The path back to .500 in our sights?

Richie

1 hour ago, Richie said:

I mean, by this philosophy - you should only be concerned with winning if you think you have a shot at the world series. "What's the point of winning the division? We're going to lose right away in the playoffs."

Look, I get that this is a rebuild. However, you can't just lose 95 games every season up until your "pre-determined contending" season and be under the impression that "Welp! Suddenly we're going to be great now because it's 2020! Remember how everyone promised we'd be good in 2020? Well, here we are!". It's not just going to happen overnight.

You need to see signs of growth from the team. Seeing them find ways to win is a big part of that. The rotation has been quite poor, but Cease is on his way up and Kuechel (or other outside help) is an option. Eloy and the young players should only get better. If I believed this team was as good as it was going to get in 2019. Sure, I would agree that we're going to hit some mega rough patch at some point. However, there's real concrete reasons for cautious/realistic optimism here. Wishing for .500 and some competitive baseball isn't asking for the world. 

I'm not one of these guys who actually thinks we're going to be in a serious wild card hunt come September. However, to suggest that we should still (one year before we all think we're going to be a serious contender) be disregarding winning/losing entirely is just silly... That mentality has to end at some point. 

Well said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richie said:

I think you're misinterpreting a lot of people's thoughts. All I see is hopes that we can have some fun this year and (as opposed to the last couple of seasons) put up a fight. I haven't read this thread post for post... but is anyone really saying that they think we're going to win the 2nd AL Wild Card?  

I'm actually not otherwise I wouldn't have made the post. Maybe it's not in this thread. maybe it is but I have seen posts about bringing up Cease,Robert,Madrigal getting Keuchel and Kimbrel and going for it this year.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm actually not otherwise I wouldn't have made the post. Maybe it's not in this thread. maybe it is but I have seen posts about bringing up Cease,Robert,Madrigal getting Keuchel and Kimbrel and going for it this year.

I just think separating everyone as "eternal optimist or pessimist" is a bit unfair, that's all. I think that most realize that this team (notably the rotation) is obviously flawed. People are certainly interested in adding some help for this season. I might be in for a Kuechel contract as well. I think a lot of people are for that kind of thing, so long as it doesn't compromise anything going forward. However, I think that even those people have a decent amount of perspective on this team and understand that true contention is at least a year away. I don't think anyone is jumping around saying "We've made it!"

13 minutes ago, Richie said:

I just think separating everyone as "eternal optimist or pessimist" is a bit unfair, that's all. I think that most realize that this team (notably the rotation) is obviously flawed. People are certainly interested in adding some help for this season. I might be in for a Kuechel contract as well. I think a lot of people are for that kind of thing, so long as it doesn't compromise anything going forward. However, I think that even those people have a decent amount of perspective on this team and understand that true contention is at least a year away. I don't think anyone is jumping around saying "We've made it!"

Pessimism/Optimism are a spectrum. You're not either one or the other. It is more gray than that. Last year, you would see me as a pessimist. This year, you'd see me as an optimist. Why the change? Evidence. 

I don't think that reaching .500 is totally unrealistic, but we must keep in mind this is a young team, and young teams are prone to mistakes. Everyone likes the sensational play, but it is the failure to execute the routine plays that costs teams in the end. Many want the players to have fun, and I do also. But I don't want to see that getting in the way of concentrating on the routine but the essential part of baseball.

What concerns me are series like the one in Minnesota. Yes, the Twins were hot, but the Sox had similar flameouts against Seattle and Tampa. Seeing the team play so bad like that is not encouraging.

The team does look better, and, if the Sox win between 75 and 80 games, that's a good sign for the rebuild. I just hope the next off season isn't like the last one.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"Realists" look at life as it is, not as many "hope" it will be.

And pessimists always refer to themselves as "realists" in order to rationalize their eternally bleak outlook. 

Constantly looking at life through darkened, scratched up lenses is no more or less rational than looking at life through lenses laden with flower and rainbow colors. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Pessimism/Optimism are a spectrum. You're not either one or the other. It is more gray than that. Last year, you would see me as a pessimist. This year, you'd see me as an optimist. Why the change? Evidence. 

Well said