Winter Meetings Predictions

Chicago White Sox

With the Winter Meetings literally around the corner and the rumor machine in full hype mode, I wanted to create a thread for us to place our bets on what we think Hahn gets done over the course of the event.

My predictions are listed below:

• FA - Harper - 10/$400M
  • FA - Keuchel - 4/$85M
  • FA - Allen - 1/$10M
  • FA - Maldonado - 1/$5M

Alright, I admit the above looks pretty ridiculous (that is exactly a half billion in spending), but I’ve got this weird vibe that if we land Harper, then Keuchel may be coming with him.  We know Hahn wants to add starting pitching and keeps referencing “long term” solutions.  And what I find interesting is he’s the only big name arm we were never connected to this offseason.  Again, it definitely seems crazy, but I could see something like this happening if Harper were in the fold. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I just wouldn't be excited about Keuchel.

I’ll be honest, Keuchel would definitely scare me, but I truly believe the Sox want to add a veteran starter who can stabilize the rotation over the next few years and for whatever I feel like he may be the guy if they land Harper.

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, Keuchel would definitely scare me, but I truly believe the Sox want to add a veteran starter who can stabilize the rotation over the next few years and for whatever I feel like he may be the guy if they land Harper.

No matter how we slice it the Sox are going to add a starting pitcher or 2 and good ones don't come cheap .So the only thing we might be able to figure is a bounce back guy like Pomeranz and a mid rotation type who is older, had recent arm problem or uneven results like Miley, Harvey, Lynn ,Gio, Shoemaker, Santana ,Morton etc.

We will lose a draft pick for signing Harper so I don't think we go after Keuchel, Grandal, and Pollock for that reason.

I don't think Kikuchi is am option either based on the posting fee whatever it ends up being and his arm problems and the unknown factor of facing MLB hitters.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
added Santana

My prediction is that the White Sox will sign Bryce Harper if we have the highest offer. 

At this point I think there are 5 teams he could sign with: White Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, or Phillies.

I dont see the Cubs signing him unless they shred a considerable amount of payroll. 

I think the Yankees have a shot, but their offer wont be higher than 8 years.

Dodgers seem to be the wild card because they have proven that they have no problems spending an incredible amount of money, even if they already have huge contracts on the books. 

I dont think he goes to Philly unless they offer a HUGE contract that other teams cant touch. If the going rate seems to be around 10-year, $400 million, and the Phillies just blow everyone out of the water with something like 10-year, $450 million, then I could see it. But unless the Phillies offer is just sky-high above everyone else, I dont think he goes to Philly. 

Just look at all the other teams that he is potentially interested in. They are in very tough divisions. The AL Central was probably the weakest division last year. Adding Harper to the White Sox could give us a path to the playoffs and a World Series every single year.

The White Sox can offer so much. Hitters ballpark, endorsements that will come from being in Chicago, up and coming young team, weak division that sets the Sox up for a potential decade of dominance. So if all the other teams seem to be set at something like 10-year, $375 million, and the White Sox go 10-year, $400 million, I think there is a more than realistic chance we see Harper on the South Side.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

Let’s have some fun with this:

Harper $370 million 10 years with opt outs

Machado $300 million 10 years with opt outs

Abreu traded to Dodgers for Joc Pederson

Honestly, this is the best plan over anything else. Get two top players in baseball who will be great for awhile, mix them in with the youth and let it roll. They have the cap space. Then they can let everything else sort out in a few years in terms of who should be paid.

I think cost controlled players would be coming back only. 

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With the Winter Meetings literally around the corner and the rumor machine in full hype mode, I wanted to create a thread for us to place our bets on what we think Hahn gets done over the course of the event.

My predictions are listed below:

• FA - Harper - 10/$400M
  • FA - Keuchel - 4/$85M
  • FA - Allen - 1/$10M
  • FA - Maldonado - 1/$5M

Alright, I admit the above looks pretty ridiculous (that is exactly a half billion in spending), but I’ve got this weird vibe that if we land Harper, then Keuchel may be coming with him.  We know Hahn wants to add starting pitching and keeps referencing “long term” solutions.  And what I find interesting is he’s the only big name arm we were never connected to this offseason.  Again, it definitely seems crazy, but I could see something like this happening if Harper were in the fold. 

This would be my dream scenario. I’m very high on Keuchel, simply as a control/spin guy he should age better than a flamethrower who loses MPH. Side note, I love the beard also. 

I don’t think Familia is getting anything near 4/$60. 

I do think the Sox ultimately do what is necessary to get one if Harper or Machado if it all possible. It remains to be seen if it’s actually possible. But I doubt that happens before Christmas. 

Id like to see the Sox add some pitching one short term deals. 

Sign Pomeranz 1 year $6.5M + option

Sign Tyson Ross 1 year $5M + option

Trade Jordan Stephens and Yolmer Sanchez for Sonny Gray 

Sign Stephen Vogt 1 year $2M 

Sign AJ Pollock 4 years $68M

Get one of Harper/Machado a few weeks later for an effective 5 year $225M deal assuming they take opt out after 5.

1 hour ago, whitesoxwinner said:

No, there was no evidence that he physically assaulted his wife. His wife called 911 because he was "drunk and going crazy". Maybe not much better haha

Yes she called the police, but ultimately the scratches on her chest were from her 1 year old and the marks on her face were due to the way she was sleeping. Hard pass even if he was for the minimum. 

I think the Sox will sign a starting pitcher, but I can't say which one.

I also think they will sign Marwin to play multiple positions.

I think they might trade for a C, but not Realmuto. If they whiff on Harper and Machado (and I think they will) they will go hard after Grandal, so that might happen instead.

Finally, I think they will add a solid bullpen guy, but not a back-end of the pen guy.

7 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

3.17 ERA, 1.155 WHIP if you take him out of Yankee Stadium

Even if I bought a Yankee stadium excuse (which I don't ) that's still a bad trade.

Stephens is one of our better pitching prospects (I know the cw is that this org is replete with pitching, but it isn't).  Yolmer is a very viable utility player.
Sox are in no position to trade any talent for 1 year players.  

Edited by GreenSox

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Even if I bought a Yankee stadium excuse (which I don't ) that's still a bad trade.

Stephens is one of our better pitching prospects (I know the cw is that this org is replete with pitching, but it isn't).  Yolmer is a very viable utility player.
Sox are in no position to trade any talent for 1 year players.  

Wasn't Stephens just left unprotected in the rule 5 draft and then undrafted during it?