Herm Schneider to become Head Athletic Trainer Emeritus

Sleepy Harold

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I think ShotFire is trolling.  Nobody could possibly think that; Herm is universally loved by everybody and has maybe the greatest track record of any trainer in the history of athletic activity. 

No, he really believes it. We've had discussions in the past about it.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Didn't he have a direct hand in saving the life of two players, Greg Walker and Danny Farqhar.  

I wouldn't go there. The Greg walker incident is actually one of his biggest blunders. But he was really young then.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I have a hard time correlating injuries and the performance of a trainer, especially considering a lot of injuries are freak accidents. Now, I think you can correlate recovery with trainers, as trainers play an active role in how a player rehabs. 

This is really more correct. The athletic trainers are involved but the strength and conditioning is as well for the number of players that get injured. For the athletic trainers in isolation, it would be how long they were on the DL.

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is really more correct. The athletic trainers are involved but the strength and conditioning is as well for the number of players that get injured. For the athletic trainers in isolation, it would be how long they were on the DL.

The trainers can't stop young pitchers from trying to throw too hard and people don't like when Coop tells them to rely on other pitches. Some players may get injured because they are too muscle-bound. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

The trainers can't stop young pitchers from trying to throw too hard and people don't like when Coop tells them to rely on other pitches. Some players may get injured because they are too muscle-bound. 

The too muscle bound really doesn't apply. As long as you maintain the flexibility and strengthen the appropriate muscle groups it's fine. 

The throwing too hard too often is an unfortunate situation in baseball today. 

When Herm Schneider first stepped foot in the White Sox dugout in 1979, Jane Byrne had just been elected mayor of Chicago, and the manager of the Sox was a player-manager - Don Kessinger.  Later that year Kessinger would give way to a rookie manager the Sox brought up from their minor leagues, a guy by the name of Tony LaRussa.  That's how far back this guy's tenure with the team goes!

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This does cause some concern for me:

He's now the White Sox senior medical advisor. I hope the Sox did their due diligence on him. 

This practice is common in all professional sports. The PT/AT just isn't allowed to do the injections legally. However, in baseball especially sometimes the physician can't always get there before games and liberties are taken.