And That's a White Sox Winner !

That McCann has been awesome is well known to everyone and not lost on the front office (who deftly identified and attracted him to Sox in the first place). For all we know, Hahn could be negotiating or have already come to a framework for a long term deal with him. Its not like the front office doesn't understand what they have in McCann and what his market is today vs. the future.  

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

That McCann has been awesome is well known to everyone and not lost on the front office (who deftly identified and attracted him to Sox in the first place). For all we know, Hahn could be negotiating or have already come to a framework for a long term deal with him. Its not like the front office doesn't understand what they have in McCann and what his market is today vs. the future.  

Yes, I suspect that they have been monitoring him, for a long time. The Sox drafted him, out of high school, albeit in the 31ST round. He went to the University of Arkansas, instead.

Edited by Lillian

49 minutes ago, Flash said:

McCann strikes me as a guy who would value the security of an extension over top dollar in the future.  Sale and Q both made the same decision.

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Yes, I suspect that they have been monitoring him, for a long time. The Sox drafted him, out of high school, albeit in the 31ST round. He went to the University of Arkansas, instead.

I think we will have to go at least 4 years for somewhere in the $35-45M range, which, by todays standards, would be a bargain. 

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No way.  That’s more than McCann will get.

You really don't think that he would get even $35 Million, on a 4 year deal? Isn't he worth $8.5 to $9M per year?

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

You really don't think that he would get even $35 Million, on a 4 year deal? Isn't he worth $8.5 to $9M per year?

I think the Sox will bring him back next year on a one year deal and he won’t put up these numbers again.  Hence, he won’t sniff that kind of money.

21 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think the Sox will bring him back next year on a one year deal and he won’t put up these numbers again.  Hence, he won’t sniff that kind of money.

What kind of offensive production would you expect him to put up, going forward? How good of a catcher do you think he is? Upon what are you basing your assessment?

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

What kind of offensive production would you expect him to put up, going forward? How good of a catcher do you think he is? Upon what are you basing your assessment?

I think he will put up around a .750 OPS next year.  He will still be a valuable catcher but not a stud like he is now.  I am basing this on his majority of major league at bats.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

50 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think he will put up around a .750 OPS next year.  He will still be a valuable catcher but not a stud like he is now.  I am basing this on his majority of major league at bats.

Of course, one can simply look at the back of a baseball card, and assume that any given player will produce, as he has in the past. Well, at least you are given him credit for having a brighter future than his career .684 OPS. In any case, I would hope that the Sox player evaluation staff employs a little more sophisticated approach than that.

So, are we to assume that you don't give much credence to the idea that he has changed his approach, by taking the ball the other way, rather than trying to pull everything, as he says that he used to do? Or, that he has become one of the best 2 strike hitters in baseball, by choking up on the bat, when down in the count, by 2 strikes.

Edited by Lillian

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Of course, one can simply look at the back of a baseball card, and assume that any given player will produce, as he has in the past. I would hope that the Sox player evaluation staff employs a little more sophisticated approach than that. So, are we to assume that you don't give much credence to the idea that he has changed his approach, by taking the ball the other way, rather than trying to pull everything, as he says that he used to do? Or, that he has become one of the best 2 strike hitters in baseball, by choking up on the bat, when down in the count, by 2 strikes.

I think his walk to strikeout rate will also be his undoing once his hot streak ends.  This isn’t like Moncada struggling in his first full season and then becoming a stud.  McCann becoming a stud at 29 after 4 full mediocre seasons of baseball just doesn’t seem likely to continue.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think his walk to strikeout rate will also be his undoing once his hot streak ends.

You may be correct, but I have more confidence in his ability to be better than you expect him to be. I'm sure that you hope you are wrong, as do I. Again, I don't expect him to continue, at his current pace, but I'd be very satisfied with something around a .280 Average, and a .340 OBP, with a little power and continued plus defence, with exceptional leadership qualities. That would represent a very solid fixture behind the plate.