• 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 50+

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes in 7th grade.. so its just the begining.. hes decided to drop the baseball spikes for the wrestling mat, which broke my heart but hey he wants to do it so ill have to be fine with it..lol.... having never been involved in wrestling before outside of seeing it on tv (which i know they dont do the same stuff in school as that lol) i was wondering how the whole thing works... workouts and such.. what will be expected of him ect. ect......thanks for your help.....

Junior high wrestling was and is great. Don't worry about any of the weight issues or skin issue. I never got ring worm until I was in high school. Most kids don't even cut weight in high school, cutting weight in junior high is unheard of. In junior high you just go and what you weight is fine with the team. It is just fun at that level. They work on basics and it is very easy to pick up. Over the years I have wrestled, I know easily hundred of variations on moves. I wouldn't be so dissapointed he gave up basketball for wrestling. Wrestling teaches so much off the mat aswell. It teaches great discipline and commitment. The junior high I went to now has 100 kids yearly on it's team. One thing I would make sure of is that he showers when he gets home. Alot of kids go home after practice, and run around the neighborhood with their friends in the same clothes they practiced in. For him it should be fun at this level. Everyone I know who has gone out for wrestling and put in effort, not just gone out and didn't care, loves the sport. Also, if he comes home and says he is getting beat and has no confidence, just let him know it happens to everyone. I have seen so many kids have trouble getting over that so-called barrier. You'll start to love wrestling if he sticks with it too. My parents started with me and my brother (2 years older than I) and they are very firmilar with the sport.

If you ever has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Just a little about my wrestling. I started wrestling in 4th grade. I tagged along with my brother who was starting junior high wrestling and went to camps with him. I wrestled at Cooper Middle School (6th-8th grade; 75lbs, 85, 100) where I qualified for IESA state each year, placing 6th my 8th grade year. I wrestled varsity at St. Viator High School for four years. I was 15-9 at 112 (fresh), 26-6 at 125 (soph), 24-5 at 130 (junior), and 30-7 at 135 (senior). I was a two time sectional qualifier and two time all ESCC (conf champ junior year). I never qualified for state because of some mistakes I made. I walked on to the Michigan State wrestling team this year. They were a top 5 team in country last year and beat the likes of Iowa last year in a duel.

Guest hotsoxchick1
basketball spikes??  :huh:  ;)

I wrestle and it really depends on the program but practice can be pretty strenuous.

didnt i put baseball spikes??? :huh: i thoguht i did lol lol lol........... ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1

ring worm??? weight classes ect.. yikes........thanks for all the info.... at least i have a head start here planning on what im gonna be dealing with........hes about 105 lbs now but tall around 5'6'' and looks pretty skinny, but hes very fast with his movements hes been praticing that the coach gave them for the tryouts......or at least i think he is anyhow lol...youve been at it for a very long time i see... and if he makes the team and as things progress im sure ill have tons of questions to ask......i appreciate the help here.....good luck with your future matches......(that is what they call them right? or is that a tv thing too???) the main thing is i want him to have fun and find what his nitch is and be good at it........

ring worm??? weight classes ect.. yikes........thanks for all the info.... at least i have a head start here planning on what im gonna be dealing with........hes about 105 lbs now but tall around 5'6'' and looks pretty skinny, but hes very fast with his movements hes been praticing that the coach gave them  for the tryouts......or at least i think he is anyhow lol...youve been at it for a very long time i see... and if he makes the team and as things progress im sure ill have tons of questions to ask......i appreciate the help here.....good luck with your future matches......(that is what they call them right? or is that a tv thing too???) the main thing is i want him to have fun and find what his nitch is and be good at it........

Yeah it's matches. It really isn't many worries for younger wrestling. Some of my friends younger siblings wrestle, I'm talking ten years old and younger. I can't see his team making any cuts. As I said my junior high had over 100 kids on the team. If they came out, they made it. Just let him know it's all about fun now. Good luck.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Yeah it's matches. It really isn't many worries for younger wrestling. Some of my friends younger siblings wrestle, I'm talking ten years old and younger. I can't see his team making any cuts. As I said my junior high had over 100 kids on the team. If they came out, they made it. Just let him know it's all about fun now. Good luck.

thanks again for all the info.....i appreciate it......

ring worm??? weight classes ect.. yikes........thanks for all the info.... at least i have a head start here planning on what im gonna be dealing with........hes about 105 lbs now but tall around 5'6'' and looks pretty skinny, but hes very fast with his movements hes been praticing that the coach gave them  for the tryouts......or at least i think he is anyhow lol...youve been at it for a very long time i see... and if he makes the team and as things progress im sure ill have tons of questions to ask......i appreciate the help here.....good luck with your future matches......(that is what they call them right? or is that a tv thing too???) the main thing is i want him to have fun and find what his nitch is and be good at it........

Oh yeah, if ya didn't know, wrestlers are infamous for being 'dirty.' It is a stereotype because I am certainly cleaner than anyone who is not a wrestler. Wrestlers can get ring worm, impetigo, shingles, herpes, falicalitus (sp?), and scabbies. This is more towards older wrestlers and wrestlers who don't shower. Ring worm is oddly enough just as in common for cheerleaders. They cheer and tumble on those mats which are never cleaned. Another myth is about the ears. The califlower ears. I have wrestled for as long as I can remember, and my ears are not overly hard and don't show any califlower. I have never had them drained either. It is only the kids who constantly play with their ears 24/7. It's also only in high school and up.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Oh yeah, if ya didn't know, wrestlers are infamous for being 'dirty.'  It is a stereotype because I am certainly cleaner than anyone who is not a wrestler. Wrestlers can get ring worm, impetigo, shingles, herpes, falicalitus (sp?), and scabbies. This is more towards older wrestlers and wrestlers who don't shower.  Ring worm is oddly enough just as in common for cheerleaders. They cheer and tumble on those mats which are never cleaned. Another myth is about the ears. The califlower ears. I have wrestled for as long as I can remember, and my ears are not overly hard and don't show any califlower. I have never had them drained either. It is only the kids who constantly play with their ears 24/7. It's also only in high school and up.

