40 Man Roster Changes

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I had to guess, I’d assume Clarkin or Tilson is coming off, with Ian being the more likely of the two.

Still strange though...why take them off now?  Why not just wait until the spot is actually needed and fill your 40 man?  Maybe the idea is a lot of guys will be going through next day or two so it is easier to slip a guy like Clarkin or Tilson through waivers?  

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sounds like a promising addition.

He honestly profiles as a solid bullpen option. Hasn’t exactly failed yet as a starter yet either, so there’s no harm in letting him keep going until he proves otherwise. He gave up a ton of HR’s in Charlotte the last month but it seemed more like fatigue than skill. 

I think the Sox could sneak Clarkin through the rule 5 - guy was a dumpster fire last season.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

And he is behind at least 10 people for that slot as well, probably more as other guys move through the system.

Well he’s still technically a starter right now and would be in the top 6 on our current depth chart.  I personally think he’ll end up in the bullpen as a multi-inning guy (which can be valuable) and I’m not sure which 10 guys are clearly ahead him for bullpen roles.  In terms of RH relievers, I’d only put Jones & Hamilton well ahead him and Nate is always a huge question mark.  A healthy Burdi would also be ahead of Jordan as well.  Otherwise, I don’t see how guys like Burr, Vieira, Ruiz, & Fulmer are that much different in the pecking order.  And outside of Fulmer, most of those guys are shorter outing types.  I think some of you guys are really selling Jordan short as a possible multi-inning reliever / spot starter.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well he’s still technically a starter right now and would be in the top 6 on our current depth chart.  I personally think he’ll end up in the bullpen as a multi-inning guy (which can be valuable) and I’m not sure which 10 guys are clearly ahead him for bullpen roles.  In terms of RH relievers, I’d only put Jones & Hamilton well ahead him and Nate is always a huge question mark.  A healthy Burdi would also be ahead of Jordan as well.  Otherwise, I don’t see how guys like Burr, Vieira, Ruiz, & Fulmer are that much different in the pecking order.  And outside of Fulmer, most of those guys are shorter outing types.  I think some of you guys are really selling Jordan short as a possible multi-inning reliever / spot starter.

The Sox are absolutely going to add at least one more starting pitcher for the major league roster just from an innings stand point, plus more on the MiLB side which will push Stephens back as well.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox are absolutely going to add at least one more starting pitcher for the major league roster just from an innings stand point, plus more on the MiLB side which will push Stephens back as well.

And guys will be on innings limits, and guys will get hurt, and guys will suck. If he pitches well, he will get an opportunity. If not, he won’t. 

Nobody is buried on a 62 win team.

Edited by Dick Allen

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So did the Cubs add Clarkin to their 40 man roster?

Isn't that how the waiver claims work? Don't you claim them straight to your 40-man? Or no. Honestly not sure, just seems weird to claim him and then expose him, unless they are betting on him not making it on a major league roster all season, and thus being returned to them.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Isn't that how the waiver claims work? Don't you claim them straight to your 40-man? Or no. Honestly not sure, just seems weird to claim him and then expose him, unless they are betting on him not making it on a major league roster all season.

I’m assuming that has to be the case, but wasn’t 100% sure.  Just surprised anyone would claim him at this point.

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Isn't that how the waiver claims work? Don't you claim them straight to your 40-man? Or no. Honestly not sure, just seems weird to claim him and then expose him, unless they are betting on him not making it on a major league roster all season, and thus being returned to them.

Yes, you have to add them to your 40-man roster if you win a claim. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This may be a reach, but it seems like keeping two roster spots open means we’re probably signing one of Harper or Machado in the coming weeks.

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty big reach considering it wouldn't matter if there wasn't room on the 40. You would just open a spot then. And also, it's not guaranteed we sign either.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This may be a reach, but it seems like keeping two roster spots open means we’re probably signing one of Harper or Machado in the coming weeks.

"Probably"? I think you mean definitely.

But no, I think leaving two spots open means we want room for a FA, but not one of those two (necessarily). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty big reach considering it wouldn't matter if there wasn't room on the 40. You would just open a spot then. And also, it's not guaranteed we sign either.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

"Probably"? I think you mean definitely.

But no, I think leaving two spots open means we want room for a FA, but not one of those two (necessarily). 

Lol...I was 100% kidding.  I think they simply thought now was the best time to sneak Clarkin down.

• Like 1

In this day and age, with all the Ivy Leaguers in front offices, I'd find it hard to believe you could actually "sneak" anyone through that other teams were actually interested in...even in the days before a major holiday when many are traveling.  For front office staff, they're already 100% focused on the Winter Meetings.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

In this day and age, with all the Ivy Leaguers in front offices, I'd find it hard to believe you could actually "sneak" anyone through that other teams were actually interested in...even in the days before a major holiday when many are traveling.  For front office staff, they're already 100% focused on the Winter Meetings.

Watch out, Caulfield, you just offended one of our Mods.