I have some bad trade ideas

bmags

Hi everyone I have thought of some trades that I haven't thought through that much and should probably keep to myself. It's an offday though so I am sharing it with you.

The "What?" trades

Alex Colome for mike foltynewicz 

- I don't even know who would do this or if everyone would feel bad about it, but it's a good ole major league for major league trade! Folty was recently demoted, is maddeningly inconsistent, has a staff in atlanta that should make him his best version of himself but has failed. I'm all in! Let's get him!

Alex Colome for Travis Shaw 

- Why did you write this down?

Bummer and Joel Booker to Cards for Dylan Carlson

Colome to Cards for Ryan Helsley and Genesis Cabrera

The "Why?" trades

Taylor Varnell for Tommy Milone (SEA)

- Would be nice to get a guy that eats innings and could do bullpen days or spot starts.

Laz Rivera for Drew Pomeranz

Not even going to put down my ReyLo to Pads trades.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Hi everyone I have thought of some trades that I haven't thought through that much and should probably keep to myself. It's an offday though so I am sharing it with you.

The "What?" trades

- I don't even know who would do this or if everyone would feel bad about it, but it's a good ole major league for major league trade! Folty was recently demoted, is maddeningly inconsistent, has a staff in atlanta that should make him his best version of himself but has failed. I'm all in! Let's get him!

Alex Colome for Travis Shaw 

- Why did you write this down?

Bummer and Joel Booker to Cards for Dylan Carlson

Colome to Cards for Ryan Helsley and Genesis Cabrera

The "Why?" trades

Taylor Varnell for Tommy Milone (SEA)

- Would be nice to get a guy that eats innings and could do bullpen days or spot starts.

Laz Rivera for Drew Pomeranz

Not even going to put down my ReyLo to Pads trades.

I like 'em all.

Anderson's injury exposes us at SS and I'd really like to see us target either the Mets or Brewers and try to pry away one of their young SS's. It might take a tad more than Colome but I'd love to see Turang in our system. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah I kinda wanted an old timey Contreras for loaiza trade.

I remember I was driving back to Chicago from Milwaukee listening to WBBM news and in sports they said "The White Sox have traded Esteban Loaiza to the Yankees" but that is all they said.  I called back to the radio, "for who?"  Then I fantasized that they picked up that pitcher my Dad and I had seen pitch for the Yankees at Sox park one game, Jose Contreras.  And then boom.  I was very happy.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If the Angels called the Sox and said "we'll give you Trout for Jimenez, Robert, Kopech, Walker and Cease" would you make the trade?

You bet I make that trade...Can you imagine the prospects we would get for flipping Trout?!?! :cool:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I remember I was driving back to Chicago from Milwaukee listening to WBBM news and in sports they said "The White Sox have traded Esteban Loaiza to the Yankees" but that is all they said.  I called back to the radio, "for who?"  Then I fantasized that they picked up that pitcher my Dad and I had seen pitch for the Yankees at Sox park one game, Jose Contreras.  And then boom.  I was very happy.

I too was stoked. ??

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No!!!!   He's good but not close to 5 stars good.

46 minutes ago, wegner said:

You bet I make that trade...Can you imagine the prospects we would get for flipping Trout?!?! :cool:

56 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No?

Good god people, this thread is to come up with stupid trade ideas and you think I'm serious?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

This probably isn't a bad trade idea. But I don't think the Braves would give up on Mike fhqwhgads this quickly.

I live in "Braves Country" and the ESPN sports blab in my city, the dudes won't shut up about how "terrible the Braves bullpen" is and how their GM "is working to" fix it.

#shrug

20 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Good god people, this thread is to come up with stupid trade ideas and you think I'm serious?

And you don't think it's a stupid trade idea to trade for Trout and flip him?  I am trying to play along here. :)

45 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

This probably isn't a bad trade idea. But I don't think the Braves would give up on Mike fhqwhgads this quickly.

I live in "Braves Country" and the ESPN sports blab in my city, the dudes won't shut up about how "terrible the Braves bullpen" is and how their GM "is working to" fix it.

#shrug

I don’t know they would have either but I would be a supporter. If I was braves I would put folty in bullpen rather than trade him for a bp

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

If the Angels called the Sox and said "we'll give you Trout for Jimenez, Robert, Kopech, Walker and Cease" would you make the trade?

Of course not. Unless we suddenly were gonna start spending like the Yankees. We have to believe in those Sox players or the rebuild is certain to flop. I mean I guess I'd be OK with that trade if we just changed the name of the team to the Chicago Trout. This one man team would not win ... ever.

