Why isn't there a game thread yet? Sox vs Tigers, 1:10 PM

ron883

Can we quit with the trade/flip Abreu stuff? We had one all-star last year: Abreu. In the preseason, MLB.com listed the 100 best players in the Majors; Abreu was the only White Sox player on the list. Can we stop with dumping, arguably, our best player for some prospect we won't see for three years or so. Hopefully, the window to winning starts next year or 2021. Really, we're gonna roll the dice on Collins and dump Abreu? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Can we quit with the trade/flip Abreu stuff? We had one all-star last year: Abreu.

We always have at least 1 All Star.  

I'm fine with hanging onto Abreu as long as he's not blocking Eloy or Collins. I'd keep Collins as a part time C/part time DH. I'd want his bat in the line up everyday. The Sox need some more guys that are going to take walks and see a lot of pitches. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

6 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Can we quit with the trade/flip Abreu stuff? We had one all-star last year: Abreu. In the preseason, MLB.com listed the 100 best players in the Majors; Abreu was the only White Sox player on the list. Can we stop with dumping, arguably, our best player for some prospect we won't see for three years or so. Hopefully, the window to winning starts next year or 2021. Really, we're gonna roll the dice on Collins and dump Abreu? 

He’ll be 33 next year and is expensive.  I don’t think it’s ridiculous to look at replacing him.

2 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Yes. He's going to be 33 next season and he doesn't fit this window. 

13 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

It's not that anyone doubts that Abreu is a good hitter, it's that he's old and about to get even more pricey than he already is

• Love 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

We always have at least 1 All Star.  

I'm fine with hanging onto Abreu as long as he's not blocking Eloy or Collins. I'd keep Collins as a part time C/part time DH. I'd want his bat in the line up everyday. The Sox need some more guys that are going to take walks and see a lot of pitches. 

He's 33.  I wanted to trade him 2 years ago when he had more value.

10 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's 33.  I wanted to trade him 2 years ago when he had more value.

I think there's some intangible elements to Abreu that would be hard to replace, considering all the Latin/Cuban players/prospects we currently have. I also question how much real value he's ever had over the last 2 years. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I think there's some intangible elements to Abreu that would be hard to replace, considering all the Latin/Cuban players/prospects we currently have. I also question how much real value he's ever had over the last 2 years. 

Abreu isn't going anywhere fast. He's here to stay until he retires.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I'm so sick of some Sox fans wanting to dump our veteran players who have been here a while. it's the reason I wanted to keep Avi and give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Avi wasn't blocking anybody. It remains to be seen if this tank/rebuild thing will work. It would be nice to have a veteran around who has been through the dog years like Abreu.  Just cause Eloy seems a natural for DH/1B doesn't mean we should dump Abreu. LF isn't the hardest position. Eloy is very young. He might want to work on his defense so he can play in the field. It must be awful being a big league DH when you are young.

He's one of the few Sox who have been Sox for a while who are worth a darn. I always laugh at comments about how he's about to get "expensive." If Abreu is so nonproductive and it appears he's only going to get worse with age, why the hell would another team want to pay him??? Why is he going to get expensive if his advanced stats project him to be crap in years to come? 

Edited by greg775

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm so sick of some Sox fans wanting to dump our veteran players who have been here a while. it's the reason I wanted to keep Avi and give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Avi wasn't blocking anybody. It remains to be seen if this tank/rebuild thing will work. It would be nice to have a veteran around who has been through the dog years like Abreu.  Just cause Eloy seems a natural for DH/1B doesn't mean we should dump Abreu. LF isn't the hardest position. Eloy is very young. He might want to work on his defense so he can play in the field. It must be awful being a big league DH when you are young.

He's one of the few Sox who have been Sox for a while who are worth a darn. I always laugh at comments about how he's about to get "expensive." If Abreu is so nonproductive and it appears he's only going to get worse with age, why the hell would another team want to pay him??? Why is he going to get expensive if his advanced stats project him to be crap in years to come? 

You were absolutely right about Avi. If the Sox never had serious intentions of pursuing Harper, why didn’t they bring Avi back? It’s not like they had better internal options for RF this season.

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You were absolutely right about Avi. If the Sox never had serious intentions of pursuing Harper, why didn’t they bring Avi back? It’s not like they had better internal options for RF this season.

My fave Avi must be slumping of late. He's down to .250; 10 RBI, four homers. Like I said, this means he must have stunk of late. His career shows how hard it is to excel at baseball. He's got some tools but has yet to break through as a consistent star. Had the magical BA two years ago.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

My fave Avi must be slumping of late. He's down to .250; 10 RBI, four homers. Like I said, this means he must have stunk of late. His career shows how hard it is to excel at baseball. He's got some tools but has yet to break through as a consistent star. Had the magical BA two years ago.

Still better than what the Sox have been able to produce in RF this season, although things have improved since demoting Palka.