasons...I have some bad news for you about the people who are in charge and how aggressive moves for mid-level free agents work out.

FWIW, I am not super interested in Eovaldi for what he is probably going to get.

But I don't think our path to getting better is running the same team out there again in 2019 like you repeat constantly that you want to do.  Adding outside of the org reinforcements is important to take the next step.  I am worried another 60 win season would be terribly detrimental to the young guys we have that we all want to be a part of the next core.  The Sox to take the next step in the rebuild and start improving.  Signing some FA that don't subtract from our farm or block key guys is the way to do that.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW, I am not super interested in Eovaldi for what he is probably going to get.

But I don't think our path to getting better is running the same team out there again in 2019 like you repeat constantly that you want to do.  Adding outside of the org reinforcements is important to take the next step.  I am worried another 60 win season would be terribly detrimental to the young guys we have that we all want to be a part of the next core.  The Sox to take the next step in the rebuild and start improving.  Signing some FA that don't subtract from our farm or block key guys is the way to do that.  

Bryce Harper or Manny Machado would be fine additions.

We clearly need at least 2 free agent pitchers on 1 year deals. There is simply no way around this, we do not have the human power. Frankly, we should get 2 free agent pitchers and then someone a-la Santiago last year who can be a sacrificial lamb when guys get hurt or have bad outings in the first inning. 

After last season, I also wouldn't complain about Moustakas if we miss out on Machado, and you could probably convince me to go a couple years for him, since there's no obvious sign that we have any help coming any time soon at 3b.

But, you said it yourself...FA that "Don't...block key guys". I would call Kopech and Cease key guys, so right there you just made my case to stay away from pitchers on multi-year deals, like Eovaldi, because those are our key guys and we shouldn't block them.