:o :o :o :o ......me is starting to think this not such a good idea.......yikes thats alot of stuff to deal with.....i know hes very clean but never thought about the mats and other kids... ewww.. life was so much easier worrying about gettin hit by a pitch in the eye instead..... ;) ........oh boy we are gonna have to sit down and have a serious talk about this one.......thank you again for the info.....and yes i have noticed you like talking about it.. and its much appreciated......

:o  :o  :o  :o ......me is starting to think this not such a good idea.......yikes thats alot of stuff to deal with.....i know hes very clean but never thought about the mats and other kids... ewww.. life was so much easier worrying about gettin hit by a pitch in the eye instead..... ;) ........oh boy we are gonna have to sit down and have a serious talk about this one.......thank you again for the info.....and yes i have noticed you like talking about it.. and its much appreciated......

Don't look at it that way though. Wrestling is the greatest thing in the world. It helps you think along with the sports part. My parents thought the same thing, but after a while they fell in love too. Wrestling creates alot of opportunities aswell.

I wrestle and it really depends on the program but practice can be pretty strenuous.

Where ya wrestle?

last year eisenhower junior high school in darien. Most likely this year downers grove shouth

Ya know Rusty Koenig and Kit Kopach. I wrestled Kit when I was in 7th grade, lost 14-12, and Rusty in the wrestlebacks at state my 8th grade year, he got 4th, I got 6th. That's a good program there.

Where ya wrestle?

last year eisenhower junior high school in darien. Most likely this year downers grove shouth

Ya know Rusty Koenig and Kit Kopach. I wrestled Kit when I was in 7th grade, lost 14-12, and Rusty in the wrestlebacks at state my 8th grade year, he got 4th, I got 6th. That's a good program there.

yes i do, rusty got 2nd in state, kitt is older bother of Carter and Kyler who I know very well from being on their team last year. Theyre studs.

Do you ever get any ideas of whacking guys over the head with chairs ;)

Where ya wrestle?

yes i do, rusty got 2nd in state, kitt is older bother of Carter and Kyler who I know very well from being on their team last year. Theyre studs.

Yeah I forgot about the little Kopachs. They are studs. Ya guys ever see Cooper Middle School other than at state. We were in your sectional my 7th grade year.

Where ya wrestle?

Yeah I forgot about the little Kopachs. They are studs. Ya guys ever see Cooper Middle School other than at state. We were in your sectional my 7th grade year.

actully for some reason ive never heard of your school, it cant be too far away can it?

Guest hotsoxchick1
Don't look at it that way though. Wrestling is the greatest thing in the world. It helps you think along with the sports part. My parents thought the same thing, but after a while they fell in love too. Wrestling creates alot of opportunities aswell.

i try to keep an open mind on anything they want to try out for or do.... i had him sit down and read what you put up here and he still wants to try out (even after the little sigh of ewww gross mom i heard under his breath lol)... if its what he wants to do ill support him ... thats my job......ill just make sure he is in the shower immediately afterwords.... ;) thanks agian....

actully for some reason ive never heard of your school, it cant be too far away can it?

No, it's not that close. We had to travel awhile for that tourny. They always send a decently strong team down state, normally a placer or two. Our most famous wrestler from there is Lindsay Durlacher, state champ in junior high and high school (103 for Buffalo Grove HS) then All-American for Illinois. He wrestled for NY Athletic Club and is competing to go to next Olympics. He wrestles in that Real Pro Wrestling crap too.

No, it's not that close. We had to travel awhile for that tourny. They always send a decently strong team down state, normally a placer or two. Our most famous wrestler from there is Lindsay Durlacher, state champ in junior high and high school (103 for Buffalo Grove HS) then All-American for Illinois. He wrestled for NY Athletic Club and is competing to go to next Olympics. He wrestles in that Real Pro Wrestling crap too.

Rusty wrestled for the Team IL vs. Team Iowa meet, not sure how he did though

By Real Pro Wrestling, are you referring to something like WWF?

Got a quick question, do wrestlers ever compete in things like ultimate fighting? By wrestlers, I mean people with wrestling as their specialty, like some guys have JuDiztu or however you spell it.

Rusty wrestled for the Team IL vs. Team Iowa meet, not sure how he did though

He went to same trainer I did. I know he's going to Eastern. I am not sure if he went to Fargo this summer. Fargo is the biggest national tournament, the Asics Vaughan National Freestyle and Greco-Roman Championships. I know he didn't wrestle greco. He may have wrestled freestyle, I decided only to go greco. I know what your talking about him wrestling in, the top senior at each weight in state. What weight was he again. I am thinking 160 for some reason and I am too lazy to go look.

By Real Pro Wrestling, are you referring to something like WWF?

Got a quick question, do wrestlers ever compete in things like ultimate fighting?  By wrestlers, I mean people with wrestling as their specialty, like some guys have JuDiztu or however you spell it.

No, like ameteur wrestling, College wrestling..

also ultamate fighting is the coolest f***ing thing ever, some wrestlers have done it