Sale and Red Sox nearing extension

soxfan49

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s not even hitting 90 with his fastball in the first inning

I was just coming here to post that. Something is wrong with Sale. I've been watching on the Sawx feed on MLB.TV. If the Sawx knew that his velocity was this down in Spring Training I have no idea why they signed him to that contract, other than justification for trading the guys they traded to the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Most of this is behind a pay wall but the free stuff is interesting

https://theathletic.com/903675/2019/04/03/chris-sale-isnt-alarmed-instead-his-second-start-looks-like-the-definition-of-going-out-there-and-just-figuring-it-out/

OAKLAND – It was almost exactly one month ago that Chris Sale sat in front of his spring training locker and inadvertently predicted almost exactly what happened to him on Tuesday night.

“Someone like Nolan Ryan, right,” Sale said. “If he didn’t feel good for a day, the whole world didn’t know it. He just threw at a lower speed…. If that happens to one of us? It’s all over Twitter. It’s all over everywhere. Something’s wrong! Something’s happened! He’s lost it, right? Back then, they’re just grinding. That’s called grinding. That’s the definition of going out there and just figuring it out.”

Chris Sale was grinding on Tuesday.

And, yes, the whole world knew it.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I understand his point but this is different. Sale has had lower velocity to start seasons before but that meant 93-94 not 88-89. His velocity hasn't just dropped it has cratered.

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And the shoulder is the worst possible injury. 

it's a bit strange in that he did have good command despite being at 88-89.  Maybe he's going through the dreaded "dead arm" phase a few weeks later than planned but I'd be scared shitless if I was a Sawx fan.