Any news on Kopech?

Real

14 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

Definitely not. 

Possibly gets back to pitch for spring and then goes on a small assignment in the minors before being brought back up in 2020. 

If they keep him down through Memorial day they get a year of service time back. He was up 45 days in 2018. I don't know if they could get away with it, but they might try. Honestly if they called him up June 1st I wouldn't mind, but only if they sign two SP this offseason. They then give Lopez one last shot to get his shit together. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

44 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

Definitely not. 

Possibly gets back to pitch for spring and then goes on a small assignment in the minors before being brought back up in 2020. 

he will start the season with the Sox.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they keep him down through Memorial day they get a year of service time back. He was up 45 days in 2018. I don't know if they could get away with it, but they might try. Honestly if they called him up June 1st I wouldn't mind, but only if they sign two SP this offseason. They then give Lopez one last shot to get his shit together. 

That's assuming they option him to the minors rather than putting him on the disabled list.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The Sox seem disinterested in service time so I imagine he starts 2020 in the rotation. At worst he gets 2-3 starts in Charlotte and comes up but no way it'll be past Memorial Day.

I generally am a service time watcher, but the best way to fix the service time problem is to sign guys which, for all the bullshit people say about Rick, Hahn is actually very good at.  

I don’t like service time manipulation.  Compare baseball to even rookie contracts in basketball and it is so unfair.  Check out what Cody Bellinger is making this year v. Yonder Alonso.  I hope that Kopech is ready to go next year from the jump because he is fun to watch.  The only good reason to send him down is if he has issues ala Burdi.

18 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don’t like service time manipulation.  Compare baseball to even rookie contracts in basketball and it is so unfair.  Check out what Cody Bellinger is making this year v. Yonder Alonso.  I hope that Kopech is ready to go next year from the jump because he is fun to watch.  The only good reason to send him down is if he has issues ala Burdi.

The rules are the rules and they are collectively bargained.  When it's time to re-negotiate the CBA, the players can try to change the rules.

And honestly, the "unfair" stuff is kind of silly.  They play different sports and have different responsibilities.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right. The MLBPA can't b**** about it either because he had minimal MLB experience before his injury. 

Yeah this is true and I'd understand if the Sox made him wait. I just don't think you should screw players over with service time after they come up. 

Just now, Eloy Jiménez said:

The rules are the rules and they are collectively bargained.  

And honestly, the "unfair" stuff is kind of silly.  They play different sports and have different responsibilities.

Ha ha.  The difference isn’t the sport or the responsibilities.  The difference is that the MLBPA has decided in concert with MLB to absolutely screw over young players to give that money to 35 year old DHs.  Now that the steroid era is over, that might be changing.  Owners know how lucrative this arrangement is and it will take a strike to change it.  For the life of me, I can’t understand why people would rather see JR get the money than Michael Kopech.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Definitely not. 

He will be 100% ready for ST. He will be ready to pitch this fall if they really wanted him to, but he already said and agreed in an interview that the Sox will not want him to ramp it up at the end of the year just to shut it right back down. He agreed the best solution is just to hold off until the spring.

56 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Ha ha.  The difference isn’t the sport or the responsibilities.  The difference is that the MLBPA has decided in concert with MLB to absolutely screw over young players to give that money to 35 year old DHs.  Now that the steroid era is over, that might be changing.  Owners know how lucrative this arrangement is and it will take a strike to change it.  For the life of me, I can’t understand why people would rather see JR get the money than Michael Kopech.

The fans want the player for an extra year to cheer for. It's not about who gets the money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I'd rather Kopech get his money. This is why I'm not sure at times whether it is a better option to be a fan of players or teams. A lot of younger fans of players because they know they're not going to stick with one team the majority of their careers. 

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is absolutely what the White Sox should do.  Sign two legitimate MLB SP.  Cole and Wood would be my choices.

Roll with Cole, Gio, Cease, Wood, Lopez until late May.  Then move Lopez to the pen for Kopech unless he's been good.  

I hope they do that, but I don't see it happening.  

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Idk if they can actually get away with optioning him to start next year. Think it would be an IL stint and rehab assignment. Recent example is Jurickson Profar missing 2 straight years of service sitting in the DL.

They ABSOLUTELY can get away with it.  Dude has 14 major league innings under his belt.  He can without a doubt get optioned after ST next season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He will be 100% ready for ST. He will be ready to pitch this fall if they really wanted him to, but he already said and agreed in an interview that the Sox will not want him to ramp it up at the end of the year just to shut it right back down. He agreed the best solution is just to hold off until the spring.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

We're going to be trying to win next year. We won't be in a position to be giving Dylan Covey or Hector Santiago some starts just to screw around with Kopech's service time.

It's not just about Service Time.

The last 2 seasons, Kopech has started the year healthy but at a higher level, and he struggled for the first half of the year - particularly with his control. For example, in 2018, he was average at best until the end of June, includinng a short outing where he walked 5 or 6 people, then he ran off a string of 7-8 exceptional starts with 0-2 walks the whole time before he was called up.

If he needs some time to find his stuff or control again, as happened last year,  then there is good reason to start him off in the minors and give some innings to a Santiago/Covey/whoever is signed for that role. 

They clearly need one strong starter since Lopez/G/Kopech/Cease is only 4 names, but they certainly could use a swingman in case Kopech comes out of the gate struggling.