AND THAT IS A 3RD STRAIGHT WHITE SOX WINNER!

Greg Hibbard

Why do people keep pitting decisions like Narvaez against McCann when it's as big of an indictment on Castillo. I know its heresy around here, but Narvaez actually improved defensively and is basically equal to what Castillo offers, but Narvaez is now a better offensive catcher and does not ditch his new team because he needed to roid to justify his contract.

I still would have liked a better framer than McCann, but his gamecalling is legit and probably more important to advance our game calling from "fastball/slider through first three innings, then start throwing change" that was essentially all we did last year.

But with Narvaez/McCann the sox would have the 5 and 7 best catchers this year according to fWAR, and a better DH/Catcher combo than Castillo, who is garbage. 

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Just saw on twitter, last year when the Sox won their 12th game, they were 18 games under 500.

But everything is dire, this is the worst team they've run out on the field, and Eloy Jimenez is a bust

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why do people keep pitting decisions like Narvaez against McCann when it's as big of an indictment on Castillo. I know its heresy around here, but Narvaez actually improved defensively and is basically equal to what Castillo offers, but Narvaez is now a better offensive catcher and does not ditch his new team because he needed to roid to justify his contract.

I still would have liked a better framer than McCann, but his gamecalling is legit and probably more important to advance our game calling from "fastball/slider through first three innings, then start throwing change" that was essentially all we did last year.

But with Narvaez/McCann the sox would have the 5 and 7 best catchers this year according to fWAR, and a better DH/Catcher combo than Castillo, who is garbage. 

Probably because Castillo is an expiring contract and Narvaez netted a much needed closer. IMO, Colome + McCann > Narvaez. And yes, I know the dollar cost of Colome and McCann is greater than Narvaez but that doesn’t seem like an issue in the near term with a team payroll running sub $100M. 

Another nice perk with the McCann signing is that he’s under team control again next season via arbitration. He could serve as the starter next season while they ease Collins in or they could go out sign Grandal and relegate McCann to a backup role.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also have very little confidence that McCann will finish year above 100 wrC+ but I have loved his gamecalling, so I'm a much bigger fan than I was in offseason.

I would be ecstatic if you told me McCann put up a wRC+ over 90 before the year started.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Colome is going to the return something far more valuable than Narvaez.  It was a good trade.  Narvaez can hit a bit, but he is an awful catcher, especially for a young staff.  

We will pay Colome probably 16 million over his 2 years here. 

Keep Narvaez, trade Castillo in offseason for nothing, even eat half, have an additional $12 million to commit to finding a closer in the free agent market. 

Sign mccann.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colome is going to the return something far more valuable than Narvaez.  It was a good trade.  Narvaez can hit a bit, but he is an awful catcher, especially for a young staff.  

These are the types of things that are oft-repeated but I'm not remotely convinced by. Colome has been traded 3 times, has less control and is more expensive now. We've seen what that type of profile nets you.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

These are the types of things that are oft-repeated but I'm not remotely convinced by. Colome has been traded 3 times, has less control and is more expensive now. We've seen what that type of profile nets you.

If he keeps pitching like he is right now, someone will give us a nice prospect or two for him in July.  That is far more useful to the Sox than a bat only catcher with an extremely young pitching staff.  

I wasn't a fan of the trade when it happened.  But I am now.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Soria/Ottavino/Robertson.

All of whom have been pretty sad. SSS and all, but pretty much all the relievers signed last winter have been terrible. Meanwhile, Colome (and Herrera) have been fantastic.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I mean, yeah, SSS is kinda a big part of that. And Ottavino has not been bad and has not had the light schedule we have had.

Soria is fine, he had some bad luck. 

Ottavino has a 1.395 WHIP and 11 walks in 14.1 innings.  He has not been very good.  

Just now, bmags said:

I mean, yeah, SSS is kinda a big part of that. And Ottavino has not been bad and has not had the light schedule we have had.

Soria is fine, he had some bad luck. 

I have a hard time trusting a 33 year old with little to no prior closing experience to be the closer for the next 3 years.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

All well past their prime...

Uh, colome is 30. Do you think he's going to be our closer for the next generation or something? These guys purpose was to get us a stabilized back end. They will all need to be replaced when the time comes, and hopefully internally.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Ottavino has a 1.395 WHIP and 11 walks in 14.1 innings.  He has not been very good.  

I, too, read "has not been bad" as "has been very good". Walks are in Ottavino's profile, his k's are there, he'll have variations but I would not be deterred by him back there. We'd give him more space to develop, but he'll always be valuable at deadline because he k's guys.

Just now, bmags said:

Uh, colome is 30. Do you think he's going to be our closer for the next generation or something? These guys purpose was to get us a stabilized back end. They will all need to be replaced when the time comes, and hopefully internally.

No, just the next two years which is fine. Some combo of the guys you mentioned over the next two years would result in many more blown saves and late inning losses than Colome.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I, too, read "has not been bad" as "has been very good". Walks are in Ottavino's profile, his k's are there, he'll have variations but I would not be deterred by him back there. We'd give him more space to develop, but he'll always be valuable at deadline because he k's guys.

Lol, use whatever term you want.  Ottavino has not been good / has been bad.  Same shit.  He's been FAR worse than Colome for the first ~20% of the season.  

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

No, just the next two years which is fine. Some combo of the guys you mentioned over the next two years would result in many more blown saves and late inning losses than Colome.

I'll take my chances. Victory laps after april tend not to last.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think you can squint and see an 80 win team here. Maybe I'm nuts but they're clearly moving in the right direction. 

With Eloy on the shelf, the OF is so ugly.  I am totally cool with running Leury out in CF everyday - he's been pretty useful.  But with Eloy out, shifting Leury to LF and having to play Engel is so gross.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With Eloy on the shelf, the OF is so ugly.  I am totally cool with running Leury out in CF everyday - he's been pretty useful.  But with Eloy out, shifting Leury to LF and having to play Engel is so gross.  

I meant with Eloy in the lineup. Him missing 4-6 weeks is going to keep them from winning 80 games imo. They'll win 72-77. 75 sounds about right. 

Edited by Jack Parkman