This is exactly the type of trade we’ve been unable to pull off under Hahn...and it’s pretty clear we no longer have the expendable horses in the minors to bring in the next Christian Yelich, so we absolutely have to find 2-3 fWAR players in more creative ways.  The best Hahn has come up with is Palka, Tilson and Cordell.  Not good enough.

7. Oscar Mercado, OF, Cleveland Indians

Mercado was picked up by the Indians in an under-the-radar trade at the deadline last year, and it now looks like a real steal for the Tribe. He was acquired in exchange for outfielders Conner Capel and Jhon Torres. Mercado has been impressive, slashing .307/.358/.465 with eight doubles, four homers and six stolen bases in 34 games since being called up. In the minors, he was slashing .294/.396/.496 with 10 doubles, four homers and 14 stolen bases in 17 attempts. He’s an exciting player with a good combination of power and speed and above-average bat speed. He looks to be a below-average defender in the outfield, but he’s a high-energy, athletic player who might end up playing a key role for the Indians in the wild-card race.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

This is exactly the type of trade we’ve been unable to pull off under Hahn...and it’s pretty clear we no longer have the expendable horses in the minors to bring in the next Christian Yelich, so we absolutely have to find 2-3 fWAR players in more creative ways.

7. Oscar Mercado, OF, Cleveland Indians

Mercado was picked up by the Indians in an under-the-radar trade at the deadline last year, and it now looks like a real steal for the Tribe. He was acquired in exchange for outfielders Conner Capel and Jhon Torres. Mercado has been impressive, slashing .307/.358/.465 with eight doubles, four homers and six stolen bases in 34 games since being called up. In the minors, he was slashing .294/.396/.496 with 10 doubles, four homers and 14 stolen bases in 17 attempts. He’s an exciting player with a good combination of power and speed and above-average bat speed. He looks to be a below-average defender in the outfield, but he’s a high-energy, athletic player who might end up playing a key role for the Indians in the wild-card race.

Is this really Caulfield? Do u still exist? The font and size is non-Caulfield style. Where u been? You are a Hall of Fame poster.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Is this really Caulfield? Do u still exist? The font and size is non-Caulfield style. Where u been? You are a Hall of Fame poster.

LoL...still exist, actually coming back to the US from China for summer vacation and will experience AT&T Park in SF for the first time Sunday.

At any rate, that’s nice of you to say, but message boards are increasingly the territory the territory of millennials and “Sabes-driven” conversations...I kind of miss the day when people just had their opinions and it wasn’t about just proving everyone to be wrong with analytics.   Back then, you could have asked 100 different fans who they preferred between Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Clemente and gotten a ton of fascinating yet completely subjective answers.  

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

LoL...still exist, actually coming back to the US from China for summer vacation and will experience AT&T Park in SF for the first time Sunday.

At any rate, that’s nice of you to say, but message boards are increasingly the territory the territory of millennials and “Sabes-driven” conversations...I kind of miss the day when people just had their opinions and it wasn’t about just proving everyone to be wrong with analytics.   Back then, you could have asked 100 different fans who they preferred between Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Clemente and gotten a ton of fascinating yet completely subjective answers.  

Caulfield u gonna be in KC at all this summer? I can meet you either at a Royals game (yuk, unless it's against Sox) or give u a tour of Allen Fieldhouse. Unless of course I make it back to Chitown. GO SOX!

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

My biggest "only" problem with the board (I respect the owner and mods for their efforts and time) is a.) modern fans who hate on their own. Hate may be too strong a word but I feel like if a player has a 3-4 year history of goodness to excellence with your team, you should always want to keep the guy and give the guy a break when struggling (Abreu, Konerko, Jenks, Dye, Ozzie, guys I've gotten in fights over). b.) The dismissal of RBI, HR, Wins, Saves, Losses. I could accept this if the fricking big league announcers didn't use these stats but they do!! They are vital in every broadcast of every team. And yet you cite them on a message board and you are ... buried!   c.) The failure of the younger posters to understand why some of us don't give a flip about the draft and simply want to win every game we play. To me there's nothing like being in the race even if the team ultimately flops in September or late August. Throwing away seasons is a waste of precious time in life. "Wait til next year" is a chant of losers IMO. Even if the Sox of the Bill Melton era won 50 games one year, a true fan IMO wanted win No. 51, not some ridiculous draft pick. And a good Sox fan years ago sorely wanted to finish better than the Cubs record wise even if it was one game. Now, yawns on the Sox-Cubs thing. 

That said ... adios and may the summer last forever! Winter blows!

Edited by greg775