FS: White Sox Select HS RHP Matthew Thompson

Rankin

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

So, admittedly, I don't know a lot about this player, but I have to say, I think I would prefer the hypothetical player( or players) they could have acquired for Kimbrel at the deadline.  I kept being told that this pick was the reason they couldn't sign and trade Kimbrel.  

Again, not that I don't like him, I don't know really anything about him, and I really like the idea of the Sox taking a high ceiling HS pitcher.  I just think they could have probably gotten a top 30 type prospect for Kimbrel.  Oh well.  They should still sign him and trade him!

Well it’s not quite a 1:1 trade off. We would lose that slot amountz

Thompson likely got a bit below slot, and that allowed going after our 3rd and 4th round picks. Without that additional million our draft is completely different.

I also doubt that Kimberly would have made us a top 30 prospect.

18 hours ago, turnin' two said:

So, admittedly, I don't know a lot about this player, but I have to say, I think I would prefer the hypothetical player( or players) they could have acquired for Kimbrel at the deadline.  I kept being told that this pick was the reason they couldn't sign and trade Kimbrel.  

Again, not that I don't like him, I don't know really anything about him, and I really like the idea of the Sox taking a high ceiling HS pitcher.  I just think they could have probably gotten a top 30 type prospect for Kimbrel.  Oh well.  They should still sign him and trade him!

A few things to unpack here:

1) White Sox currently would not make sense to sign Kimbrel, he wanted to go to a clear contender.

2) Signing a free agent with the sole intention of flipping him in a month is just bad business. Good luck luring premium free agents to your organization again if they did this. 

3) Kimbrel has zero to do with drafting a prep arm in the second round

16 hours ago, bmags said:

Well it’s not quite a 1:1 trade off. We would lose that slot amountz

Thompson likely got a bit below slot, and that allowed going after our 3rd and 4th round picks. Without that additional million our draft is completely different.

I also doubt that Kimberly would have made us a top 30 prospect.

That is fair.  I guess I was assuming he would sign for slot.  But do you really think, Kimbrel wouldn't get a top 30 guy?  Hmm, I certainly would have thought so, not set in stone of course.  But maybe I am off in that valuation.  I was just going off what premium top end closers typically net teams.  Isn't there a pretty established track record of top level guys going back the other way?

Edited by turnin' two

11 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

A few things to unpack here:

1) White Sox currently would not make sense to sign Kimbrel, he wanted to go to a clear contender.

2) Signing a free agent with the sole intention of flipping him in a month is just bad business. Good luck luring premium free agents to your organization again if they did this. 

3) Kimbrel has zero to do with drafting a prep arm in the second round

1) Yeah, you don't lie to him.  You don't pretend anything.  You tell him, you sign with us, play with us for 3-3.5 months, then you'll be with a contender.  Sign with us, and perform and we will trade you to a contender before the deadline.   

2) See above.  And really?  Bad business?  Hasn't signing veterans with the intention of flipping them been an established practice with rebuilding teams?  And as for the good luck, I think we all know you make your own luck signing premium free agents.  You know, either by offering the most money, or failing that, signing all their facebook friends.

3) Yeah duh.  I didn't connect that in any way did I?  I was just saying I am all on board with the idea of drafting prep arms.  I liked the use of the pick, but think it could have probably netted a better, closer (read less risky, not get him up here) to the majors player, if it had been cashed traded in singing for Kimbrel.

Edited by turnin' two

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

1) Yeah, you don't lie to him.  You don't pretend anything.  You tell him, you sign with us, play with us for 3-3.5 months, then you'll be with a contender.  Sign with us, and perform and we will trade you to a contender before the deadline.   

2) See above.  And really?  Bad business?  Hasn't signing veterans with the intention of flipping them been an established practice with rebuilding teams?

3) Yeah duh.  I didn't connect that in any way did I?  I was just saying I am all on board with the idea of drafting prep arms.  I liked the use of the pick, but think it could have probably netted a better, closer (read less risky, not get him up here) to the majors player, if it had been cashed traded in singing for Kimbrel.

Sox were never serious suitors for Kimbrel. They are not ready to go all in on spending to contend, and might not be ready until after next season. 

Edited by steveno89

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox were never serious suitors for Kimbrel. They are not ready to go all in on spending to contend, and might not be ready until after next season. 

Yeah, never really thought they were.  They were never connected in any way. As well as the fact that they really don't care to spend on premium guys or, even semi premuim guys.  Really they only spend in the clearance aisle.  It was more just an offseason conversation to divert from "sign Manny"  or "sign Harper" whom, as we were to learn, they were never real suitors for either.  

Edited by turnin' two

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

That is fair.  I guess I was assuming he would sign for slot.  But do you really think, Kimbrel wouldn't get a top 30 guy?  Hmm, I certainly would have thought so, not set in stone of course.  But maybe I am off in that valuation.  I was just going off what premium top end closers typically net teams.  Isn't there a pretty established track record of top level guys going back the other way?

First off, obviously I wrote that on a phone, my goodness.

It may depend on how depressed his signing would have been pre-draft (not sure it would have been), but between him being paid market and the decline he showed in september, we just aren't talking about the same Kimbrel we were 3-4 years ago.