Fernando Tatis Jr. trade burns more than the loss in the Machado sweeps

VAfan

2 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

There was a story in the local paper here in Atlanta about how the local teams play games with the attendance numbers.  The announced attendance for games at Mercedes Benz Stadium was not people in the seats nor tickets sold but TICKETS DISTRIBUTED.  So tickets given away, whether they are used or not, are counted as part of the attendance.

The Sox might need to do that this year.

Ha!  That's a great idea.  Though with the Sox, well, they might not be able to give them away.  

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Glad you bumped this thread - I was looking for it the other day to see the response to this trade from many people in the.... HOW DO YOU TRADE TATIS CAMP after Tatis became something no one expected. Most everyone - with the exception of 3-4 posters, said giving up Tatis was no big deal. As I expected. Hindsight makes every fan a genius and great GM.

Here's why a guy like Tatis should give the Sox hope, instead of doom. It shows that international prospect rankings for young guys are mostly bunk. There's more variance in their reliability than even regular college rankings which aren't reliable either. It shows the Sox can hit in that market without signing the best guy in the rankings. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The Tatis trade will forever go down as one of Hahn's worst. Shields was a complete bum at the time. It is the epitome of the White Sox flawed approach post 2005. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Here's why a guy like Tatis should give the Sox hope, instead of doom. It shows that international prospect rankings for young guys are mostly bunk. There's more variance in their reliability than even regular college rankings which aren't reliable either. It shows the Sox can hit in that market without signing the best guy in the rankings. 

That's also a great argument for why having several million in international money uncommitted at this point is a terrible idea and a pathetic move for the FO. Because if you have $5 million to spend and you've had 2 years to plan for it, you should have 5-10 players queued up to spend that money on. You've had all the time in the world. You don't have to land the top guy, you can spread the money around, but the absolute worst possible thing you could ever do, by far the stupidest thing you could do, is have the money sitting there uncommitted, maybe possibly waiting for a guy who will probably sign with the Orioles first, acting like it isn't a big deal if you don't spend the money. (BTW it's equally dumb for the Orioles to have their funds sitting there uncommitted this year).

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

There was a story in the local paper here in Atlanta about how the local teams play games with the attendance numbers.  The announced attendance for games at Mercedes Benz Stadium was not people in the seats nor tickets sold but TICKETS DISTRIBUTED.  So tickets given away, whether they are used or not, are counted as part of the attendance.

The Sox might need to do that this year.

Pretty sure for MLB it is tickets sold, and not given away.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hate seeing this dudes name every damn time I log into Soxtalk.  Its time to move on. 

Especially since he hasn't done anything in the majors yet. Based on this board, if he ever becomes an all-star some of our posters will implode. 

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Especially since he hasn't done anything in the majors yet. Based on this board, if he ever becomes an all-star some of our posters will implode. 

Other than drafting him in 2 fantasy leagues in the past 36 hours, I've never wanted someone to fail more.  Mainly so I can stop seeing his fucking name mentioned 976 times per day on here.  

Edited by ChiSox59

50 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

A history of the tatis trade

https://theathletic.com/884960/2019/03/25/everybody-was-surprised-but-here-we-are-an-oral-history-of-how-the-padres-acquired-fernando-tatis-jr/

Basically it was preller was watching him for years and was higher than about anyone else on him.

Yeah preller liked him so much he didnt sign him for a little over a million 12 months earlier despite having pool space. Preller is an asshat and FOS.

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That's also a great argument for why having several million in international money uncommitted at this point is a terrible idea and a pathetic move for the FO. Because if you have $5 million to spend and you've had 2 years to plan for it, you should have 5-10 players queued up to spend that money on. You've had all the time in the world. You don't have to land the top guy, you can spread the money around, but the absolute worst possible thing you could ever do, by far the stupidest thing you could do, is have the money sitting there uncommitted, maybe possibly waiting for a guy who will probably sign with the Orioles first, acting like it isn't a big deal if you don't spend the money. (BTW it's equally dumb for the Orioles to have their funds sitting there uncommitted this year).

