Marwin Gonzalez Signs with the Twins - 2 yr/21 mil

Whisox05

5 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I'm pretty sure you could plug Delmonico in anywhere on the diamond. That doesn't mean he'd be any good at any of it.

???

I really wish sox fans graded their own players as skeptically as anyone not on the team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I am not convinced that the next 2 years of Marwin Gonzalez are going to be better than the next 2 years of Jose Rondon.  And not because I think Rondon is all that good.

I'm 99% certain Marwin would be a better everyday OF than Palkmonico. Don't think you could say the same of Rondon.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm 99% certain Marwin would be a better everyday OF than Palkmonico. Don't think you could say the same of Rondon.

I hope they try to turn Rondon into a utilityman.  We know he can cover the IF spots, but he was supposed to play OF in winterball and played very little.  I know Renteria mentioned it again that they're going to give him some reps in the OF in ST...hopefully it works out.  

15 minutes ago, mqr said:

You and I just disagree on Marwin.  I think he’s had his one good fluke year.  Maybe I’m wrong.  But I think the Astros agree with me.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope they try to turn Rondon into a utilityman.  We know he can cover the IF spots, but he was supposed to play OF in winterball and played very little.  I know Renteria mentioned it again that they're going to give him some reps in the OF in ST...hopefully it works out.  

That last thought perfectly encapsulates typical White Sox organizational strategy...Teahen at second or in the outfield?  Josh Fields in LF?  Viciedo In LF and RF and 3B and 1B and DH?   It just MIGHT work.  Or it might not.  Well, we tried...so at least we’re “outside the box” thinkers.  No, you’re just terrible at identifying and developing talent. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That last thought perfectly encapsulates typical White Sox organizational strategy...Teahen at second or in the outfield?  Josh Fields in LF?  Viciedo In LF and RF and 3B and 1B and DH?   It just MIGHT work.  Or it might not.  Well, we tried...so at least we’re “outside the box” thinkers.  No, you’re just terrible at identifying and developing talent. 

Sure, but adding flexibility to a young guy that’s at least a little interesting and out of options isn’t a bad idea. 

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

2/$21M is a steal.  But Marwin really isn't that good.  Outside of his awesome 2017, he's a pretty meh player.  Valueable in that you can plug him in anwyhere other that CF and C, but his 2018 line of .247/.324/.409 was his 2nd best season in the bigs. 

Marwin: 104 wRC+, plays 7 positions, $10.5M

Alonso: 97 wRC+, plays 1 position, $8M

?

• Thanks 1