Kyle Seager

Since the Mariners are looking to rebuild and cut salaries, their next obvious move is to trade Kyle Seager, who is owed 57.5MM over the next 3 seasons. He didn't have a good season at all last year, but I'm wondering if the Sox should look into this if the Mariners are willing to include Mitch Haniger with him, like they did with Diaz in the Cano deal.

For shits and giggles, let's say the Sox acquired those 2 and then signed Harper. Here is what the lineup could look like next year.

Haniger CF

Moncada 2B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B

Palka DH

Eloy LF

Seager 3B 

Anderson SS

Castillo C

Thoughts?

Beat me to the punch, was thinking about a thread on him. I am a BIG proponent of getting somebody at 3b. We never seem to be able to fill the spot. So in short, yes. I'd love Seager. I'll pencil his .250 BA and .315 obp into the lineup and 20hrs and whatever else comes along with it. I just want to plug that hole.

The mariners GM is like a fantasy baseball/MLB the Show type of GM..... he's trade crazy. He loves pulling the trigger. Let's get creative! Wish we had a need for Segura too. Or maybe even Dee Gordon. (although he has a little juan pierre feel to him and no room for him). Basically I'd love to keep talking to the mariners and find something to matchup on .

18 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Since the Mariners are looking to rebuild and cut salaries, their next obvious move is to trade Kyle Seager, who is owed 57.5MM over the next 3 seasons. He didn't have a good season at all last year, but I'm wondering if the Sox should look into this if the Mariners are willing to include Mitch Haniger with him, like they did with Diaz in the Cano deal.

For shits and giggles, let's say the Sox acquired those 2 and then signed Harper. Here is what the lineup could look like next year.

Haniger CF

Moncada 2B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B

Palka DH

Eloy LF

Seager 3B 

Anderson SS

Castillo C

Thoughts?

They'd have to pay more than what the Mets did for Cano and Diaz. Personally don't see Haniger moved with him.

Seager as a straight salary dump I could see.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Beat me to the punch, was thinking about a thread on him. I am a BIG proponent of getting somebody at 3b. We never seem to be able to fill the spot. So in short, yes. I'd love Seager. I'll pencil his .250 BA and .315 obp into the lineup and 20hrs and whatever else comes along with it. I just want to plug that hole.

The mariners GM is like a fantasy baseball/MLB the Show type of GM..... he's trade crazy. He loves pulling the trigger. Let's get creative! Wish we had a need for Segura too. Or maybe even Dee Gordon. (although he has a little juan pierre feel to him and no room for him). Basically I'd love to keep talking to the mariners and find something to matchup on .

Haniger would be a great get. His inclusion would make taking on Seager's contract well worth it. The only issue is what the Sox would have to give up. The Mariners would probably want at least one good prospect in order to part with Haniger. I wonder if a deal with Basabe/Rutherford as the headliner with a secondary piece like Jordan Stephens or Fulmer would get it done.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Haniger would be a great get. His inclusion would make taking on Seager's contract well worth it. The only issue is what the Sox would have to give up. The Mariners would probably want at least one good prospect in order to part with Haniger. I wonder if a deal with Basabe/Rutherford as the headliner with a secondary piece like Jordan Stephens or Fulmer would get it done.

Definitely more than one good prospect. That Seager deal is no where near as bad as the Cano deal.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Definitely more than one good prospect. That Seager deal is no where near as bad as the Cano deal.

Haniger is a stud and controllable for 4 more years. The Sox could plug him into CF for the foreseeable future. Like you said, it might take more than one prospect to get him but taking on Seager's contract would probably lessen what the Sox would have to give up. It's an intriguing possibility as a combo deal.

Someone said Seager's team option turns into a player option if he is traded, so we should really count that $15mil as part of the salary because if he continues to struggle he would probably take it. If that is the case, then taking all of his salary would be about as much as Cano because the Mets sent contracts back and got money. So you could be looking at a deal very similar to the Cano deal if you want to build that from our prospects. 

Haniger is going to be in roughly the same territory as Christian Yelich in terms of trade value, maybe a notch or two below, but he's going to cost two of our better prospects not named Jimenez...and Jimenez would be the first ask because he would essentially be replacing Nelson Cruz and dirt cheap.

Robert and Cease, Cease and Madrigal (local tie-in from Oregon State days)...that's a TON of potential to give up.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty incredible for Segura's worth to have accelerated to a Top 10-15 prospect in all of baseball when he could have been claimed by any MLB team about 3 years ago.

JP Crawford hasn't been a top 15 prospect in 2 years.  I think he was ranked around 70 or so at the beginning of the 2018 season.  

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Haniger is going to be in roughly the same territory as Christian Yelich in terms of trade value, maybe a notch or two below, but he's going to cost two of our better prospects not named Jimenez...and Jimenez would be the first ask because he would essentially be replacing Nelson Cruz and dirt cheap.

Robert and Cease, Cease and Madrigal (local tie-in from Oregon State days)...that's a TON of potential to give up.

If you're taking on Seagers contract, you're giving up one of Robert/Cease/Madrigal, not two of them.  It would be one of those three + a guy like Spencer Adams to finish out the package. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty incredible for Segura's worth to have accelerated to a Top 10-15 prospect in all of baseball when he could have been claimed by any MLB team about 3 years ago.

JP Crawford hasn't been a top 15 prospect in baseball for some time now.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Mitch Haniger is 28. Yelich was 25.

Haniger had 1 all-star worthy (4+ fWAR) season. Yelich had 3. 

Haniger is a RHH corner OF. Yelich is a LHH centerfielder.

Haniger has 4 years left of control. Yelich had 5 years left of control. 

The trade values are definitely not similar. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

JP Crawford hasn't been a top 15 prospect in baseball for some time now.

JP Crawford's is likely viewed as Lucas Giolito going in to the 2018 season. A former very very elite prospect (Crawford was #2 ranked by MLB Pipeline) that kind of hit a wall and fell out of favor with his club, but hey....MAYBE he can still turn it around!

35 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Mitch Haniger is 28. Yelich was 25.

Haniger had 1 all-star worthy (4+ fWAR) season. Yelich had 3. 

Haniger is a RHH corner OF. Yelich is a LHH centerfielder.

Haniger has 4 years left of control. Yelich had 5 years left of control. 

The trade values are definitely not similar. 

Well, technically Haniger is still 27, but fine.  He will be 28 before next season.

He has also progressed from 0.3 to 2.5 to 4.6 in terms of his fWAR values, so nobody knows exactly what his real value is, away from Safeco.  As far as I know, he's also been fairly consistent with his defensive performance, despite playing a corner...that still has a lot of value (see Heyward or Alex Gordon).

I'll concede the fact that Yelich averaged a 4.1 over the 4 seasons prior to going over to Milwaukee.

Yelich turned 26 before the 2018 season...so there's really TWO years between them, not the three you quoted.   Subtle difference, but still not unimportant.

Another factor is the Mariners already dumped the Cano contract...and, while they still have the Felix Hernandez and Seager deals on the books, but they don't HAVE TO SELL like the Marlins did when new ownership came in.  There's nothing resembling a fire-sale at this point, because they've already dealt Paxton/Diaz as well, but they have to balance that retooling with the fact that they have to put a decent team out on the field unless they're going to totally rebuild (which that market might not tolerate, since it has been 17 years since their last playoff appearance, the longest streak in baseball.)