News and Notes

aboz56

- Reports that the Yankees will seek to sign Luis Castillo and shift Alfonso Soriano to CF and Bernie Williams to DH or a corner outfield spot.

- Reports the Braves will not make an offer to Javy Lopez and will most likely let Greg Maddux and Gary Sheffield walk.

- Reports the A's will not make an offer to Keith Foulke, citing that the team does not have the money to afford him.

- Reports that if Frank Thomas opts out of his $6 million option and tests free agency, the Sox will not bring him back at the $8 million team option.

- Reports that the Yankees will seek to sign Luis Castillo and shift Alfonso Soriano to CF and Bernie Williams to DH or a corner outfield spot.

- Reports the Braves will not make an offer to Javy Lopez and will most likely let Greg Maddux and Gary Sheffield walk.

- Reports the A's will not make an offer to Keith Foulke, citing that the team does not have the money to afford him.

- Reports that if Frank Thomas opts out of his $6 million option and tests free agency, the Sox will not bring him back at the $8 million team option.

There goes the pipe dream of having an infield of Castillo and Cabrera. Alomar and another free agent shortstop will do just fine in my eyes.

CWSOX45

I'd say the reason the Yanks want Castillo is that he's a true leadoff hitter and they believe that Soriano can be more productive farther down in the lineup.

A lot of Sox fans (me included) were interested in Luis, but there is no way we will put up a fight if the Yankees are after him.

The Marlins new owner appears to be in it to win it. What makes you think Castillo will leave? I think they will trade Lowell but resign Castillo. Free Agency is unpredictable currently, this will help us with Colon and may hurt guys next year like Wood as he is a free asgent after next season. Watch for the cubs to make a run a Maddux or Millwood in the offseason.

The Marlins new owner appears to be in it to win it.  What makes you think Castillo will leave?  I think they will trade Lowell but resign Castillo.  Free Agency is unpredictable currently, this will help us with Colon and may hurt guys next year like Wood as he is a free asgent after next season.  Watch for the cubs to make a run a Maddux or Millwood in the offseason.

Maddux to San Diego, Arizona or Los Angeles.

Millwood back to the Braves.

You heard it here first. ;)

Cubs can make a run for Maddux, but I bet he will run away.

What if we go for Maddux if we lose Colon? I would bet that JR and KW would be willing to add on to the number they offered Colon if that was a possiblity.

Gee, wonder who the Yankees are looking for to put in the outfield. I bet they place Bernie in the DH and run to Maggs.

Cubs can make a run for Maddux, but I bet he will run away.

What if we go for Maddux if we lose Colon? I would bet that JR and KW would be willing to add on to the number they offered Colon if that was a possiblity.

Gee, wonder who the Yankees are looking for to put in the outfield. I bet they place Bernie in the DH and run to Maggs.

Or they go after Guerrero since he is a free agent.

If the Yanks sign Luis Castillo...all I can say is :fyou

Maddux isn't worth the amount they offered Colon.  I don't see him as a bad pickup if its at an affordable rate short term.  He can do a lot ot help a staff just by letting the youngsters and other pitchers watch his preperation.

I agree. No way is Maddux worth Colon type money these days. I'd love to see him get number 300 in a Sox uniform at Wrigley, though.

No problem, I am a HORRIBLE gambler!!!  :D

I just think that Maddux has proven himself to be one of the best ever, and I would trust him to still be good down the road, whereas Colon I never feel 100% confident with. :huh:

I don't disagree with you on the Maddux part. I happen to disagree with the JR and KW using the money for Colon on another quality starter like Maddux when Colon goes elsewhere part ;) .

If the Yankees sign Castillo and move Soriano to the outfield, than that means they probably won't go after Guerrero or another power hitting outfielder(Maggs, Sheffield, ect.). They would have an outfield of Soriano, Bernie, and Matsui with Johnson and Giambi playing 1B and DH(I would love to see the Sox get their hands on Johnson). There is no room for Guerrero or another outfielder unless they move someone(I am sure that they would love to move Bernie). That is interesting that the Yankees would go after Castillo, because all of the talk has be centered around Guerrero being their top proirity. I think Castillo might be a better fit, because as someone else pointed out, he would be a much better leadoff hitter then Soriano. I question Soriano's ability to play the outfield though. He is a great athlete, but has never played their before. I would say it is far from a guarantee that Castillo will sign with the Yankees, so don't get those slim hopes completely down.

Stay away from Maddux. Besides the fact that he is a big name he doesn't have much left(at 37), and is certainly not worth the money that some team is going to overpay him. I think that new device that is watch the umps has really affected him now that he isn't getting the pitch 6 inches of the plate. If you think Maddux at this point in his career would be a better signing then Colon, than you deserve to be beaten over the head with a hammer for being stupid.