Yolbert Sanchez to Sox??

EvilJester99

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yogurt Sanchez.

?

I assume this guy will be our replacement for Yolmer Sanchez because he is getting too pricey for a backup infielder going forward.  But I don’t see how guaranteeing an unproven “Yogurt” Sanchez $2.5 million is much better.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

?

I assume this guy will be our replacement for Yolmer Sanchez because he is getting too pricey for a backup infielder going forward.  But I don’t see how guaranteeing an unproven “Yogurt” Sanchez $2.5 million is much better.

Spending several years getting to know, scouting, and signing several high-level prospects with our international funds now that we are out of the penalty box would require a lot of work. Finding an older Cuban who has a decent chance of filling a backup role at some point is far less work and is easier on the overworked front office staff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Spending several years getting to know, scouting, and signing several high-level prospects with our international funds now that we are out of the penalty box would require a lot of work. Finding an older Cuban who has a decent chance of filling a backup role at some point is far less work and is easier on the overworked front office staff. 

The White Sox 2016 class is pretty promising and there are some interesting guys (Jose Rodriguez) in the AZL from the last couple years. Allocating resources in this manner is a bit puzzling but they must see something in the bat of Sanchez. They saw him a lot since he was teammates with Robert. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox 2016 class is pretty promising and there are some interesting guys (Jose Rodriguez) in the AZL from the last couple years. Allocating resources in this manner is a bit puzzling but they must see something in the bat of Sanchez. They saw him a lot since he was teammates with Robert. 

Were they teammates for anything outside of the one 18U tournament? Because that was like two weeks long, so it wasn't a long look and he did really bad at it.

This would make Sanchez close to the highest paid player in the class, I would think. I just don't see it...where's the upside? Does it not mean anything that he played terribly in the Cuban league?

29 minutes ago, Jake said:

This would make Sanchez close to the highest paid player in the class, I would think. I just don't see it...where's the upside? Does it not mean anything that he played terribly in the Cuban league?

They must like his tools or something. But I agree. He's already 22 as well.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Well, he already has an mlb ready skill. I'm sure they look at it like they could spend 2.5 million for a sure something vs spread it around and more likely never see the guys get above A ball.

It is frustrating because I'm sure they look at it and say they've done a great job knowing when to attack the more mature players when they arrive on the market on intl.

But at the same time they have just failed to develop any pipeline of the cheaper, younger talent that has been dominating the league recently and can provide unbelievable surplus value.

And there is a chance that he developed something to make him...sign. Whatever. Please just be good. What's done is done.

19 hours ago, Jake said:

How do you figure? There are multiple $4 and $5 million signings. 

21 hours ago, Jake said:

Sanchez is reported to have 65 grade defense at SS by MLB.com, which is nothing to scoff. If a player like that develops the hit tool to be adequate you are looking at a regular or a utility player at minimum. 

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sanchez is reported to have 65 grade defense at SS by MLB.com, which is nothing to scoff. If a player like that develops the hit tool to be adequate you are looking at a regular or a utility player at minimum. 

it's just that a fully formed, actualized version of this signed for 2.5 million to play this year (Jose Iglesias). Considering the huge value that could be created from international it's a crappy use of resources to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bmags said:

it's just that a fully formed, actualized version of this signed for 2.5 million to play this year (Jose Iglesias). Considering the huge value that could be created from international it's a crappy use of resources to me.

Huh.  Hadn't thought of it like that.  That does seem, well crappy.  

But then, getting a 22 year old version of Iglesias for the next 6 years for a 2.5 million investment does seem like it makes a heck of a lot of sense.  Especially if he can really pick it at SS, that would maybe allow the Sox to solve their RF problem as well as their SS makes 35 errors problem.

I guess the more I think about it, I like him as a player and think it makes sense (still shows a complete waste and terrible planning for this J2 though).  There is a lot to be said for a slick fielding SS.  And I don't know much about him, but will dream on even an Andrelton Simmons offensive profile ( I have no hope he would be that good defensively), but if he can play SS, and produce a .700 OPS with some stolen bases, well, that could be a valuable piece to hit 9th in the lineup.  Though I guess Ricky would hit him cleanup unless Alonso is still on the team.  

Heck, even if he can be what Iglesias is, which is basically a 2 WAR player, that would be pretty darn good.

Again, I don't know anything about him, but it is something to dream on I guess (crap am I overly optimistic).

Edited by turnin' two

9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Huh.  Hadn't thought of it like that.  That does seem, well crappy.  

But then, getting a 22 year old version of Iglesias for the next 6 years for a 2.5 million investment does seem like it makes a heck of a lot of sense.  Especially if he can really pick it at SS, that would maybe allow the Sox to solve their RF problem as well as their SS makes 35 errors problem.

I guess the more I think about it, I like him as a player and think it makes sense (still shows a complete waste and terrible planning for this J2 though).  There is a lot to be said for a slick fielding SS.  And I don't know much about him, but will dream on even an Andrelton Simmons offensive profile ( I have no hope he would be that good defensively), but if he can play SS, and produce a .700 OPS with some stolen bases, well, that could be a valuable piece to hit 9th in the lineup.  Though I guess Ricky would hit him cleanup unless Alonso is still on the team.  

Heck, even if he can be what Iglesias is, which is basically a 2 WAR player, that would be pretty darn good.

Again, I don't know anything about him, but it is something to dream on I guess (crap am I overly optimistic).

I think the jose iglesias contract indicates there is not a lot of value there regardless. Defense only SSs could be acquired fairly cheaply. Tim is having some trouble again with errors, but provides way more value as a shortstop than a RF, and the combo of slugging RF/TA at SS is much more potent than TA at RF, competent, replaceable SS at SS. You'd be looking to upgrade that position constantly so the savings wouldn't be that helpful.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&team=0

Interestingly enough, we already developed or at least identified 2 of the Top Ten Fielding SS’s.

Semien at #3 and Anderson at #10.   3 of the Top Ten If you count Tatis, Jr.

Iglesias was 4th.

The craziest stat was in RF though...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=rf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2018-01-01&enddate=2018-12-31

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&team=0

Interestingly enough, we already developed or at least identified 2 of the Top Ten Fielding SS’s.

Semien at #3 and Anderson at #10.   3 of the Top Ten If you count Tatis, Jr.

Iglesias was 4th.

The craziest stat was in RF though...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=rf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2018-01-01&enddate=2018-12-31

What I get on links is 2018 data.  Is that what you wanted?