Hahn: Burger might be out until fall

caulfield12

The amount of guys who have missed big chunks of multiple consecutive seasons in astounding.  Burdi, Burger, Dunning, & Adolfo are the big ones, but then you got guys like A.J Puckett, Andre Davis, & Victor Davis who legit haven’t pitched in a professional game since 2017.  I’m sure I’m missing some others as well, but it’s crazy as fuck.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The amount of guys who have missed big chunks of multiple consecutive seasons in astounding.  Burdi, Burger, Dunning, & Adolfo are the big ones, but then you got guys like A.J Puckett, Andre Davis, & Victor Davis who legit haven’t pitched in a professional game since 2017.  I’m sure I’m missing some others as well, but it’s crazy as fuck.

I’m just as worried about those three key reliever injuries....because Burdi, Burr and Hamilton were supposed to be the core of the next contending pen.

And wasn’t Kade McClure yet another in that next group with Tyler Johnson who also went down with an major injury in the last year or so?

Right now, we’ve gotten no or more or less negative net value from Hawkins, Rodon (moreso his value or lack thereof currently), Fulmer, Burdi, Burger and Collins if you add them all up together.   That’s not the greatest track record, and almost impossible for mid-market teams to overcome. 

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the conditioning programs these guys are on, or were on in college/high school. Are they being pushed too hard? Maybe they aren't being conditioned in the proper way?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the conditioning programs these guys are on, or were on in college/high school. Are they being pushed too hard? Maybe they aren't being conditioned in the proper way?

THEY ARE THROWING TOO HARD AND DAMAGING THEIR LIGAMENTS

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

THEY ARE THROWING TOO HARD AND DAMAGING THEIR LIGAMENTS

That's fine and all but that doesn't explain Burger, Basabe, etc.

I agree with the pitchers. I would rather they teach more finesse and location control like Buehrle and Maddux.

47 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I agree with the pitchers. I would rather they teach more finesse and location control like Buehrle and Maddux.

I would also like to find someone with the best control in baseball history. It's a new game right, not like you just asked for something seen once in 150 years.

5 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is what Cooper teaches, sacrificing velocity for movement. However, much of this board pretty much wants him gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

Yikes.... so many wasted draft picks.

Burger was a terrible pick from day one. Drafting a guy whose absolute ceiling is Billy Butler is never a good idea with a top 15 pick. 

Jo Adell went one pick before Burger too. What could have been... 

7 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

You waited until we drafted Burger to figure this out? 

I shut up when we drafted him cause at that time the board was quite mean compared to now and I didn't want to continue my negativity and possibly get put on vacation. I stayed neutral on Burger.

Edited by greg775

11 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Burger was a terrible pick from day one. Drafting a guy whose absolute ceiling is Billy Butler is never a good idea with a top 15 pick. 

Thanks for making me look his stats up.  Brutal.  The Sox picked a chubby 3B over that guy?  Adell is also ranked the #4 overall prospect in MLB’s top 100, one spot above Luis Robert. 

Edited by Moan4Yoan

12 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Pretty comical to compare a kid who won the award for college baseballs best defensive 3rd baseman to a guy who couldnt even play 1st base at an 8th grade level.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pretty comical to compare a kid who won the award for college baseballs best defensive 3rd baseman to a guy who couldnt even play 1st base at an 8th grade level.

Doesn’t mean much when he can’t get 200 at bats without tearing his ACL or hurting his foot.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Doesn’t mean much when he can’t get 200 at bats without tearing his ACL or hurting his foot.

Great but he cited his ceiling as billy butler. If he hit like butler did his first 5 years and played third base he'd be a 4 WAR+ player.

He cited Butler because Butler is fat and he wanted to rip burger but Butler had hands of stone and Burger has very good hands. The comparison was poor and as ignorant as when people just compare black baseball players to each other because they're both black.

Oh and Butler played 1400 MLB games which is significantly more than 97% of guys drafted after the 10th pick.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Great but he cited his ceiling as billy butler. If he hit like butler did his first 5 years and played third base he'd be a 4 WAR+ player.

He cited Butler because Butler is fat and he wanted to rip burger but Butler had hands of stone and Burger has very good hands. The comparison was poor and as ignorant as when people just compare black baseball players to each other because they're both black.

Oh and Butler played 1400 MLB games which is significantly more than 97% of guys drafted after the 10th pick.

Also likely 1400 more MLB games than Burger will play.  ?

On 6/30/2019 at 5:54 AM, caulfield12 said:

I know this is a Burger thread and not Burdi but it says in the article that he tore a ligament near his patella. If this is accurate than he probably didn't tear the patella tendon discussed earlier but probably the medial patella femoral ligament.  That is really the only significant ligament there. This a an odd injury unless he dislocated his patella.  They really have had bad luck with injuries.