Luis Gonzalez

Dominikk85

Have the prospect guys been right to not rank him in the top100 after his big year? Was he just a 22 yo advanced college bat dominating A ball?

So far he is doing very bad this year. Interestingly his k to bb rate is virtually the same, it is just his power and babip being down. Now babip should come back up and power too to some degree but the 354 from last year still probably weren't sustainable.

If he is a 300 hitter with a 190 ISO he is a good prospect but if it is 270 with a 150 ISO it is not so great. I still think he at least can become a 4th outfielder but last years performance was probably at the limit.

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Have the prospect guys been right to not rank him in the top100 after his big year? Was he just a 22 yo advanced college bat dominating A ball?

So far he is doing very bad this year. Interestingly his k to bb rate is virtually the same, it is just his power and babip being down. Now babip should come back up and power too to some degree but the 354 from last year still probably weren't sustainable.

If he is a 300 hitter with a 190 ISO he is a good prospect but if it is 270 with a 150 ISO it is not so great. I still think he at least can become a 4th outfielder but last years performance was probably at the limit.

Quite possible, But Birmingham is probably the worst place to hit in the world. Add in the 2,000 rain outs and delays this wet spring, and I still have hope for a bounce back.

I'd still like to know why Birmingham is such a difficult place to hit. If it's merely the park's big outfield dimensions, that would actually help batting averages. However, the averages are even worse than the power numbers. How is the lighting in that park?

55 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'd still like to know why Birmingham is such a difficult place to hit. If it's merely the park's big outfield dimensions, that would actually help batting averages. However, the averages are even worse than the power numbers. How is the lighting in that park?

Perhaps humidity could play a factor, resulting in a heavier ball?

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Very humid, hot and bad hitting back drop. Sea level, ball doesn't carry. Outfielders can play in a bit and take away hits because it's hard to hit it over their heads.

Edited by zisk
add

It's one of those things with birmingham. As long as his k:bb rate is fine, it is worth seeing him with the mlb ball in AAA before I write him off.

The stuff that 'birmingham' shouldn't cause is 35% k rates. That's the tremendous AA stuff.