I one hundred percent agree. We will end up trading that space for some bum 4A guy like we do every year just watch. Instead we should have been moving guys for INTL Money and being extremely active in IFA.

It's a joke that at the bottom of our prospects lists we consistently don't have one exciting young under 20 prospect year after year after year. Take a look at our prospect list on MLB.com. Then take a look at SD. We don't have the kind of depth and high upside talent that is going to create a separate wave after Robert and Cease. That is why the injuries to kopech dunning and the rest of them are so devastating.

• Thanks 2

I had a bit of a come to Jesus moment while watching MLB network pick ELoy  and Tatis as Rookie of the year.  If they both live up to expectations it will hurt losing Tatis but if Cease and Eloy make lasting impacts it really hurts the cubs so I can live with that trade off as assine irrational and stupid as it may seem....I guess I found a potential silver lining.

22 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Most everyone - with the exception of 3-4 posters, said giving up Tatis was no big deal. As I expected. Hindsight makes every fan a genius and great GM.

To say "message board posters didn't know either".....  Good gracious, is that the standard of  a major league GM?  Evaluate talent no worse than a message board poster?

Hahn's list of compete mis-evalutations of talent is long, and goes far beyond Shields and Tatis.  His severe limitations as GM are a  major anchor on this organization.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Youngest player to start opening day in 20 years apparently. 

Pretty crazy. If Tatis becomes the player people think, Hahn will be forever remembered as the GM who traded him for a washed up James Shields

24 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Pretty crazy. If Tatis becomes the player people think, Hahn will be forever remembered as the GM who traded him for a washed up James Shields

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if SoxTalk almost willed it into being by accident

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

To say "message board posters didn't know either".....  Good gracious, is that the standard of  a major league GM?  Evaluate talent no worse than a message board poster?

Hahn's list of compete mis-evalutations of talent is long, and goes far beyond Shields and Tatis.  His severe limitations as GM are a  major anchor on this organization.

Also, if we should be happy that the Sox can hit in the international market with a guy like Tatis Jr., shouldn’t we be equally upset with the Sox talent evaluators that had no problem trading him away for a broken-down starting pitcher?  Obviously they didn’t recognize Tatis Jr.’s true talent and thought a washed-up Shields was worth acquiring for him.  That’s two awful evaluations in one trade.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Also, if we should be happy that the Sox can hit in the international market with a guy like Tatis Jr., shouldn’t we be equally upset with the Sox talent evaluators that had no problem trading him away for a broken-down starting pitcher?  Obviously they didn’t recognize Tatis Jr.’s true talent and thought a washed-up Shields was worth acquiring for him.  That’s two awful evaluations in one trade.

Zzzzzzzzzz 

Based on this forums absurd views with tatis - the Astros are a shit organization for letting JD Martinez go for nothing. 

Sometimes, in baseball, the unexpected happens to a player. A GM's job is to evaluate players based on their most likely outcomes. I'm so tired of reading tatis nonsense on this forum. I hope the people who feel the need to continually update people on this get over it. 

I've already pointed out that since they started ranking international prospects, tatis is the first one ranked 30th to even make the big leagues. Shit happens. Move on. I dont sign into soxtalk to hear Padres updates. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Zzzzzzzzzz 

Based on this forums absurd views with tatis - the Astros are a shit organization for letting JD Martinez go for nothing. 

Sometimes, in baseball, the unexpected happens to a player. A GM's job is to evaluate players based on their most likely outcomes. I'm so tired of reading tatis nonsense on this forum. I hope the people who feel the need to continually update people on this get over it. 

I've already pointed out that since they started ranking international prospects, tatis is the first one ranked 30th to even make the big leagues. Shit happens. Move on. I dont sign into soxtalk to hear Padres updates. Enough is enough.

Don’t enter the thread then.  It seems like you just don’t want to be reminded of an awful trade by Hahn.  It’s okay to accept it and call it what it is.

• Thanks 1

• Tony locked this topic