Goldschmidt to Cards / Weaver-Kelly-Young to Dbacks

Sleepy Harold

8 minutes ago, beautox said:

seems steep for one year of Goldschmidt. When you factor in Kelly was recently rated #55, weaver's value and youngs and a top 100 pick roughly worth 2.2fWAR @ roughly 9 million it seems about right if you think Goldschmidt + the pick he will likely receive for not taking the QO is about 35ish million in surplus value.

Kelly, Weaver, Young and Mr 2.2fWAR Pick wasn't going to help the Cards compete this season.

5 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Kelly, Weaver, Young and Mr 2.2fWAR Pick wasn't going to help the Cards compete this season.

I don't disagree; in a vacuum its an overpay by 8-10M. Considering the cards can move Carpenter back to 3B and have moved up their pick if Goldy walks and get a year to evaluate and offer an extension its fine, but its still an overpay, they need to compete with the cubs and brewers and it makes sense they've got a back log of catching and pitching with reyes coming back young is likely a utility guy and a mid late draft pick for '19 does nothing for them this season, so i get it. 

41 minutes ago, beautox said:

I don't disagree; in a vacuum its an overpay by 8-10M. Considering the cards can move Carpenter back to 3B and have moved up their pick if Goldy walks and get a year to evaluate and offer an extension its fine, but its still an overpay, they need to compete with the cubs and brewers and it makes sense they've got a back log of catching and pitching with reyes coming back young is likely a utility guy and a mid late draft pick for '19 does nothing for them this season, so i get it. 

I don't buy it's an overpay.  I'm not one to put a salary number on a player that doesn't exist.