Cano to Mets deal official

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

mlbtraderumors does attach haniger as a possibility to cano's contract as well. so let's just play for fun and say the sox decided this was the move ... kind of an Alex Rios move of sorts.. let's then put Haniger in CF (played 35 games in CF last year) and build out the defense. Let me preface this with he's a below average CF, but maybe he can man it for 1-2 years before shifting into LF/RF.\

Lineup for 2019 and 2020:

Cano- 3B

Haniger- CF

Bryce Harper - RF (follow along in dream scenario)

Abreu - 1b

Eloy - LF

Palka - DH

Moncada- 2b

Anderson - ss

You add on $65mm of payroll ($40mm for Harper for 5 years) and then opt out -- so front loaded, and then $24mm for Cano. You now have for the next 5 years -- Cano, Haniger, Harper, Eloy, Moncada, Anderson locked in. Shift Cano to DH when Abreu time is up, Harper to 1B, Haniger to RF and add Robert to CF 2 years from now. You shift the infield to include Madrigal 1.5 years from now & add him to the core.

Future lineup -- all locked in for 3 years.

Madrigal - 2b

Haniger - RF

Eloy - LF

Harper - 1B

Moncada - 3B

Robert - CF

Cano - DH

Anderson - SS

All you have to do is sign Harper (obviously BIG IF AND UNLIKELY) and take on Cano's contract.

Oh my god, this is beautiful.

34 minutes ago, Sockin said:

If this happens you can probably forget about the Mets trading Syndergaard.

Yeah they could always re-visit the idea of dealing him in the summer or next off-season. They also might net themselves a good trade chip in Diaz as well for a later date.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Two former first-round picks are among the #Mets prospects under discussion in talks with #Mariners for Cano-Diaz: OF Jarred Kelenic, 6th overall in 2018, and RHP Justin Dunn, 19th overall in ‘16. ”Significant momentum” in talks, per @JeffPassan.

Damn.  The M's better be picking up a lot of salary there, and knowing the Mets money situation has been awful, that might be.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Two former first-round picks are among the #Mets prospects under discussion in talks with #Mariners for Cano-Diaz: OF Jarred Kelenic, 6th overall in 2018, and RHP Justin Dunn, 19th overall in ‘16. ”Significant momentum” in talks, per @JeffPassan.

That makes a little more sense from a Mariner's perspective. To give up Diaz for Cano's money would be the ultimate in ownership cheapness.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That makes a little more sense from a Mariner's perspective. To give up Diaz for Cano's money would be the ultimate in ownership cheapness.

Yep. You can almost look at is as 2 separate deals in a way. Cano's salary dumped to the Mets and then Diaz for two top prospects.

Edited by soxfan2014

OPS+ over the last three years:

Harper: 133

Cano: 129

Machado: 128

That being said, if the Mets are eating a part of the contract AND giving back a guy like Kelenic??

I'd take the whole Cano contract if you gave me Haniger as the incentive and throw in like Carson Fulmer and Basabe... but that's about it.

9 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

OPS+ over the last three years:

Harper: 133

Cano: 129

Machado: 128

That being said, if the Mets are eating a part of the contract AND giving back a guy like Kelenic??

I'd take the whole Cano contract if you gave me Haniger as the incentive and throw in like Carson Fulmer and Basabe... but that's about it.

Great comparison.  If you ignore age, defense, & PEDs, Cano is right there with Harper & Machado!

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great comparison.  If you ignore age, defense, & PEDs, Cano is right there with Harper & Machado!

Didn't say anything about age, defense or PED's. Just giving stats of players that are considered available. Two of them cost $40mm a year. One is $24mm and you can get a Diaz included for free or possibly Haniger if you send back an asset or two back in their direction.

Just saying I'd be interested in talking the Mariners.

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

What an odd move for the Mets if this materializes. Woof.

Really depends how much $ is going along. Something like Cano (half contract paid by Ms) + Diaz for Dunn + Bruce + lower level guy seems palatable. Throw someone like Kelenic in there too and I dont Like it.  

• Like 1