White Sox no longer have interest in Eovaldi

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Bryce Harper or Manny Machado would be fine additions.

We clearly need at least 2 free agent pitchers on 1 year deals. There is simply no way around this, we do not have the human power. Frankly, we should get 2 free agent pitchers and then someone a-la Santiago last year who can be a sacrificial lamb when guys get hurt or have bad outings in the first inning. 

After last season, I also wouldn't complain about Moustakas if we miss out on Machado, and you could probably convince me to go a couple years for him, since there's no obvious sign that we have any help coming any time soon at 3b.

But, you said it yourself...FA that "Don't...block key guys". I would call Kopech and Cease key guys, so right there you just made my case to stay away from pitchers on multi-year deals, like Eovaldi, because those are our key guys and we shouldn't block them. 

Jesus Christ man, adding one controllable starting pitcher won’t block anyone.  You are the first person I have ever met who cried about having too much starting pitching.  If they all work out, which is incredibly unlikely, we have some depth to deal from.  That is a good problem to have.  Regardless, Kopech & Cease (if healthy) will be given their opportunities next year no matter what and room will be made if necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jesus Christ man, adding one controllable starting pitcher won’t block anyone.  You are the first person I have ever met who cried about having too much starting pitching.  If they all work out, which is incredibly unlikely, we have some depth to deal from.  That is a good problem to have.  Regardless, Kopech & Cease (if healthy) will be given their opportunities next year no matter what and room will be made if necessary.

I'm good with them going with 1-year deal types for 2019, but for 2020, I wouldn't mind them being active on the SP market since it is deeper.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I'm good with them going with 1-year deal types for 2019, but for 2020, I wouldn't mind them being active on the SP market since it is deeper.

And I’m totally fine with that if we plan to spend big on a starter.  That’s called being forward thinking and thinking through the best multi-year plan for the organization.  I just can’t agree with the concept that adding one veteran starter right now somehow blocks one of our kids in 2020.  

Let’s say we sign Eovaldi and all three of our young starters take a leap next year (Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito).  Worst case scenario, we have a young left-handed starter in Rodon under control for two more years that we can trade to fill other holes or add prospect depth back to the system.  I just don’t see how anyone could view this as a problem.

• Like 1

Just now, SCCWS said:

Eovaldi is only 28. If you sign him for 4 years, he could be a key SP in the next pennant run. But obviously his arm/health is the question whether they want to take a run at him.  If he is good, who cares who he blocks?

The problem with Eovaldi is you’re paying him for how performed down the stretch & in the playoffs with the Red Sox.  He had never really performed like that before and given his injury history, you’re taking on a ton of risk with him.  I’d need Cooper & Schneider to feel confident they could keep him healthy & productive in order to sign him for what he’ll likely command and even then I’d hate going beyond three years.

To be fair he had some good stretches/even seasons before he went down with TJ. Plus he’s totally revamped his pitching style and the cutter allows him to tackle hitters better. I don’t love giving him a bunch of years but would love to get him on short years + big money.  

He’s got #2 starter breakout potential with the consistent velo and strike percentage (the comps are insane).  Linking a recent fangraphs article on it below. He’s a bit of a younger Morton that could have an even higher ceiling.  And even a 2-3 WAR starter (which he’s been in the past) makes him worth $15+ million, which is hard to believe but true  

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nathan-eovaldi-is-a-unicorn/

3 minutes ago, username said:

To be fair he had some good stretches/even seasons before he went down with TJ. Plus he’s totally revamped his pitching style and the cutter allows him to tackle hitters better. I don’t love giving him a bunch of years but would love to get him on short years + big money.  

He’s got #2 starter breakout potential with the consistent velo and strike percentage (the comps are insane).  Linking a recent fangraphs article on it below. He’s a bit of a younger Morton that could have an even higher ceiling.  And even a 2-3 WAR starter (which he’s been in the past) makes him worth $15+ million, which is hard to believe but true  

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nathan-eovaldi-is-a-unicorn/

All very fair points, but the difference between him and Morton is you’ll have to pay him for that breakout talent he flashed last year.  Charlie only got 2/$14M from the Astros, Eovaldi will likely get somewhere between 3/$48M & 6/$68M in this market.  There still could be some upside there, but it’s greatly outweighed by the downside risk IMO.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All very fair points, but the difference between him and Morton is you’ll have to pay him for that breakout talent he flashed last year.  Charlie only got 2/$14M from the Astros, Eovaldi will likely get somewhere between 3/$48M & 6/$68M in this market.  There still could be some upside there, but it’s greatly outweighed by the downside risk IMO.

Yeah understand the hesitancy for sure. I just think we’re in a payroll spot where we can take some risks in that range. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Eovaldi is only 28. If you sign him for 4 years, he could be a key SP in the next pennant run. But obviously his arm/health is the question whether they want to take a run at him.  If he is good, who cares who he blocks?

It’s not about blocking guys, it’s about risk. Injury prone number three starters are available every year at market rates. Why bet on this one not breaking down in years three and four of his deal?

Sign mid-rotation starters in the offseason when you really need them. 

59 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s not about blocking guys, it’s about risk. Injury prone number three starters are available every year at market rates. Why bet on this one not breaking down in years three and four of his deal?

Sign mid-rotation starters in the offseason when you really need them. 

Bingo.  It is one thing to get a front line star.  Unless we are talking about an actual need for 2019, I don't see why.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If that’s as bad as it gets, sign me up. 

• 3 weeks later...