40 Man Roster Changes

Chicago White Sox

So the deadline to set our 40 man roster prior for Rule 5 protection is tonight at 7pm.  Right now the Sox have five roster spots available to add players that require protection & could always open up a few more spots by removing a few players.  That being said, the Sox will likely keep a few spots open for external additions.

What are your predictions here?  Guys that require protection include Cease, Zavala, Medeiros, Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, Mendick, Thompson, & Banks.

There are a few more guys that could require protection, but the odds of them being selected are extremely low.  Just for reference, I’ve included a link to a roster resource that contains all this information below.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-white-sox/

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So the deadline to set our 40 man roster prior for Rule 5 protection is tonight at 7pm.  Right now the Sox have five roster spots available to add players that require protection & could always open up a few more spots by removing a few players.  That being said, the Sox will likely keep a few spots open for external additions.

What are your predictions here?  Guys that require protection include Cease, Zavala, Medeiros, Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, Mendick, Thompson, & Banks.

Those guys will get protected. I'm ok with leaving the others unprotected at this point. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Those guys will get protected. I'm ok with leaving the others unprotected at this point. 

I think we should definitely protect Stephens.  I still feel he could be a quality reliever.  Adams I’m far less concerned about given the low K rate.  I do think there is a decent chance they protect Thompson based on his AFL showing.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dylan Cease, Seby Zava, Kodi Medeiros and Jordan Stephens likely being added. That takes the roster to 39. Would need to maneuver further to add Adams or Thompson. 

It takes the roster to 39 but we need to maneuver to add a guy? I don't follow as there is a spot open. Unless you meant adding both those guys.

4 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The base assumption is the Sox will leave at least one slot open for the Rule 5 Draft.

And they have almost a month to clear it. Tonight is the deadline for guys to be added and guys can still be taken off. Non-tendering Avi would do this as that deadline is the end of the month. I also feel like we could see fringey type guys moved for nothing to clear space at some point (the Nick Delmonicos of the world dealt to a rebuilding team needing bodies at the MLB level).

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will too.  If they wanted him on the 40, he would have been up in September.  Same with Adams.

Stephens is 26 years old already, ceiling is a 5th starter, but he might be ok in middle relief? I wouldn't be heartbroken if he got selected. Same goes for Adams at this point. 

22 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Stephens is 26 years old already, ceiling is a 5th starter, but he might be ok in middle relief? I wouldn't be heartbroken if he got selected. Same goes for Adams at this point. 

I would rather try to trade Stephens than just lose him in the rule 5.  Surely some teams would have interest.  He's a major league ready back end of the rotation option.  A nice filler piece in a trade.  I think the Sox add him even if they don't really have him in their plans.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would rather try to trade Stephens than just lose him in the rule 5.  Surely some teams would have interest.  He's a major league ready back end of the rotation option.  A nice filler piece in a trade.  I think the Sox add him even if they don't really have him in their plans.  

Yeah he could make sense on a rebuilding team with no depth. Just not really worth much.

Edited by soxfan2014

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will too.  If they wanted him on the 40, he would have been up in September.  Same with Adams.

I think we may not have seen him because he was showing big time signs of fatigue down the stretch.  Sox just figured it was better to let him rest than continue his downward trend towards the end of the season.

Or....they just don't like him much.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think we may not have seen him because he was showing big time signs of fatigue down the stretch.  Sox just figured it was better to let him rest than continue his downward trend towards the end of the season.

Or....they just don't like him much.  

I think you’re spot-on with the fatigue angle.  I really think the Sox add him to the 40 and let him challenge for a bullpen spot and serve as rotational depth.