Question regarding catcher signs

The Grinder

Question is regarding catchers signals, first one is when the catcher is standing up and directing his positional players he then proceeds to tap his shoulder or hips or waist, what is he indicating? 

Next when the manager signals to catcher then the catcher relays the signal to pitcher, why doesnt the pitcher simply get signal directly from the manager himself? is this so the catcher can override possibly what the manager is signaling? Or to confuse the opposing team as to which signal is being used? I know I've heard stories where a coach who is sitting away from the manager is really the one who is giving the signals deeking the team into looking at the manager.

I was a catcher in Sandy Koufax league but obviously never did all this!!

Obviously I'm not certain on the MLB level but when I was playing every direction was through the catcher, that way everyone was looking at the one guy instead of multiple players, coaches, or the manager. 

On 3/31/2019 at 11:26 AM, Texsox said:

Obviously I'm not certain on the MLB level but when I was playing every direction was through the catcher, that way everyone was looking at the one guy instead of multiple players, coaches, or the manager. 

Makes sense, after all hes the QB of the field, so how about when the catcher stands there and taps his shoulders, waist or knees and points to someone? 

A lot of that motion is just BS with one indicator for how they want to cover a bunt or maybe to call a pitchout or pick off. 

When I played low level college, for big ABs,  we had the manager relay to the catcher the pitch call then the defense so if the pitch was a fastball away we'd shift slightly over in the OF after the SS relayed it to the CF.

20 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A lot of that motion is just BS with one indicator for how they want to cover a bunt or maybe to call a pitchout or pick off. 

When I played low level college, for big ABs,  we had the manager relay to the catcher the pitch call then the defense so if the pitch was a fastball away we'd shift slightly over in the OF after the SS relayed it to the CF.

That makes sense as well, doesnt anything get lost in translation? I mean if the infielder (or even outfielders) can see the signals from the manager  whats the use of having catcher do it again? I'm quite sure there good reason!!